Skylake or Haswell?

acerwin

1400$ Build should i got Haswell or Skylake?
my GPU will be GTX 970

there was a skylake bending issues that's why i just can't go all out for skylake hahahaha i wanna hear more thoughts about skylake, yeah that's what i want on skylake the DDR4 Rams and for future proofing.

3 minutes ago, acerwin said:

there was a skylake bending issues that's why i just can't go all out for skylake hahahaha i wanna hear more thoughts about skylake, yeah that's what i want on skylake the DDR4 Rams and for future proofing.

iirc the bending is only likely to occur if you actively try to, or mount the cooler too tightly

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

12 minutes ago, acerwin said:

It was on a tiny amount of crappy coolers that weren't even very mainstream, and the the other crap was someone trying to use a powered drill to tighten his screws.

If you don't want bending issues, don't be a retard and you won't have any issues.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

How about the "prime" skylake bug? Is it already solved by all manufacturers in all of their motherboard line up?

27 minutes ago, darkwizard06 said:

How about the "prime" skylake bug? Is it already solved by all manufacturers in all of their motherboard line up?

Yes. At least Asus already pushed newer Bios versions, with Microcode Update.

But even before that, i never had a Bug, since i'm not playing Prime (i used Prime a few times, but it never shut down because of that)

so its 99% irrelevant, and for the remaining 1%, theres the newest Bios.

Btw, i vote for Skylake too. Can be 15-20% faster even in Games (see Tests from GlobalFoundry), consumes less power, stays cooler, DDR4, M.2 in full speed, USB Type C.

even with 50€ difference, i would still pay that more for the newer Platform.

I would prefer skylake because of the newer architecture and DDR4.

30 minutes ago, darkwizard06 said:

Do you use an LLR based program? No? Then you shouldn't need to worry about it.

But to answer your question, the majority of mobos already has a BIOS fix for it.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

On 2/24/2016 at 6:41 PM, TheRandomness said:

Why the 970? And I vote skylake. Please don't get an explosive PSU. 

600w psu is enough right? btw i might also get h100i gtx 

Skylake performances quite a bit better in specific circumstances and there is no serious problem to want to avoid it. The bug was very specific and the bending issue really isn't.

1 hour ago, acerwin said:

600w psu is enough right? btw i might also get h100i gtx 

EVGA G2/GS/GQ 550-650W, anything from XFX or Seasonic, Antec High Current Gamer and anything from Super Flower. 550W is fine and why the 970 when the R9 390 costs less, has double the VRAM and essentially the same performance?

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

On 2/24/2016 at 4:07 AM, acerwin said:

1400$ Build should i got Haswell or Skylake?
my GPU will be GTX 970

Skylake at that price range hands down. The difference between the two builds is only about $100 as long as you select similar motherboards and go with budget chips. Haswell in my humble opinion only kind of fits in the sub $700 builds. You can piece together a nice color scheme  and gaming oriented Skylake build starting around $800. You can piece one together cheaper but you'll be cutting corners. You have a nice budget so you should be able to piece together something really nice. Keep the motherboard budget ~$150 so you can squeeze in a GTX 980 or 980Ti, and maybe cut some corners by going with a smaller SSD and stuff so you can maybe get a 980Ti without going much over budget.

thanks everyone! you can still suggest tho :) 

At that price point? Skylake.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

i've heard ASRock has a mobo that can overclock non-K skylake intel cpu's

3 minutes ago, acerwin said:

i've heard ASRock has a mobo that can overclock non-K skylake intel cpu's

Not only Asrock, but pretty much every mobo manufacturer (until Intel forced them to push Bios updates and locked them all). Also, if you do try OCing non K cpus via Bclk, you lose AVX, the iGPU and the thermal sensor, which you may / may not care about.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!