Software Piracy Hurts Linux Adoption, Research Finds

patrick3027

I wouldn't say piracy hurts Linux. Fragmentation (turns people away), UX (nothing like Win), drivers (need to be more simpler), support (for programs and games also performance) are main things that simply won't bring it to mainstream. Until those things can reach to level of Windows Linux won't move much from it's usage %. Cause if it's not usable for majority/mainstream thus support there's not reason to use it.

Now just imagine if MS makes W10 later on free like Linux and not just like upgrade, but for anyone, just simple. That would pretty much boost the crowd for it.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

This research is a BS. People use pirated software because they forced to use the crap that MS makes nowadays... They only learn to use windows and office from the start at school, then they use only those because most company uses MS products. I experienced this too many times. Every time i get something from my employer that needs to be filled out its full of makros that work only in MS office. On top of all this even if you write something they wont accept it in open document format...:dry:

@Doobeedoo

How many years passed since the last time yo used linux? Driver support is wery good nowadays. the wast majority of HW will work out of the box. The only thing that needs to be installed is the GPU driver but there is a built in software to do that ;) . Fragmentation in my opinion is not working against linux, compared to windows its a good thing. If you dont like the direction that your current distro is taking you can switch to another one. In case of windows you cant do this. In case of games there are some improvements, valve started to roll out games and vulkan just launched so its looking good for now. And for the average internet users (who just read web pages, use youtube, read e-mails, etc...) linux in its current form is more than enough.