HOLY $H!T - Long Distance Wi-fi

We use the baby versions (PowerBeam M5) of these at work for point to point links. they work really well. Though we do have a decent hill to shoot down from. Can't complain for the under $200 NZD pricepoint.

The built in spectrum analyser is also really handy for congested areas

Someone fucked up on the outro 

5 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Wake me when they start talking about the security measures applied for this.

They use standard Wifi security WPA2 as a minimum

I can't wait to use this with my 1mbps internet.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

20 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Yeah... fixing audio, no clue what happened there...

also, can we get a "thank fuck the ltt team is making stuff work again" button?

there isnt one that works for that...

1 minute ago, chromed343 said:

But it's not WiFi?

Yes it is you can actually connect to them using your devices WiFi assuming it supports that standard, in this case 802.11ac. your range is just a bit shorter as you don't have the gain of the second dish

Just now, -Old-Tom- said:

Yes it is you can actually connect to them using your devices WiFi assuming it supports that standard, in this case 802.11ac. your range is just a bit shorter as you don't have the gain of the second dish

These are a 5Ghz bridge - not a WiFi installation. They just happen to use the 802.11AC standard for their frequency.

2 minutes ago, chromed343 said:

These are a 5Ghz bridge - not a WiFi installation. They just happen to use the 802.11AC standard for their frequency.

well i haven't tried this product specifically but i have used their 802.11n versions and you can most definitely use them as a standard access point. though you do have to make sure you set them up correctly for it as they support both the outdoor and indoor standards.

3 minutes ago, -Old-Tom- said:

well i haven't tried this product specifically but i have used their 802.11n versions and you can most definitely use them as a standard access point. though you do have to make sure you set them up correctly for it as they support both the outdoor and indoor standards.

The issue is that the way this video is being presented is that these are designed as long distance WiFi - they're not. They're designed as a P2P link that happens to be compatible with 802.11AC.

They're designed like this so that they're compatible with smaller 5Ghz receivers to work in a WISP environment.

36 minutes ago, chromed343 said:

The issue is that the way this video is being presented is that these are designed as long distance WiFi - they're not. They're designed as a P2P link that happens to be compatible with 802.11AC.

Yes they are marketed as PTP devices but you can use them as a directional access point for increased range. So technically they are WiFi. really handy if you have a building up to 1 km away as you can run your device on it's own wifi card without having to run fibre or set up the second station.

if you go to the website and look at the quickstart guide it actually shows you how to mount it (without the dish) to cover your building.

13 minutes ago, peej said:

crowd fund for the 60ft pole? i mean you guys have had a history of going big (whole room water cooling,8gmaer 1cpu ect.) do it for your fans linus 

Issue is a poll that size will normally need approval from the local air safety board. For me to put one up, I have to get it CASA approved for anything beyond 6M

1 minute ago, Windspeed36 said:

Issue is a poll that size will normally need approval from the local air safety board. For me to put one up, I have to get it CASA approved for anything beyond 6M

hmmm i guess still though gotta adimit that would be a pretty dope video 

I lurk a lot

'Only about $150' for 1 of the devices, judging by the NCIX link.

Also putting the bold 25km claim on the video thumbnail while testing it at 1-2% of the distance is ... eh... confident.

I am really digging this idea. As a matter of fact, I want to try it out but I have some questions. I am thinking about mounting one of them on top of my block which is about 16 meters high. The other one has to be installed on a pole of approximately the same height? The distance between the locations in straight line is about 4.7 kilometers. Also, my internet connection is 100MB/s. Would that be enough to deliver sufficient speed to the second location in order to be usable?

2 hours ago, alin.s said:

I am really digging this idea. As a matter of fact, I want to try it out but I have some questions. I am thinking about mounting one of them on top of my block which is about 16 meters high. The other one has to be installed on a pole of approximately the same height? The distance between the locations in straight line is about 4.7 kilometers. Also, my internet connection is 100MB/s. Would that be enough to deliver sufficient speed to the second location in order to be usable?

Not really the same height, just in the block mount it looking a bit down and in the other one a bit up. You can use the signal checker to find the sweetspot and get the best signal.

Also beware not to put it higher than the lightning rod and use the weather protector also

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W