10x Your Network Speed on a Budget

On 11/28/2016 at 11:50 AM, BlackRaven said:

@Gatekeeper01 Can you tell me where you got the Windows 7 Drivers for the Emulex cards? I bought those cards thinking this would be easy, boy was I wrong.  Any help is appreciated. :-)

Gatekeeper01

I think the one that finally worked was from Drivermax the will want to install the utility but I don't think it was necessary as the driver was available from their website. Good luck with this. I had to downgrade to windows 7 to get it going and even then transfer speeds were 400mbs one way and 700mbs the other. I think it had something to do with CPU packet prioritization but I'm not sure. I've put the project aside for now and we have since made other storage solutions that don't require 10gb a second. (basically, we just have external HDD docking bays and use those to transfer and mirror files between computers. It's not ideal but we only have two editors and it's working so far. #LikeTheOldLInusDays. ;) at least I don't store my backups in the bathroom like Linus did. #OneStepUpRight? Hope you get yours up and running! 

If God exists, you'll want to know Him

If God is Christ, He died so that you could. (Romans 5:6-11)

• 1 month later...
On 2/26/2016 at 4:44 PM, Sunshine1868 said:

You just don't do it. It does not increase your internet speed; it simply increases the speed between two machines. For most people, this means completely isolating the two machines.

It's a stupid video that has lead to more confusion than entertainment for many. 

This is so untrue. If people can't tell by watching this video that this is about internal networking, then that's the kind of (stupid) people not worth your effort to help clarify.

I, on the other hand, have this exact use case where my PC hosts media files in TBs and my wife's PC constantly needs to read/write from it. The solution Linus mentioned in this video is perfect for us. We can get this additional 10 Gbps cards and connect two computers together for file sharing between these two computers, while each computer still maintaining its own internet connection through the onboard port.

And yes, I realize that my hard drive read/write speed is not even close to 1.25 GB/s, but that's a SEPARATE problem I can solve by RAID-0 my SSDs etc.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Is there any way to something like this with a freenas file server?

• 2 months later...
On 2/25/2016 at 10:49 AM, Sunshine1868 said:

@nicklmg the video thumbnail says "ITS CHEAP AND ACTUALLY WORKS!"

it isn't always a cheap solution and it doesn't always work for people. it's not a plug and play technology.

I guess LTT is really going for entertainment now and throwing facts out the window piece by piece

Just because it isn't cheap and/or doesn't work for someone else doesn't mean it isn't cheap and/or doesn't work in general.

Yes, it is cheap, and yes, it does work, however you have to have the right setup for it, and be willing to look enough to find the cheap functional NICs.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W