10x Your Network Speed on a Budget

Just now, KuJoe said:

Are these scheduled posts or is @nicklmg being pulled away from HoTS to post this at this hour?

Lol.

Funny story about tonight, I actually fell asleep at like 10 and luckily woke up around 12 in order to post. Herpadeederp.

at 8:49, he points at the corner of the screen and nothing shows up.

4 minutes ago, Thineswar said:

at 8:49, he points at the corner of the screen and nothing shows up.

You got there before the cards were added :P

Updated now.

1 minute ago, nicklmg said:

You got there before the cards were added :P

Updated now.

You should mess with Linus (and the viewers) and put a link to the same video there when he doesn't specify anything. Or maybe I just think that's funny because it's 4AM here.

-KuJoe

Just now, KuJoe said:

You should mess with Linus (and the viewers) and put a link to the same video there when he doesn't specify anything. Or maybe I just think that's funny because it's 4AM here.

That would be pretty funny. I tend to just Rickroll people, but I guess I'm not in a super trollzy mood right now :P

Just now, nicklmg said:

That would be pretty funny. I tend to just Rickroll people, but I guess I'm not in a super trollzy mood right now :P

It's that power nap that put you in a good mood.

-KuJoe

Yeah my net is 75mbps

But....... So sorry if this breaks your style. This happened some time back in my Grandmum's house with a 512kbps that was tripping balls (the 20GB data cap for the 4mbps ended quite fast as 5 devices were using it at once brutally). I was downloading a few game patches when this came out of nowhere in real time as well.....

*I could say Gaben blessed me but then I'll feel stupid.

*Enuf Internet Speed to run Crysis 3 INSIDE Google Chrome

*Grandmum's Wifi is too Stronk

Internet Glitch.PNG

1 minute ago, Slimyhead said:

-snip-

This video has nothing to do with internet speed, it's about improving speeds between two devices in the same location.

-KuJoe

5 minutes ago, SeanTech said:

Bought 2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350983607686

and

http://www.fs.com/2m-6-6ft-passive-copper-awg30-10gbase-sfp-direct-attach-cable-p-21278.html

Direct connection with VMware ESXI and Windows Server 2012 R2 via NFS datastores will report back if this works cables get here in a week! 

Is that just a regular Twinax cable?

-KuJoe

2 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Is that just a regular Twinax cable?

Yes I believe it is 

16 minutes ago, SeanTech said:

Yes I believe it is 

Nice! I can't believe how many 10Gb NICs I've thrown out over the past few months, if I knew Twinax was that cheap I would have kept at least a dozen of them. :)

-KuJoe

Just now, KuJoe said:

Nice! I can't believe how many 10Gb NICs I've thrown out over the past few months, if I knew Twinax was that cheap I would have kept at least a dozen of them. :)

Yeah I got the cable from http://thatservernerd.com/2016/02/23/10gb-in-your-homelab-for-under-70/ 

Then I was talking to FiberStore support and I showed them my NICS and they told me to get that cable so we will see how it goes!

I'm wondering, I have a TL-SG3210 switch with 2 SFP slots, however, my NAS is a 1513+ with no SFP slot... if I do a direct connection to my pc with a NIC card with SFP slot... will my network transfer speed in the NAS increase too....?

PS: Ultra Noob here... so apologies if I made any weird opinions for my setup

44 minutes ago, LexenZ said:

I'm wondering, I have a TL-SG3210 switch with 2 SFP slots, however, my NAS is a 1513+ with no SFP slot... if I do a direct connection to my pc with a NIC card with SFP slot... will my network transfer speed in the NAS increase too....?

PS: Ultra Noob here... so apologies if I made any weird opinions for my setup

Hey, your NAS / disk can't writeor read more than ~100 MB/s anyway.

Just an interesting point on this, Linus plugs the 2 computers into each other directly, and automatically gets 10gbps connection, however doing this with standard ethernet I have found that the connection is less than the rated speed. I was transferring files off an old computer today, using another laptop, the max connection speed speed was only 100mbps, but both had a 1gbps connector. However, my desktop when connected to either using ethernet got a 1gbps on both...

Either way, the hardest part is saturating the connection with older and limited hardware, but still faster than a usb 3.0 HDD on a 2.0 hub :)

Just a quick note about DAC cables. I used to be in tech support for Emulex (26 years) prior to being acquired by Avago Technologies (now Broadcom Limited) and getting laid off in the conversion from a company to a business unit. If you get Emulex cards and want to use DAC cables I recommend to get active DAC cables when going beyond 5 meters although they will be more expensive. Passive cables beyond 5 meters should work but you get better performance and fewer issues with active cables. Note this is for the Emulex adapters from 2015 and earlier. I have no idea about any new models.

Check this link for an in depth description of active versus passive DAC cables.

Also make sure the card is in an 8x or 16x PCIe slot with at least 8 lanes with PCIe 3.0 preferred.

Hey Guys,

i do this at home with a set that i get from ebay for 300€ to (2x Intel x520-DA1 & 2x SFP+ Intel Modules & SFP+ 2m Cabling).

I've testet it with the Fiber Modules under xubuntu with iperf. Results:

IMG_0059-cut.jpg

5 hours ago, Joshuarulez said:

Just an interesting point on this, Linus plugs the 2 computers into each other directly, and automatically gets 10gbps connection, however doing this with standard ethernet I have found that the connection is less than the rated speed. I was transferring files off an old computer today, using another laptop, the max connection speed speed was only 100mbps, but both had a 1gbps connector. However, my desktop when connected to either using ethernet got a 1gbps on both...

Either way, the hardest part is saturating the connection with older and limited hardware, but still faster than a usb 3.0 HDD on a 2.0 hub :)

Are you sure both connections are 1gig Also are you sure that your Ethernet cable does 1gig I have had some old janky cables that would only connect at 100meg also it might be worth it to look in to a cross over cable.