Digital Foundry video on how the 2500k holds up vs new games and CPUs

Digital Foundry did a pretty cool video testing the performance of a 2500k on modern games and how it compares to the Skylake series CPUs (and a few CPUs from generations in between)

They measured performance at stock speeds with 1600mhz ram.

Stock with 2133mhz ram.

Overclocked to 4.6ghz and 1600mhz ram

Overclocked to 4.6ghz with 2133mhz ram

(UPDATE)

They released another video seeing it it may be worth upgrading the 2500k to a 3770k as most boards should support both and it would be a cheaper upgrade than a whole new CPU, motherboard and RAM.

love their test videos :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I'd say yes, definitely. I haven't watched it yet though.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

3 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Yep, amazing content again. Really love that channel. Dat AMD Driver overhead though.

The Witcher 3 and Project Cars ironically don't have much overhead, games that use gameworks.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

What's causing that overhead in ROTTR? AMD Driver or something something GameWorks?

4 minutes ago, ybriK said:

What's causing that overhead in ROTTR? AMD Driver or something something GameWorks?

TW3 and Project cars didn't have much overhead...so it'd be the driver. With the 2010 driver that I'm having to use with this laptop's HD5650, its got practically no overhead. After a fresh install on my desktop and this laptop with only the display drivers installed, the Phenom II N970 idles at 0% usage, with a few spikes up to 1-2%. My 4790K on the other hand constantly idles at around 5% across all 4 cores (not the hyperthreads) with my GTX 970 and driver 355.98.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL