My planned built

ausgebombt85

Hey

So I have planned my build (I did a TON of research) and I dont have a set budget, I'm just saving as much as I can. The following build plan is probably as far as I can go right now because its getting crazy  expensive for me, the fact that I don't live in the US or anywhere near it means double costs for most of my hardware (except if I can get some imported by a friend).

So anyways, this is my, as of now theoretical, build. Please share your thoughts on it with me, anything you think is out of place and such. I will probably buy my components 4 months from now (at least) and I'm aware things will change, prices will fluctuate, luckily better hardware will become available at a cheaper price point... but please indulge me here.

Also please note: I'm planning to build on top of this current planned build, adding another GTX 760 in SLI, more storage, RAM and cooling. Thus the 850w Power Supply.

I'm copy pasting from my Excel file:

CPU

Intel Core i5-3570k (1155)

M/B

Sabertooth Z77 (Asus)

RAM

Corsair DDR3 8GB (2x4GB) 1600Mhz PC3-12800 Vengeance

Case

Corsair ATX Vengeance C70 Military Green

note: Case works perfect for me since I live in the countryside with very dry weather, and dust really piles up here.

PSU

Coolermaster 850w (80plus Silver) M2 Silent Pro

GPU

GTX 760 2GB (MSI)

HDD

WD 2TB Sata3 64mb Caviar Green

note: Will try to get an SSD for my OS too.

Future updates (a few months down the road):

RAM

Two more sticks of Corsair DDR3 2x4GB

GPU

SLI a second GTX 760 2GB by MSI

Cooling

Will probably introduce a watercooling solution (H100i maybe.. haven't decided yet)

Thank you :)

Add a hyper 212 evo into the mix

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

I would switch the motherboard to something like the MSI Z77 Mpower, however that is personal choice. If you're going to add more RAM in the future go with 2x8GB now and you will be able to add more if you so wish. As for the PSU it's a little overkill, even for SLI, 750W is more than you would need.

Add a good air cooler if you're not set on getting the H100i as your 3770K will essentially be a 3770 with the stock cooler. I recommend the Xigmatek Dark Night, Cooler Master Hyper 212+ or Noctua U14S if you want to pony up.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

Why not get a 7950 instead of 760? You can get a 7950 for cheaper then a 760, and it performs a good bit better.

Cpu: Intel core i5 4570 gpu: gtx 770 case: cm storm enforcer psu: xfx pro 550w motherboard: asus b85m-g ssd: samsung 120gb hdd: wd caviar blue 1tb ram: kingston hyperx blu 8gb 1600mhz mouse: razer deathadder monitor: some decent samsung 19" keyboard: CM Storm TK Blue

Thanks guys.

I know the power supply is a bit overkill... but I found a very good price for it, and actually it becomes less of an overkill once I add more hard drives to the equation.

7950 instead of a 760? I will have to look into that.. I'm very limited by suppliers here and the 7950 they carry are actually 1/3rd the price over the 760. I will definately look at 7950 benchmarks and find a better deal.

Also, thank you for the cooling suggestions! I haven't actually given much thought to it. Only leaning to liquid cooling because of noise reduction, but if I can find an air cooler that is as silent as it can get, I'll definately go towards that.

Regarding the motherboard, I'm looking at long lasting components, but will definatelly give the Z77 MPower a look since they have a similar standard for durability.

Thanks again guys

I know the power supply is a bit overkill... but I found a very good price for it, and actually it becomes less of an overkill once I add more hard drives to the equation.

7950 instead of a 760? I will have to look into that.. I'm very limited by suppliers here and the 7950 they carry are actually 1/3rd the price over the 760. I will definately look at 7950 benchmarks and find a better deal.

Also, thank you for the cooling suggestions! I haven't actually given much thought to it. Only leaning to liquid cooling because of noise reduction, but if I can find an air cooler that is as silent as it can get, I'll definately go towards that.

Regarding the motherboard, I'm looking at long lasting components, but will definatelly give the Z77 MPower a look since they have a similar standard for durability.

Why not Haswell? z87 mobos are better than z77 overall and quality is less of an issue. 

Liquid cooling is still in all functionality air cooling since it uses fans. Whether you want to liquid cool will depend on if you want to push some high oc's . In any case, I'd recommend replacing the stock fans on both the case and the radiator.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Why not Haswell? z87 mobos are better than z77 overall and quality is less of an issue. 

Liquid cooling is still in all functionality air cooling since it uses fans. Whether you want to liquid cool will depend on if you want to push some high oc's . In any case, I'd recommend replacing the stock fans on both the case and the radiator.

I'm basing my decision on benchmarks and reviews and I believe it was TechPowerUp (or Tom's Hardware, can't remember) that recomended the 1155 socket for gaming still to this day.

To get a z87 M/B i understand I should go for an 1150 CPU ... you have any recomendation on that? The i5 4670k would be the sweetspot on price for me... I can't really go i7 now, I don't find any use for multi threading on games, and I spent a year doing some Photoshop and 3D Modeling & rendering (enthusiastically) with a Phenom II x4 with little to no hiccups.

Thanks

I'm basing my decision on benchmarks and reviews and I believe it was TechPowerUp (or Tom's Hardware, can't remember) that recomended the 1155 socket for gaming still to this day.

To get a z87 M/B i understand I should go for an 1150 CPU ... you have any recomendation on that? The i5 4670k would be the sweetspot on price for me... I can't really go i7 now, I don't find any use for multi threading on games, and I spent a year doing some Photoshop and 3D Modeling & rendering (enthusiastically) with a Phenom II x4 with little to no hiccups.

The 4670k is the unlocked i5. 

guys, any Z87 M/B recommendations? i'm weighing all my options here :)

Depends where you're shopping/located.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The 4670k is the unlocked i5. 

Depends where you're shopping/located.

Currently living in Chile, South America. Pretty much sold on the Z87 Sabertooth (i just like those damn boards), and of course trying to go for the 4670k now (its not much more expensive than the 3570k and could save like 100 bucks by having it flown in by a friend)

The options of my local retailers are:

Asus Z87 Sabertooth 

Gigabyte Z87X-OC

Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H

MSI Z87-GD65

Asus Maximus VI Extreme (ruling it out because its damn expensive and i dont need all the bs it comes with)

Gigabyte GA-G1 Sniper M5

The options of my local retailers are:

Asus Z87 Sabertooth 

Gigabyte Z87X-OC

Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H

MSI Z87-GD65

Asus Maximus VI Extreme (ruling it out because its damn expensive and i dont need all the bs it comes with)

Gigabyte GA-G1 Sniper M5

Out of the list, get the cheapest.

Out of the list, get the cheapest.

Really?

I've been hearing a lot of that lately...

I was going to go for the Sabertooth because of the 5 year warranty and the better components (or so they claim).

Its the more expensive one on the list (taking out the ROG board), the cheapest is the MSI Z87-GD65; goes for 80 dollars cheaper than the Sabertooth. 

You mean it doesnt make any difference?

Thanks!

Really?

I've been hearing a lot of that lately...

I was going to go for the Sabertooth because of the 5 year warranty and the better components (or so they claim).

Its the more expensive one on the list (taking out the ROG board), the cheapest is the MSI Z87-GD65; goes for 80 dollars cheaper than the Sabertooth. 

You mean it doesnt make any difference?

It doesn't.

It doesn't.

Well that's a real eye opener

Thank you WM, I believe you just saved me like 100 bucks

Alright, thanks to a bunch of you guys I'm making some serious modifications to my plan... and surprisingly maintaining my budget while trying to make better choices.

Here's my new plan:

CPU

Intel Core i5-4670k (1150)

Z77 is sadly dead. 4670k is not really much more expensive and I feel the 1150 socket is the choice that best makes sense.

M/B

MSI Z87-GD65

RAM

G.Skill 8GB (2x4GB) 1600 mhz   or Mushkin 8GB Red Line

(if I can get my hands on a set)

HDD

WD 2TB 64mb Caviar Green

SDD (for OS... most likely W7 64bit)

Samsung 120gb 840 series

Case

Corsair C70 or Thermaltake Overseer RX-1 / RX-1 Snow

(haven't decided yet mainly due to the new color scheme, plus the Tt Overseer is cheaper here)

PSU

Coolermaster GX 750w (80plus)

(after tinkering with Wattage calculators, I discovered that I can throw in everything I can think of and it will probably never go over 650w.... 750 is where i feel most comfortable... but I will change this if I find a hybrid modular PSU)

GPU

GTX 760 2GB by MSI

Im sticking to my choice until I have time to look up some benchmarks and comparisons with the ATI 7950.

CPU

Intel Core i5-4670k (1150)

M/B

MSI Z87-GD65

RAM

G.Skill 8GB (2x4GB) 1600 mhz   or Mushkin 8GB Red Line

(if I can get my hands on a set)

HDD

WD 2TB 64mb Caviar Green

SDD (for OS... most likely W7 64bit)

Samsung 120gb 840 series

Case

Corsair C70 or Thermaltake Overseer RX-1 / RX-1 Snow

(haven't decided yet mainly due to the new color scheme, plus the Tt Overseer is cheaper here)

PSU

Coolermaster GX 750w (80plus)

(after tinkering with Wattage calculators, I discovered that I can throw in everything I can think of and it will probably never go over 650w.... 750 is where i feel most comfortable... but I will change this if I find a hybrid modular PSU)

GPU

GTX 760 2GB by MSI

Im sticking to my choice until I have time to look up some benchmarks and comparisons with the ATI 7950.

If you just want a red/black theme, you can bump down to a G45 Gaming

Get a seagate barracuda instead. Caviar greens don't perform that well.

I wouldn't get a CM psu if I didn't have to. Go for Antec, Corsair, Fractal Design, NZXT, Seasonic, Silverstone, or XFX instead.

7950 is better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmGWyAyO9mc

Check the description for graphs.

If you just want a red/black theme, you can bump down to a G45 Gaming

Get a seagate barracuda instead. Caviar greens don't perform that well.

I wouldn't get a CM psu if I didn't have to. Go for Antec, Corsair, Fractal Design, NZXT, Seasonic, Silverstone, or XFX instead.

7950 is better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmGWyAyO9mc

Check the description for graphs.

I was actually diggin the military look provided by the C70 and the Sabertooth, but for some reason they think gamers just want black & red  :(

Stay away from CM PSUs, got it  :lol:

Found this comparison on the 7950 vs 760: http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-7950-vs-GeForce-GTX-760

What I've generally understood from everywhere I've read is that its ALMOST the same, 7950 being most convenient because of price point.

Sadly, where I live the 7950 (Sapphire 3gb) is 50 USD more expensive than the 760 (MSI OC 2gb) ... even with the new 9xxxx card coming out.. go figure.

Is the new 9xxx still set for next month? 

I was actually diggin the military look provided by the C70 and the Sabertooth, but for some reason they think gamers just want black & red  :(

Stay away from CM PSUs, got it  :lol:

Found this comparison on the 7950 vs 760: http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-7950-vs-GeForce-GTX-760

What I've generally understood from everywhere I've read is that its ALMOST the same, 7950 being most convenient because of price point.

Sadly, where I live the 7950 (Sapphire 3gb) is 50 USD more expensive than the 760 (MSI OC 2gb) ... even with the new 9xxxx card coming out.. go figure.

Is the new 9xxx still set for next month? 

If you just want a black mobo or a grey/black, go for a z87 Extreme 4 or z87x D3H instead.

The 7950 also has more vram. 

Where are you located?

The 9970 should be released on the 25th.

South America. Chile (you know the Estadio Olimpico? ....Sorry, Something About Mary reference)

We get double the pricing for half of the fun! Yey!

I expect to see some serious price drops around the 26th! 

This country has a Free Trade agreement with the US so it shouldn't take long for the 9970 to hit the local markets

Looks like I'll be retaining the C70 case (i just can't leave it) and for the PSU what about the Seasonic M12II 750 w?

South America. Chile (you know the Estadio Olimpico? ....Sorry, Something About Mary reference)

We get double the pricing for half of the fun! Yey!

I expect to see some serious price drops around the 26th! 

This country has a Free Trade agreement with the US so it shouldn't take long for the 9970 to hit the local markets

So what's your budget and where are you shopping?

Looks like I'll be retaining the C70 case (i just can't leave it) and for the PSU what about the Seasonic M12II 750 w?

That psu works fine.

So what's your budget and where are you shopping?

That psu works fine.

My budget is ultimately variable but I'm saving up to 2,000 dollars for the complete rig (with peripherals and all).

I found I can spend US$ 1,780 for the same computer if I can have a friend bring me the CPU, RAM, SSD & GPU from the States. Such assessment based on NewEgg prices.

I've scouted 9 local stores, and will be buying components from 5 of them. I will share the links bellow although they're all in Spanish and with Chilean peso prices (current exchange rate is 1 USD = 504.88 CLP)

www.pcfactory.cl www.sym.cl www.ttchile.cl www.sistemax.cl www.wei.cl www.bip.cl www.toppc.cl www.magens.cl www.rigam.cl

To give you an idea, the 4670k CPU retails locally for US$ 336.69 or CLP$ 169,990 (cheapest price I could find) while NewEgg sells it for US$ 229.99.

That kind of money can buy me an i7 4770k in the States (retailing for US$ 339.99 in NewEgg) but it wont cut it here. That's what I meant for half the fun and double the price.. lol  :(

My budget is ultimately variable but I'm saving up to 2,000 dollars for the complete rig (with peripherals and all).

I found I can spend US$ 1,780 for the same computer if I can have a friend bring me the CPU, RAM, SSD & GPU from the States. Such assessment based on NewEgg prices.

I've scouted 9 local stores, and will be buying components from 5 of them. I will share the links bellow although they're all in Spanish and with Chilean peso prices (current exchange rate is 1 USD = 504.88 CLP)

www.pcfactory.cl www.sym.cl www.ttchile.cl www.sistemax.cl www.wei.cl www.bip.cl www.toppc.cl www.magens.cl www.rigam.cl

To give you an idea, the 4670k CPU retails locally for US$ 336.69 or CLP$ 169,990 (cheapest price I could find) while NewEgg sells it for US$ 229.99.

That kind of money can buy me an i7 4770k in the States (retailing for US$ 339.99 in NewEgg) but it wont cut it here. That's what I meant for half the fun and double the price.. lol  :(

So would it be better for you to shop from the States or at the local stores?

So would it be better for you to shop from the States or at the local stores?

It really depends on the components. The critical mass of the computer (Mobo, CPU, GPU) is a lot pricier here (round a 100 dollars extra for each), RAM is like 30 to 50 bucks extra too, so having it brought here by a friend means massive savings (from 400 to 600 dollars total in savings); having it imported (ie. paying shipping) is still more convenient, but i'm afraid of product handling by the courier.

The case is also like 100 dollars extra here, but shipping it from abroad will surely cover that difference in rates & taxes, so tdoesn't make a lot of sense to me to worry about it

If I can be convinced that shipping from the States will be handled with care; I will most likely purchase internationally, it will save me round 60 to 70 bucks per product (calculating a 20-30 dollars shipping rate & taxes). But for that I need to speak with some nationals that have imported stuff before