Baking a GPU in an Everyday-Oven

Darkr

I just bought a 390 because my 290x died, and I would like to bake it to get some life out of it.

Would I be able to bake it safely in an everyday oven without getting lead poisoning after baking cookies or smth?

Also, if there's anything else that I need to know before I bake it, please tell me it.

Thanks!

1 minute ago, Darkr said:

I just bought a 390 because my 290x died, and I would like to bake it to get some life out of it.

Would I be able to bake it safely in an everyday oven without getting lead poisoning after baking cookies or smth?

Also, if there's anything else that I need to know before I bake it, please tell me it.

Thanks!

did you watch linus' video on vessel? (this was todays upload)
do not cook/bake food in the over you baked your gpu in.

if you dont have vessel, wait a week and linus will show you exactly how to do this :)

1 minute ago, mikat said:

Wouldn't I be able to clean it out after?

if you dont have vessel, wait a week and linus will show you exactly how to do this :)

May I ask for link of that video? I can't seem to find it on youtube chanel from LinusTechTips.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

if you dont have vessel, wait a week and linus will show you exactly how to do this 

it's on vessel, youtube is one week later :)

thanks a lot for your info :) 

first time I saw that vessel thingy :) 

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

You'll be fine. I baked the solder off of my 290's cooler (so a shit ton of solder melted) and I still used the oven. Realistically, any fumes that come off (if at all) are miniscule and in a large oven it doesn't even have a chance to stick to anything. It's completely different from something like powder coating, which releases tons of fumes and is a lot more toxic.

5 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Let me explain since I know why this sorta works.  This is called reflowing, but the proper way to do this is with a heat gun and liquid flux, not an oven.  An oven is just a ghetto method of a reflow.  A reflow is not a perm fix, but a longer fix is actually reballing the solder joints on the PCB.  However, these are only temp fixes if they work.  If you want a more "perm fix" you'd have to send it to whoever made it to do PCB+circuitry work on the GPU itself as they have all the tools they used to make it.  Anyone else is taking a shot in the dark at it over the OEM.

Well my card is off warranty, so I have nothing to lose.

You don't have to worry about inhaling lead when soldering or "baking," because the vaporizing temperature of lead is 1750C (~3000F). What you see vaporizing or steaming off the iron is actually the flux, which is used to flow solder along the joint. Typical lead exposure in electronics is due to consumption. The key is not to handle exposed PCB and then put your fingers in your mouth. Wash them after exposure and you're fine. 

Breathing in flux is definitely toxic, as is the burning plastic and lacquer coating on the PCB and components. If it's bad for your lungs, do you want to eat it? That's up to you. I'm with valdyrgramr. Heat gun.

If I were you, I wouldn't use your main oven for that.

I don't have any proof that it's harmfull in any way, but I just wouldn't risk my health for GPU.

Like members before me said, use heat gun if you can :)

WD My Cloud 4TB

If you choose to bake it, you might want to detach any plastic shrouds and fans.  Ideally you only want the the PCB and GPU to be in the oven.  You could alternately use a heat gun to re flow solder that way.

I probably wouldn't do it in the same oven you use to cook food.

2 hours ago, simtransporter said:

If you choose to bake it, you might want to detach any plastic shrouds and fans.  Ideally you only want the the PCB and GPU to be in the oven.  You could alternately use a heat gun to re flow solder that way.

I probably wouldn't do it in the same oven you use to cook food.

You have a dedicated oven for DIY projects too? 

Cool man! 

I've used ovens and toaster ovens to bring old cards back to life for years (or make them worse). I have a separate "bake pan" and everything. Just make sure you have good ventilation. As far as toxicity is concerned, there are plenty of other toxic fumes around as well such as spilling jet fuel all over yourself... Just allow time to ventilate the space. Kinda like doing fuel cell maintenance on aircraft; good times if you have never done it. I'm kidding of course. In all seriousness though, the actual lead content is rather low and if you bake it just enough to reflow the solder nothing will come off the board, and it won't get hot enough to vent anything that can't be dealt with by airing the space out. On the note of should you, I have not always had good luck with it. I have definitely burnt up a few cards in the oven, but since they were dead anyway, who cares... If it's out of warranty you really have nothing to lose. Best of luck!

Never tell me the odds.” Followed by:  “I’ve got a bad feeling about this.” Which leads to:  “It’s a trap!”