The Phonebloks Upgradeable Modular Smartphone Concept Is As Awesome As It Is Unlikely

Too many problems arise when you make a modular phone.

- Water damage

- Dem cracks. DUST!

>use orings. Possible..but still unreliable.

Overall, just too many gaskets to maintain. Multiple sizes won't work well, unless the company has every single dimension ready. Custom making it would make margins way too high.

15933.jpg

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

Too many problems arise when you make a modular phone.

- Water damage

- Dem cracks. DUST!

Overall, just too many gaskets to maintain. Multiple sizes won't work well, unless the company has every single dimension ready. Custom making it would make margins way too high.

As for water damage, there's waterproof cases you can buy.

As for dust, even phones now a days get dusty. If anything, I would say that having a modular phone would make it EASIER to clean out the dust from my phone, since I can easily remove each part. 

COMIC SANS

YES PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Didn't see the thread the thread until you pointed this out.

>.>

Everybody just uh...move along to that thread...this is not the thread you're looking for. 

i don't see it anywhere in tech news.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

i'd like to order a phone please!

4.5 inch screen 4K display

stock android

4K 60fps camera with attachable mount for Samsung NX lenses

Bluetooth 4.0

LTE-A

dual 802.11ac antenna

OK, let's get real here, a modular phone will be ugly and bulky...

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

Theres a good reason you've never been able to actually make a good laptop with standard parts. The form factor requires layouts that simply can't be standardized. This phone will be at least 2 of the following, likely 3: flimsy, expensive, massive or have very few actual options. No matter what it will most likely be flimsy and massive just given how they think the design should work. I really want it to work, but the problem is that it likely just won't.

Theres a good reason you've never been able to actually make a good laptop with standard parts. The form factor requires layouts that simply can't be standardized. This phone will be at least 2 of the following, likely 3: flimsy, expensive, massive or have very few actual options. No matter what it will most likely be flimsy and massive just given how they think the design should work. I really want it to work, but the problem is that it likely just won't.

the main issue is 

A.the way they think it should work most likely won't

I.so the base idea will have to be scrapped and some new idea to implement the modularity will have to be found.

a.therefore the product probably won't launch for another 5-10 years minimum

though at such time the new idea may not compromise the slimness or the physical integrity of the phone to as high an extent as the currently pitched idea would.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

A swedish designer thought (he's certainly not the first one) to do a phone with each part being a replaceable block.

It's a crowdfunding project, I think it's more to attract attention more than an actual project.

phone-bloks-2.jpg

EDIT : this is a double post, you can delete it.

https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/2931-phonebloks

It's been posted before. Cool concept though.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

Never seen this before, great idea and i would love to see it happen but i dont think our tech is quite far enough along young and even if it is it would be SOOO expensive for sure

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/55304-phonebloks-lego-like-smartphone/ This has already been posted please use the search function of the forum or google in the future :ph34r:,

Case = Bitfenix Prodigy, Motherboard = P8Z77 - I Deluxe, CPU = 3570k @ 4.2GHz, RAM = 2x 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws, GPU = Sapphire 7950 Boost Edition, Storage = 256GB Samsung 840 Pro.

seems cool. 

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

it would work better if the cpu was mounted on the base board and there was like a micro pci-e slot like or a usb connector and power can be input spread to all the connectors like a power strip from the battery so input one and out the rest it would start out as strips and maby develop later into a blocks later on when a good small connector comes around  

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

So the hole idea of computers being modular being brought to phones

So the idea of a modular phone, Say you drop your phone and the screen cracks no problem just remove two screws and take the screen off, and replace it with the latest screen with a higher res. The camera that came with the phone wasn't very good, just remove the screws, put the latest and greatest camera in and away you go.

I really like the idea of this modular concept because I'm the mobile industry phones don't last very long and the technogy is changing every day. This concept of being able to upgrade the processor to bring the phone up to speed. I really wanna see this project come to life. The concept is there just now to see it in action is another thing but to see this project come to life could change all phones and make them all get this modular design.

http://www.blameitonthevoices.com/2013/09/phoneblocks-great-concept-ide-for.html?m=1

-Bradley

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Chassis/Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Deluxe RAM:  Team Vulcan 2x4Gb(2133Mhz)  Video Card: Asus 7970 Direct CU II Custom Rom (150% Power, 1100 core 6Ghz Memory)  Power Supply: Fractal Integra R2 750 Watt  Keyboard: Cooler Master Quick Fire Rapid (MX Blue Switches)  MouseCorsair M90 Storage: SX900 128Gb, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM, WD Green 1TB 7200RPM   MY OLD BUILDLOG

The Fastest 8350 @5.33Ghz with a score of 9.16pts in Cinebench 11.5