A Finnish city is using Cities: Skylines to help develop a new urban area

elfensky

*roughly translated and rewritten from a google translate translation of the Finnish website*

The Finnish city of Hämeenlinna is holding a Cities Skylines contest during Spring of 2016. The players have to download a custom map of the surroundings, build and maintain a city on it. The city is looking for new solutions in the Kantola and Katuman areas, and provides existing plans for the players to base themselves on.

*Quote of the Reddit post*

The objective is to develop an area near the city centre, with challenges like improving connections to the center from the design area and improving land use between a railroad and a highway. The main prize is 2x2 tickets to an Iron Maiden concert (actually held at the area to be developed!). 

pelinkulku%20%5b1%5d.png

I think this is a really cool idea, I remember (vaguely) some random guy getting mayorship of a town because he put "good at C:S" on his resume. It's great to see games used for more than just entertainment. +1 to Finland for being progressive af.

I also think the prizes are funny: from Iron Maiden, to a 1 hour sport simulation and finnishing (see what I did there) with a relaxing Spa treatment. Quite a contrasty bunch.

Original Finnish Source

Google Translate of the Website

Reddit post

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

that's cool

They should do that in more places

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

1 minute ago, ElfenSky said:

I think this is a really cool idea, I remember (vaguely) some random guy getting mayorship of a town because he put "good at C:S" on his resume. It's great to see games used for more than just entertainment. +1 to Finland for being progressive af.

Source

What's your source?

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

4 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

What's your source?

Fixed, forgot to make it a link.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

Unless its been fixed as of late this is a horrible idea as much as I love cities skylines its traffic simulation is garbage. 

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Sounds like the Fins are trying to copy the Swedes, but instead of Minecraft they uses Cities Skylines ;) 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Sounds like the Fins are trying to copy the Swedes, but instead of Minecraft they uses Cities Skylines ;) 

Wasn't that Denmark? Or am I confusing something.

3 minutes ago, ElfenSky said:

Wasn't that Denmark? Or am I confusing something.

maybe it was, but it was some school making a city or whatever in Minecraft

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

maybe it was, but it was some school making a city or whatever in Minecraft

I was talking about Denmark recreating their whole country in MC.

So the economic situation has fallen this low to justify letting volunteers to develop the area for a low price over actually doing it professionally...

I guess it could give a vague idea about what should they do, but if they take it too much word-to-word, I can't see it being a good solution.

The Google translation seems fine. Better than usual. Read the original through and it appears correct (the original article's length though is a joke; not much in-depth information).

46 minutes ago, ElfenSky said:

I also think the prizes are funny: from Iron Maiden, to a 1 hour sport simulation and finnishing (see what I did there) with a relaxing Spa treatment. Quite a contrasty bunch.

The prices seem silly because that's all they can afford to give as prizes... xD

Really though, the economy of this country is sliding down slowly but surely. I'm not surprised if it eventually falls on the level of the rest of Eastern European countries.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

This is really cool. Ofc this won't be their final plans, something you make in C:S doesn't work quite the same in real life, but they may get some nice ideas on how to lay out the city. 

At least it is progressive!

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Let's hope that Cities Skylines is a really good and completely realistic simulator...

1 minute ago, ElfFriend said:

Let's hope that Cities Skylines is a really good and completely realistic simulator...

It won't be for that. Why do you think the rewards are just a bit silly.

It will just be both for publicity and for them to get some creative ideas on how to do a lay out. 

Some pro's will do the actual simulation and design, but probably using design elements from the winning entry

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

1 hour ago, Nexxus said:

Unless its been fixed as of late this is a horrible idea as much as I love cities skylines its traffic simulation is garbage. 

Its not all bad though.

The AI likes to take the shortest and not the fastest route meaning it doesnt use multiple lanes as much as it should which cause all the backups and traffic problems.

If they can get a layout that can work great with CS AI then that really is one of the possible worst case scenarios. Its not that bad of an idea at least for a starting point. 

1 minute ago, Sidiox said:

It won't be for that. Why do you think the rewards are just a bit silly.

It will just be both for publicity and for them to get some creative ideas on how to do a lay out. 

Some pro's will do the actual simulation and design, but probably using design elements from the winning entry

Good point. I assumed they were stupid enough to use it for only simulation purposes.

Off topic: Why did the good point button get renamed to thumbs up?

Well this is interesting, weird how this is the first place I hear of any of this.

One of the requirements for the submission is for it to be "original", if this turns out like Rovaniemi..... Oh boy, it's going to be nasty to navigate with a car.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.