GPU,PSU,Electricity Bill

XyzWoot

Hey guys! I have an Powercolor R9 270 TurboDuo 2gb 256 Bit GPU ang it requires a minimum of 500w power supply.  My PSU is a Thermaltake Litepower 600w. I was wandering if does this increase my electricity bill? because our bill is quite high. PC is usually used from 7:00 AM - 11:00 PM.

3 minutes ago, XyzWoot said:

Hey guys! I have an Powercolor R9 270 TurboDuo 2gb 256 Bit GPU ang it requires a minimum of 500w power supply.  My PSU is a Thermaltake Litepower 600w. I was wandering if does this increase my electricity bill? because our bill is quite high. PC is usually used from 7:00 AM - 11:00 PM.

I don't quite understand your question.  Did you change something and wondering if the change will significantly increase you electricity bill?  Using a computer, which uses electricity, will always effect your electricity bill, but if you are wondering about an increase, you need a comparative state.

|[ i7 6700k ][ MSI z170a XPower Gaming Titanium MB ][ 16gig G.Skill Trident Z 3000mhz ][ Gigabyte Xtreme GTX 980ti ][ Samsung Evo & Intel SSDs ][ Corsair 540 air ][ XFX Pro 750w Platinum ][ 24" Asus 144hz ]|

3 minutes ago, Low_Battery said:

I don't quite understand your question.  Did you change something and wondering if the change will significantly increase you electricity bill?  Using a computer, which uses electricity, will always effect your electricity bill, but if you are wondering about an increase, you need a comparative state.

He means between a 500w and his 600w power supply. The answer is no, the power supply takes only the power it needs, not the full 600 watts. What does matter is efficiency. You should be fine as is.

Your system will likely draw around 200-250w under load and so your PSU should be running around peak efficiency. Chances are it'll only cost a few cents an hour. ~$.03-5

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

2 cents a kilowatt hour here. :)

Xeon e5-2670, Intel DX79sr, 16gb g.skill Ares, evga sc 780ti, antec 750 80 plus gold, Phantek Entho pro case

I can't find where the power draw thread I somewhere.

I forgot how to compute how much kilowatt/hour a PC will use.

Anyway, here's my input: 

If you're gonna use your PC, your electricity bill will increase. If you can't handle the increase in your bills, you have to limit your time on the PC.

CPU: Intel i5-4590 | Motherboard: Asus H97M-E | GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 | RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Sandisk Plus 240Gb HDD: Seagate 250Gb  | PSU: Seasonic G650 80+ Gold | Case: NZXT S340

I am who I am.

You need 2 things: A Watt meter, you can get something cheap like a Kill-a-Watt on Amazon, and you need to know your electricity cost in your area, usually in $ per KWh.

You can measure how many Watts your computer uses with the Watt meter. If your computer uses 200W, that means 200 Wh per hour, or 0.2 KWh per hour. Then multiply by the number of hours you use it per day, (lets say 12 hours). If your electricity is billed at $0.10 per KWh, and your computer uses 0.2 KWh per hour for 12 hours a day, then that's 2.4 KWh per day, or $0.24 per day.

Your power supply rating is the maximum power it can deliver, it does not tell you how much your computer actually uses. You will need a Watt meter to figure that out.

i have a lan setup in my basement with 7 systems containing a total of 13 monitors and 16 videocards. I consume roughly 14000KWh per month. My electricity bill costs more then my car payment.

3 minutes ago, jackm1120 said:

i have a lan setup in my basement with 7 systems containing a total of 13 monitors and 16 videocards. I consume roughly 14000KWh per month. My electricity bill costs more then my car payment.

Holy sh..

CPU: Intel i5-4590 | Motherboard: Asus H97M-E | GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 | RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Sandisk Plus 240Gb HDD: Seagate 250Gb  | PSU: Seasonic G650 80+ Gold | Case: NZXT S340

I am who I am.

1 hour ago, XyzWoot said:

PSUs have an efficiency curve.  There generally most efficient around the 45% load.  If u want to consume less electricity get a psu that is 80 gold or better and has peak efficiency around 450w to 500w load.  Youll most likely end up spending more money on the PSU then u will ever save on the electricity bill