DELL Home Server

hansitv

Hey Guys,

how does a Dell Poweredge 2950 iii with 2xXeon L5420 handle hosting a Minecraft server and a Teamspeak for friends? I wanted a L5420 because of Linus' 8-Core Gaming System that he showed off recently. Is it possible, that 8 GB auf RAM won't keep up with this load (minecraft is a RAM-Bi**h)? Or will it be fine?

Thanks in advance :)

I successfully hacked 127.0.0.1! Now I cant turn on my computer :/

6700K - z170 Pro Gaming - Samsung 850 Pro 256GB - WD Black 1TB - WD Green 3TB - External Hard drive 3TB - Zotac GTX 970 Amp! Core Edition - Fractal Define R5 - RM650 - Razer BW Chroma - Roccat Tyon Lasermouse

6 hours ago, hansitv said:

Hey Guys,

how does a Dell Poweredge 2950 iii with 2xXeon L5420 handle hosting a Minecraft server and a Teamspeak for friends? I wanted a L5420 because of Linus' 8-Core Gaming System that he showed off recently. Is it possible, that 8 GB auf RAM won't keep up with this load (minecraft is a RAM-Bi**h)? Or will it be fine?

Thanks in advance :)

They are amazingly loud machines depending on the amount of people/ plugins/version/(Spigot,Vanilla) or what ever and how large the maps are i think that you should look at this link http://canihostaminecraftserver.com/ fill that out and it will be approximately how much is recommended without plugins also one more thing is that teamspeak and a minecraft server will be a hard thing to run on a hdd so i would recommend using a SSD and a super fast Uplink and downlink 

+1 to the sound and power usage comments. I've been getting rid of these in our data centers because they are more expensive for us to run than much better, newer servers. You'd be much better off renting a VPS somewhere since the network uplink will probably be your bottleneck (after the cost of the hardware and power bills you'll spend less renting a VPS for a few years).

-KuJoe

Thanks for the replies! I have decided to build it myself, Intel Server Board, 16 GB of ram and a 400W PSU. My network uplink is 15 Mbit/s, so I think I'm good to go. Canihostaminecraftserver.com said I can host up to 40 Players with that hardware. Power isn't that much of an issue, because we pay .10 Euro per kWh. (11 cent USD) A VPS wouldn't be that kind of a solution because while it is cheaper, I just want to play with hardware and Linux :D

I successfully hacked 127.0.0.1! Now I cant turn on my computer :/

6700K - z170 Pro Gaming - Samsung 850 Pro 256GB - WD Black 1TB - WD Green 3TB - External Hard drive 3TB - Zotac GTX 970 Amp! Core Edition - Fractal Define R5 - RM650 - Razer BW Chroma - Roccat Tyon Lasermouse