industry sources - AMD market share may hit new low in Q1 2016

zMeul

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20160223PD208.html

AMD is losing market share to Nvidia in the discrete GPU market while falling further behind Intel in the PC processor field. AMD is likely to suffer from a record low share of both markets in the first quarter of 2016, according to industry sources.

Demand for standalone graphics cards has already been sluggish given a weak PC market, and the market for standalone grahics cards continues to decline. In the already-shrinking market, AMD's rival Nvidia has eaten away at its market share, the sources indicated.

AMD's discrete GPU market share has also been hurt by falling shipments of its own PC processors, the sources said.

In the PC processor market, AMD's gap behind Intel has widened. And it remains uncertain whether AMD's next-generation Zen architecture can help the company make a comeback, industry sources noted.

MR_PR1a.JPG

not surprising at all, AMD hasn't released anything worth a damn in months

the Fiji X2 videocard is still to be launched, and "Polaris" GPUs for notebooks ...

for AMD to regain market share they need to release a product that fills a void, notebook GPUs won't

I said this and I will say it again, AMD did the wrong thing by not releasing the Fiji x2 video card back in the day

buying it now, when a new generation of GPUs is on it's way, would be a waste of money

And nvidia has launched shit in the last months?

Neither company has, but its still not really surprising there are so many fanboys spreading misinformation and so many misinformed consumers that amd never really stood a chance no matter what happens. 

They're going to die, that's just that. The only thing left to see is who buys them out and rebrands them.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

i wish AMD have a good kick back with the new architectures later this year

having a dominating force in the business is bad news for consumers

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Their gpu game is doing well though, with their fury/x and with the Furyx2 and Polaris coming out soon.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

4 minutes ago, Atmos said:

Neither company has, but its still not really surprising there are so many fanboys spreading misinformation and so many misinformed consumers that amd never really stood a chance no matter what happens. 

They're going to die, that's just that. The only thing left to see is who buys them out and rebrands them.

Samsung/Intel/Apple

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

4 minutes ago, Atmos said:

well they did release like five driver updates recently...lol

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, zMeul said:

they don't need to, they are still selling GTX9xx series like cookies - their market share grew since last year

Which is what I'm talking about. The most popular 900 series gpu the 970 and 960 are quite literally worse for your money. The 390 costs the same as the 970 and out performs it, the 380 costs the same as the 960 and very solidly out performs it; plainly hardly anyone should be buying those gpus, but there's so much god damned misinformation spreading and fanboying going on out there that people literally believe that nvidia is some sort of absolute power and nothing compares to them in performance.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

In the cpu market it's certainly expected, I'm a little more perplexed by the gpu market - they make good products there, while I don't necessarily expect them to gain marketshare I didn't really expect them to lose any either.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Atmos said:

should

?!

it's a buyer's market

the 390 and 390X are nothing more than rebranded 290 and 290X with more VRAM - you'd be better off buying a 290(X), it will be cheaper

Can we please skip to the part AMD collapses and we let Intel and Nvidia duke it out?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

10 minutes ago, Atmos said:

Which is what I'm talking about. The most popular 900 series gpu the 970 and 960 are quite literally worse for your money. The 390 costs the same as the 970 and out performs it, the 380 costs the same as the 960 and very solidly out performs it; plainly hardly anyone should be buying those gpus, but there's so much god damned misinformation spreading and fanboying going on out there that people literally believe that nvidia is some sort of absolute power and nothing compares to them in performance.

The GTX 970 released almost a year before the 390.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Just now, TidaLWaveZ said:

Samsung/Intel/Apple

Intel can't buy them, cpu manufacturing would then come into anti-trust territory.

And personally here's hoping that it isn't apple, unless you guys all want shit like the "Radeon 4" and "Radeon 4+" now 15mm thinner and designed to thermal throttle harder than a hick beats his wife, and all for the low, low price of 24% above the retail of other's competing hardware!

Honestly, it has to be either samsung, google (Which would be a surprise, but I could see it happening) or microsoft. 

6 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

The GTX 970 released over a year before the 390.

Im not talking about back then... I'm talking about right now and for the last year or so when the 390 was actually you know... available?

8 minutes ago, zMeul said:

?!

it's a buyer's market

the 390 and 390X are nothing more than rebranded 290 and 290X with more VRAM - you'd be better off buying a 290(X), it will be cheaper

And that makes any difference? Do you realize how hard it is to actually find a new 290/290X here in the US that has a good cooler, and 8gbs of vram for the same price as a 390?

No major retailers are still selling them for reasonable prices, everyone has moved on pretty much. And you're only further backing my point of no one should be buying the 970 xD

1 minute ago, Atmos said:

And you're only further backing my point of no one should be buying the 970 xD

why not?! I bought one and couldn't be more happier to ditch AMD's filth

27 minutes ago, Atmos said:

Im not talking about back then... I'm talking about right now and for the last year or so when the 390 was actually you know... available?

And that makes any difference? Do you realize how hard it is to actually find a new 290/290X here in the US that has a good cooler, and 8gbs of vram for the same price as a 390?

No major retailers are still selling them for reasonable prices, everyone has moved on pretty much. And you're only further backing my point of no one should be buying the 970 xD

The fact that the 970 was available a year before the 390 directly affects all of the 390's sales regardless of the timeframe.  You can count the majority of 970 cards sold prior to the 390's release as one 390 not sold once it became available.

Also the fact that it was available earlier, drives future 970 sales because a percentage of people who bought a 970 before the 390's release would buy another 970 for sli after the 390's release.

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

why not?! I bought one and couldn't be more happier to ditch AMD's filth

I'm so confused, I've already said why people are literally getting less for their money >.>

Alright, I really don't want this to turn into a fight, so I'm just gonna quickly outline why the 970 is a waste of money.

Let's start with nvidia fanboy typical arguments.

"Amd has bad drivers!"

- Not really, in fact the "Worst drivers" crown made of paperclips is passed back and forth from nvidia and amd every couple weeks.

"AMD will make your computer overheat!"

- Again, not really. If your case has even 1/2 way decent air flow then your case internal temps will be hardly higher than with a nvidia card.

"AMD DOES NOT OVERCLOCK AS WELL!"

- True, but often times the amd card will already perform better at stock, such as the case with the 960/380 debate. Overclocking the 960 brings it up to par, if not marginally faster than the 380; but people too quickly forget that you can also overclock that 380 for eve more performance once again giving it the edge over the 960.

"AMD cards will make you broke with power bill costs!"

- Uhh, okay. Well, I'm not going to lie, the 390 and 390x consume power like a mofoker, but they also have the same tdp as a titan x, and from what I remember no one was crying about that card suck down watts like a greased up chimp. Its also only perhaps a few dollars more per month if you're a heavy gamer.

The 390 and 970 debate has been started and ended thousands of times over, even here on the forums. The 390 is the better card, hands down. Unless you're invested in the nvidia environment and have already purchased a shield tablet, or g-sync monitor, then there is literally no reason to buy a 970 or 960; the 390/380 perform better and cost the same, there's no debate over that anymore.

AMD just need their next products to come out earlier than nVidia's new stuff and get a head start. ZEN needs to be great at least haswell good at cheaper prices than skylake and they should be good. But that just my logic on how they could get some shares back, plus marketing Deadpool style becasue why not :ph34r:

11 minutes ago, NateGSR117 said:

AMD just need their next products to come out earlier than nVidia's new stuff and get a head start. ZEN needs to be great at least haswell good at cheaper prices than skylake and they should be good. But that just my logic on how they could get some shares back, plus marketing Deadpool style becasue why not :ph34r:

Exactly right. That was my point above.

That head start is the main reason for the 970s success and continued success because of the option of SLi.

1 hour ago, Atmos said:

Intel can't buy them, cpu manufacturing would then come into anti-trust territory.

And personally here's hoping that it isn't apple, unless you guys all want shit like the "Radeon 4" and "Radeon 4+" now 15mm thinner and designed to thermal throttle harder than a hick beats his wife, and all for the low, low price of 24% above the retail of other's competing hardware!

Honestly, it has to be either samsung, google (Which would be a surprise, but I could see it happening) or microsoft. 

Samsung will never happen.  They're a foreign firm.  Now.  Intel can buy Radeon within a heartbeat, and nVidia will likely in its past attempts to get in to making CPUs and to get in to x86 which they emulated rather well on Denver, could purchase AMD itself while RTG goes to Intel and then we'd see something spectacular.  nVidia could consume AMD and AMD_64, negotiate with Intel for x86 and then we'd have two-way competition.  

Personally I'd love to see Apple take AMD.  The money they have is scary, and it would give Intel and NVidia the biggest run for their money once they start turning the cogs in the AMD, an Apple Company, machine.