Samsung 840 Pro VS 840 EVO

AGGELOS_970
Hello everyone!

I am planning on buying an SSD and I can't decide which one.

I will mostly use it for my OS, programs and 1 specific game (Arma 3).

I am not planning using it on things like photoshop.

Will I see a major difference between the 120Gb EVO and the 128Gb Pro ?

Is the Pro worth the extra 25E / 33$ for my type of usage ?

Thanks in advance!  :D

Slight difference really. I use 840 pros all the time and love them. Have yet to get my hands on an evo but I'm sure they just as good and would say go for whichever you want.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

+1 for EVO. It's kind of like choosing between a 780 and titan for gaming. You're going to see slightly better results if you pay the ridiculously high premium, but is it really worth it for a lot of people?

(note, the difference in performance for these 2 SSDs is nowhere near the % change from a 780-titan difference. I was just using it as an example.)

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

What about MLC vs TLC in terms of lifespan ?

Unless you have plans to write 50+GB of data a day for a few years, I don't think you really need to worry about an SSD's lifespan. Even so, people have torture tested the hell out of TLC on the EVO, it's still fine.

http://us.hardware.info/reviews/4178/10/hardwareinfo-tests-lifespan-of-samsung-ssd-840-250gb-tlc-ssd-updated-with-final-conclusion-final-update-20-6-2013

"Two and a half months ago we started the endurance test of two Samsung 840 SSDs to find out whether an SSD with TLC memory chips has a shorter lifespan, and after that period of time did one of them fail. The second one still works, but it's running on fumes. The is no doubt about it, there is nothing wrong with SSDs with TLC memory chips."

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

If you need a lot of storage go with the evo, if you are going to be doing a lot of writes go with the pros, if you arent going to be doing a lot of writes and dont need much storage go with the standard 840 series

EricMarsi

What about MLC vs TLC in terms of lifespan ?

They'll both probably last longer than the rest of your system.

You won't be able to tell the difference between the normal 840, the Evo, and the Pro in normal day to day usage.

I'd recommend just getting the normal 840 and saving your money--or whatever higher tiered modern ssd is cheapest at the time like the ssdnow v300, adata premiere pro, hyperX 3K, etc.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If u want straight up performance pro if your usimg it as your os drive and dont mind synthetic performance get the evo