Is Wikibuy safe?

I noticed the wikibuy extension a few times, and it seems like an awesome tool, but is it safe/legit?  I can't find info anywhere on it.  

Hi GordosTacoShop,

Thanks so much for asking - I'd be happy to help explain. 

Wikibuy helps you get the best price on products you want to buy. After getting Wikibuy, simply click ‘add to cart’ at your favorite stores and Wikibuy will start working automatically. Wikibuy checks other stores to see where else your item is sold and displays possible matches with accurate total prices, including tax, shipping, and any coupons that apply. In a nutshell, Wikibuy uses really fancy technology to: a) find deals that already exist and b) calculate the true prices of those items. There's no "too-good-to-be-true" magic happening. Rather, we're doing all the searching and calculating that would usually take someone hours to do manually. 

Here's a real-world example:

Let's say, you're on a site like Amazon or Target and you're shopping for a new television. Once you pick out the tv you want and click "add to cart", Wikibuy would automatically tell you how much you could save by buying it on another site (like Costco or Abt Electronics, with a coupon code, for example). We'd tell you exactly how much you would save, because we'd also calculate your final totals as if you were to buy it on either site. Pretty cool, right?

Also, the reason why you can't really find much about us is because we're brand new! So new, in fact, that up until last week, the only way you could join was via a highly-targeted Facebook post (which you probably saw) or by joining a waitlist. We're a small team in Austin, TX and we think we're building something that has the potential to really help people save. Give Wikibuy a try and let us know what you think!

Did you have any specific questions? If so, I'd be happy to answer those too!

Cheers,
-Cleat at Wikibuy

Gave it a shot.  I love the concept, and that you do a coupon search as well.  It does take a while, but I like what it offers. How do you guys make money from this though?  Do you get a small amount from the recommended sellers?  Or are you information brokers? Not trying to instigate anything, just curious.  PM me if you'd rather not share in an open forum.

Edited by GordosTacoShop

Hey GordosTacoShop,

I'm really glad you're liking it so far! I know it takes a while now (usually between 2-3 minutes), but our team is working on a few really cool improvements that should get you results in well under one minute. Increasing speed and coverage are two of our main goals for 2016. 

Also, you guessed correct the first time in regards to how Wikibuy makes money. Wikibuy makes a small amount each time we send a customer to one of our "recommended sellers". It's actually a win-win. Sellers get more business for offering the lowest price and our customers save time and money by using Wikibuy to find them. 

-Cleat at Wikibuy