The Phonebloks Upgradeable Modular Smartphone Concept Is As Awesome As It Is Unlikely

I'm quite the electronics DIY'er but looking at this phone doesn't do it for me even though it should. But its probably because to me its sounds highly unlikely and this first video makes it look so incredibly gimmicky (like a large lego blocks phone).

Yarrrr, ye be warned lily-livered scallywags

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLMJpHihykI#t=93

In summary : Moore's law.

Result : Try again in 7 years when there's nothing more a processor can do, nothing more speed/bandwidth will accomplish and the market is so saturated that this idea seems either far too outdated or technology advances so far this is too expensive to be even remotely popular.

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

Saw Linus talk about this on the WAN show last Friday, and first thing I thought was, Occulus rift. Not because it's in any way related but because Occulus was an idea wayy back in the most well known form the Virtual Boy, and that died. it wasn't a hit due to technology not being ahead enough to support something so 'advanced' This is the same thing, there is no way this will work as things stand now, but in 10+ years I can see this owning the market. Nothing will beat this if it becomes reality, it's the ultimate customizable device. I'd love it, especially if you can put in high end audio gear, like a soundcard, a crazy battery, a headphone amp that can push like 600Ohms etc... mhmm finally something with good audio quality and power in a mobile device ? ... :P give it 5-10 years though xD

- Personal Rig -

AMD 7950X3D / 64GB G.SKILL DDR5-6000 EXPO / ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC
ASUS ProArt X670E / Noctua NH-D15 Corsair 4000D Airflow / Corsair RM1000x / 4 x 2TB Crucial P5 Plus

- 🪦 HW Graveyard 🪦-

MSI GTX 780 Lightning 3GB 🪦🫡 Dec 2013 - Dec 2018
Seasonic Platinum 1000W 🪦🫡 Dec 2013 - Dec 2018

PNY GTX 470 1280MB 🪦🫡 June 2010 - August 2017

Intel Q9550 / Q9450 Systems 🪦🫡 Q1-2008 - Q3-2016
- Desktop Audio Equipment -
ADAM Audio F7's | Topping D30 Pro | Topping A30 Pro | HD598 & HD6XX w/ Sheepskin Pads

Theres no market for this. Who would want to upgrade their phone? Phones aren't like computers, they aren't as complex or need raw hardware power. Im satisfied with my S4 now and when i feel its getting slow, ill just get an s5. I don't think anybody wants to stick with the same design and phone for 10 years. 

•  i7 4770k @4.5ghz 1.248v • Noctua NHD14  •  ASUS MAXIMUS VI Hero •  Asus STIRIX 980 Ti •

•  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16Gb  •  Samsung 840 250gb + Samsung 1TB 7200RPM •  BenQ XL2430T 144Hz  •

•  Fractal Design R4  •  CoolerMaster GX650 80+ •  Razer Deathadder Chroma  •  Filco Ninja 2 Red  •  HD600/HE-4/ Fiio E17  • 

I've had the opportunity to talk to a few hardware engineers here, and they've pretty much just said that the phonebloks concept is just that, a concept. A designers version of what he wants to be implemented. Things like the mainboard connecting with multiple modules at any point in time requires such advanced machining and development, that we in our current level of technology, just can't achieve.

I really would like to see a modular device come out, maybe with ARMs CPUs? Just an idea :)

Thanks for posting this topic, I haven't been able to find many comprehensible thoughts and opinions on it as of yet. Just lots of low quality videos on youtube, not good! 

#!