Alternate ways of getting Windows Server 2012 R2 on a server?

Nowak

I've mentioned before that I've inherited a server from my dad's office. It seems to be running Windows Server 2008, but the registry is apparently missing and it won't boot.

I've been trying to get Windows Server 2012 R2 on the machine, but all my DVDs are used and the flash drive I use for installing Windows got corrupted when I was trying to write the ISO to the drive. Is there another way I can try to load Windows Server 2012 R2 on the server?

You can redownload the ISO and mount it on the USB if it still works. That is the easiest way or buy a new USB if you need it.

Just now, Daring said:

I've mentioned before that I've inherited a server from my dad's office. It seems to be running Windows Server 2008, but the registry is apparently missing and it won't boot.

I've been trying to get Windows Server 2012 R2 on the machine, but all my DVDs are used and the flash drive I use for installing Windows got corrupted when I was trying to write the ISO to the drive. Is there another way I can try to load Windows Server 2012 R2 on the server?

You should be able to reformat the flash drive, you might have to use the disk partition manager within Windows.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

Just now, KirbyTech said:

You can redownload the ISO and mount it on the USB if it still works. That is the easiest way or buy a new USB if you need it.

I tried to repair the flash drive with gparted on a Linux machine. Didn't work, and it seems to be even more borked now.

Just now, NinjaJc01 said:

You should be able to reformat the flash drive, you might have to use the disk partition manager within Windows.

I tried that. It wouldn't let me.

I think I might just have to get a new flash drive. Either that, or new DVDs.

Just now, Daring said:

I tried to repair the flash drive with gparted on a Linux machine. Didn't work, and it seems to be even more borked now.

I tried that. It wouldn't let me.

I think I might just have to get a new flash drive. Either that, or new DVDs.

Go with the new USB you can reuse it for other things afterwards.

Just now, KirbyTech said:

Go with the new USB you can reuse it for other things afterwards.

Yeah. The flash drive was rather old anyway, I got it in 2008 for high school and up until it got corrupted I used it for installing Windows via USB.

Just now, Daring said:

Yeah. The flash drive was rather old anyway, I got it in 2008 for high school and up until it got corrupted I used it for installing Windows via USB.

I have 2 USBs that I keep around for OS installs, then again I have like 30-40 drives in total in a drawer. Yeah finding one I need is never easy.

Boot over the LAN?

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

you can download windows server 2012 on the microsoft website i think.

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

1 minute ago, Djole123 said:

Boot over the LAN?

Don't think I have any way of doing that.

Just now, glitchmaster0001 said:

you can download windows server 2012 on the microsoft website i think.

I got it and a key through Dreamspark.

yank one of your DVDs from your other PC and connect to this and install server 2012 r2 from DVD.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, Daring said:

Don't think I have any way of doing that.

I got it and a key through Dreamspark.

yeah in dreamspark you can get the database edition of windows server 2012 lol 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

Just now, NumLock21 said:

yank one of your DVDs from your other PC and connect to this and install server 2012 r2 from DVD.

You see, NumLock, that won't work because I have no more blank DVDs. Anywhere.

1 minute ago, Daring said:

go to your local frys and buy like a stack of DVDs for like $10

Just now, glitchmaster0001 said:

go to your local frys and buy like a stack of DVDs for like $10

No Fry's in Massachusetts.

2 minutes ago, Daring said:

Uhh, just buy a few. They're cheap.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, Daring said:

No Fry's in Massachusetts.

best buy or any other electronics store? hell ive even seen DVDs at my local CVS Pharmacy and Walgreens, maybe even walmart too lol

Just now, NumLock21 said:

Uhh, just buy a few. They're cheap.

I have no money right now anyway.

Much more worthwhile just getting an 8GB flash drive for like $5, than buying DVD-R's and hoping that your burner, and the optical drive still work lol. So many times i've been caught out by that.

Then just use DISKPART to partition and make it bootable then extract/mount the ISO and xcopy the whole thing to the USB. :)

Plenty of guides for this like this: http://blogs.technet.com/b/ieitpro/archive/2009/05/21/bootable-usb-drive-recipe.aspx

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Options on installing new OS are as follows: 

1. Use a USB drive with ISO loaded onto it.

2. Use a DVD disk and load the ISO to it. 

3. Setup a deployment server and boot to lan to load the OS. 

4. fix the OS issues and mount the ISO from windows to install. 

5. Clone a working drive from another system(yes it has to be similar)

6. pull the boot disk and put it into another system that is working. Go threw the server 2012 setup for only that disk(similar to #4) but don't screw up that system

the list is from easy to more trouble than it is worth. Most of the time if you can't do 1 or 2 you probably shouldn't be doing it.