Make People upload profile picture before posting topic

FatPenguin
2 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

I would think that quality of said documentation is more important than quantity.

Yes, I agree with that, but users here tend to also ask for more information if there's anything that's lacking. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

3 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

You say that last part as though it is a bad thing.

It is a bad thing. A significant reason why this forum, and many others, exists is to answer people's questions. Whether the people asking the questions want to be part of the community, and whether they have ever watched an ltt video, is irrelevant. 

If people like what they see after asking for help, they might become active members of the community, but forcing people to upload a profile picture before they can post anything will probably put them off the site entirely, so they won't get a chance to decide to become part of the community. 

It's not like having people with one post harm the site (or anything else) at all. 

HTTP/2 203

Yeah and force people to choose out of 10 haircuts or they will be put in jail.

Maybe it doesn't have to be the first post. Maybe after 5 or 10 posts, an avatar will be required.

-アパゾ

its a fine line between having enough friction to discourage spammers (like filling in the dang captchas) and to scare away new users (like requiring a fully filled out profile before posting anything would)

i'd agree to the idea of having a set of pre-defined pictures the user has to choose out of tho, and honestly, make the library as big as you can, i bet within a few months you'll be able to relate amount of effort put into the first post on the profile picture they chose. (just fishing for a quick answer with a ctr-c ctrl-v question, then disappearing => first image, for example)

and hey, we had this thread for the silly messages in ltt video intos, could have a thread for silly LTT-related profile pictures.

I would maybe suggest just adding a little reminder when the user joins saying "Welcome, new user! Although it is not required, adding a profile picture to your account will help make your account unique, and it only takes a second. Would you like to do this now?"

And link the last sentence to their profile picture changy thingy

This way it is not required, per se, but they simply get a friendly reminder to do so.

This has been a fun read so far.  I like the people who don't like the "forced to upload" idea on the grounds that they'd be conforming to what everyone else wants, since to me it seems like that's totally backwards; uploading a profile pic is a great way to differentiate yourself.  If you just stick with the default, that's what makes you blend in with hundreds or others! :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.