Windows 10 Mobile Insider Topic

GoodBytes
1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Yeah except the Snapdragon is a bummer. That and 8GB of internal storage (oh and that 1GB RAM is kinda stupid)

If I had to get a new phone I would get the 950 XL. So much better :( but at the time I didn't have that much mullah and I still don't really.

The 640 is a good daily driver for most tasks.

The 950 is more enthusiast grade.

IMO

I get that you are an enthusiast so I see your dilemma. ;) 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Anybody else getting a "Loading..." screen when launching apps or Cortana?

EDIT: a restart appears to have fixed nothing :(

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Windows 10 Mobile will have Xbox controller support. No information if you'll be able to stream the XBox One to the phone. Support is coming with the anniversary edition of Windows 10 (Redstone 1).

http://www.windowscentral.com/hands-windows-10-mobiles-upcoming-xbox-controller-support

Cool. Gonna add that to my thread.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

My review of the Windows 10 Continuum for Windows Mobile

My Current setup utilizing Windows 10 Continuum;
Phone:       Microsoft Lumia 950XL
Dock:        HD-500 Display Dock (v4)
Video Cable: HDMI to HDMI (1m length)
Monitor:     At Home - ASUS vs228h 1920 x 1080 resolution
             At Work - HP EliteDisplay E222 1920 x 1080 resolution
Keyboard:    Microsoft BT Wedge Mobile Keyboard
Mouse:       Microsoft BT Sculpt Comfort Mouse
Speakers:    Patrionics BT Speaker

So far it all appears works together fairly well. I have had little issue with video connectivity after switching to a video cable with the same connectors (HDMI).
Bluetooth connections with the peripherals are very good, and I am happy with them so far. I have had the mouse and keyboard from using them with my tablet prior to now.
*Note that the phones screen will stay On when connected to the display dock and will act as a track pad for your mouse. You can also utilize the phones function while plugged in as well. As for the speaker it is of decent make and I had it previously, using it with my Lumia 925.

Continuum itself works pretty straight forward. The UI is of similar feel to the desktop but also has an obvious feel of the phones UI in some aspects. Continuum is fairly lacking in some areas but this is OK as I was not expecting a full desktop experience but it is definitely more than what I was expecting initially. I give the Microsoft team Kudos for the effort thus far and I an hoping that they will continue to improve on this as there is so much room for possibility here.

Continuum UI: Clean an spartan when first opened up. There is (from leftr to right) a Start button, back arrow, cortana search and muti-desktop select with the familiar bar going across the length of bottom of the screen then on the far right there is the Win10 settings/message center button.
On the top there is abar with the phones status indicators you will see at the top of the phone UI, signal, bluetooth, Battery and time.

Start Menu: Similar to the Desktop Start menu you will see your phones apps in the same configuration as the Phone UI. There is an all apps selection at the bottom of the menu when sekected will slide the menu to the left revealing the same App list as on the Phone UI. Basically the Start Menu is the Phone inteface.
Several apps will appear lit and others darkened. This indicates the apps that will run scaled up from the phone. Darkened apps will not run in Continuum. Though the number of apps that are compatible with Continuum are slim right now but more are being converted each day.

The setting / messaage center works similar to the Win10 Destop version with exception that the quick buttons are on the top instead at the bottom. Clicking on settings will open the familir Win10 settings menu with access to pretty much all the settings you will find in the Phone UI.

Microsofts Office apps work just like the internet version as has all the functions of the web versions, as far I can tell. I had no issue opening documeents from my One Drive editing and saving them.

Microsoft Edge is a very close counterpart to the desktop version and I have found very little difference. To close the app and any other app, just muose up to the top right corner a minimize "-" and close "x" will appear. 

Cortana works similar to the desktop version, when selecting it a search box will appear and you "search". Lol. It works pretty much the same.

Messaging works surprisingly well, I can massage with anyone I want while sitting at my desk without picking up my phone. :)

Mutitasking can be a pain sometimes as minimizing an app can cause it to pause like say Pandora or a podcast. I have not tested this to much so I will get back to this.

Well this is what I have for now, I will add more later when I have more to add. ;)

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

• 2 weeks later...

Microsoft is introducing a new software button in the lock screen  in the next Windows 10 Mobile Redstone preview.

Having released Windows 10 Mobile to Windows Phone handsets last month, Microsoft is currently working on the next major release for its mobile operating system. Windows 10 Mobile Redstone updates will bring some significant new features and changes to the OS, including better sync with Windows 10 PC, an improved Action Center and Notifications experience. Along with other changes and improvements, Windows 10 Mobile Redstone will also make it easier for users to access the Camera right from the lock screen.

Microsoft will add the ability to easily access Camera from the lock screen, by introducing a new button on the lock screen. Users will be able to open the Camera app by holding the Camera button on “the navigation bar whilst on the lock screen for around a second, before vibrating and opening the Camera app,” 

WinBeta reported. Microsoft is expected to introduce this Camera app feature in the next Insider Preview build, that is expected to be released next week. Microsoft released a major Preview build to Windows 10 PC Insiders this week, but couldn’t release any new test build to Windows 10 Mobile due to a breaking cellular data bug.

kam.png

Cool. But this is kind of weird.

wccftech.com/windows-10-mobile-redstone-to-add-a-camera-button-on-lockscreen

I don't think this little feature is very Tech News worthy that it needs to get everyone's attention. If it is a set of big features, then yea maybe, but this isn't.

There is a forum  thread for Windows 10 Mobile stuff just for this stuff. And you can always post there, do a discussion, and you know me, I'll be there, so if its Tech News worthy, then yea, you can post on both.

28 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I don't think this little feature is very Tech News worthy that it needs to get everyone's attention. If it is a set of big features, then yea maybe, but this isn't.

There is a forum  thread for Windows 10 Mobile stuff just for this stuff. And you can always post there, do a discussion, and you know me, I'll be there, so if its Tech News worthy, then yea, you can post on both.

Sorry. Next time I'll put it there.

WOW

wait sorry let me really show my appreciation for this utterly riveting and revolution bit of news from microsoft

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

This has been a thing for YEARS. Pitiful that they are just now getting around to emplenting this. Regardless, I suppose it's good that they are catching up. I really do want win mobile to succeed.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

On 4/11/2016 at 9:46 AM, christianled59 said:

This has been a thing for YEARS. Pitiful that they are just now getting around to emplenting this. Regardless, I suppose it's good that they are catching up. I really do want win mobile to succeed.

Windows phone has a dedicated 2 step cameras button (like a real camera). This feature is pretty useless. It is probably to help people on other device to have a better time to use the device when they transition. And for the very few, very low end models without the camera button sold on select markets.

I have merged the news with the Windows 10 Mobile forum thread.

Introducing Windows 10 Mobile 10586.218

This is available to Insiders receiving Release Preview builds.

Loads and Loads of bug fixes

• Reliability, performance and stability improvements.
  • Support for Visual Voicemail on Dual SIM phones.
  • Improvements for Bluetooth connectivity, including the reliability of connecting to and staying connected with Bluetooth devices.
  • Fix for a problem that caused audio playback to get occasionally interrupted in Groove Music and other music apps when phone display was turned off.
  • Improvements for Microsoft Edge browser, including support for configuring a prompt before a file download occurs, support for background downloads, and a fix for a problem where opening a link from an another app wouldn't load the web page.
  • Reliability improvements for Cortana reading text messages aloud and usability improvements for Quiet Hours feature.
  • Improvements for Store reliability, including a fix for a problem that prevented some apps from being updated and installed.
  • Fix for a problem that occasionally caused some apps to show blank tiles after upgrading from Windows Phone 8.1.
  • Improvements for PC connectivity via USB on some phones that were upgraded from Windows Phone 8.1.

Cool! Based on Gabe Aul on Twitter, Windows 10 Mobile new build for Fast ring is coming this week, if testing continues to be going well.

Windows 10 Mobile Redstone 1 build was delayed due to an important bug that the company discovered.

On 4/11/2016 at 8:54 AM, GoodBytes said:

Windows phone have a dedicated 2 step cameras button (like a real camera). This feature is pretty useless. It is probably to help people on other device to have a better time to use the device when they transition. And for the very few models very low end model, without the camera button sold on select markets.

I agree with having a dedicated camera button on the side the icon on the start screen is a pretty worthless feature.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

I agree with having a dedicated camera button on the side the icon on the start screen is a pretty worthless feature.

But what about those without dedicated camera buttons?

New Windows 10 Mobile Fast ring build!

Build 14322

This new build is essentially everything that the desktop has (minus extensions for Edge), and a bit more.

- You can now move Action Center titles, and add/remove buttons.

- You can now control your music playback from the lock screen

- New "Hero" notification with priority with apps

- Icons on sub option menus in the settings panel

- Moved the vibrate on nav bar button press option out of the "Extra" section to the main settings panel

- Modified battery settings like on the desktop version of Windows 10.

- Comment on feedback

- Improved Cortana like on the desktop build

- New emoticon

- Edge got improved tab, and copy/paste

- Ethernet adapter support!!! (Microsoft says it work with many adapters right now, but not all, more to come. Yes it works through the Continuum dock. Also, MS says that there is currently no indicator icon that you are on Ethernet, but disabling wifi and mobile data, will confirm to you if it works or not. Also, there is a error that may pop-up about not working when you connect the USB Ethernet for the first time, Microsoft says to ignore it, it is  false error (unless it is real))

- Messaging Everywhere Preview. Microsoft says that it doesn't work yet, but the first foundation steps are in this build, the next build will really enable it.

Here is Microsoft blog for full details:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/04/14/announcing-windows-10-mobile-insider-preview-build-14322/

And this is what has been fixed and known issues in this build:

Here’s what’s fixed for Mobile

• While we were researching issues impacting typing accuracy on end user phones, we discovered that many user dictionaries contain incorrect words or have been corrupted over time. As a one time-measure, we are resetting user dictionaries on phones to address this issue. Note that if you suspect that your user dictionary is interfering with efficient typing, you can always manually clean it by going to Settings > Privacy > Speech, Inking and Typing and select “Stop getting to know me”, “Turn off”, “Start getting to know me”, “Turn on”. In addition to this, we have added a new context to the Feedback Hub, so you can now directly log feedback for the typing suggestions or corrections. It can be found under the Input and Interaction Methods category. If you’re reporting an issue, specific examples of what you’re seeing are always helpful.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in the screen flickering while watching a full screen video or when you first launched the Camera app.
  • We’ve tuned the alarm volume ramp up for alarms using your music – the initial volume will be the same softer level we started using in earlier builds as a result of your feedback, but now it will get louder faster.
  • We updated the reminder and alert notification logic, so if you answer a call while at least one notification is visible, you no longer need to dismiss that notifications before being able to end the call. You will now see the call in-progress banner above the notification while in this state, and tapping it will bypass any existing notifications without having to first dismiss them.
  • We fixed an issue where pressing the hardware volume controls would quit Netflix playback.
  • We fixed an issue where Chinese Input Method Editor users would lose their typing history after reboot, as well as an issue resulting in the Chinese 12-key keyboard crashing if you typed “erbo” (㜦).
  • We fixed an issue where swiping from Start to the All apps list would get stuck after exiting Continuum.
  • We fixed an issue where music would sometimes stop playing a few minutes after the device had been locked or the screen had been turned off.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in the keyboard dismissing when you tapped the first key after having interacted with the app bar.
  • We fixed an issue where trying to delete and re-type an auto-correction would result in it getting auto-corrected again.
  • We fixed an issue where locking and unlocking the phone quickly with Action Center open could result in Start being stuck on resuming.
  • We fixed an issue where the keyboard would sometimes show all black when responding to a text in the Action Center above the Lock screen.
  • We fixed an issue where users with their Lock screen set to Bing would just see the default Windows 10 background.
  • We fixed an issue resulting a missing Windows logo above the Start screen in the Task Switcher.
  • We fixed an issue where phone call could stop ringing if interrupted by an SMS notification.
  • We fixed an issue where the app name on the Start tile could be truncated even though there’s space available to display it.
  • We fixed an issue where volume control would continue to show headphones volume after headphones had been disconnected.
  • Notification text in banners and Action center will now grow larger when the Ease of Access “Text Scaling” option is enabled.

Known issues for Mobile

• Language and speech packs are unable to be downloaded and will show errors due to a backend issue.
  • We’re investigating a crash with the Camera app when going into your camera roll.
  • There is an issue in which you may see duplicate apps under All apps showing as pending despite being installed and usable on your phone. You may also see some apps stuck in the Store.
  • You may see square boxes in certain apps when using some of the new emoji – we’re still getting support for the new emoji added throughout the systems, this will be resolved in a future build.
  • In some cases, users might get in a state where neither space or enter are working on the keyboard. If that happens, pressing and holding one of the apps in the All apps list until a context menu appears may resolve the issue. If this doesn’t work, you will need to reboot.

It is downloading on my side.

Happy downloading!

18 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

But what about those without dedicated camera buttons?

Honestly, any and all phone should have the camera button as standard, MS has the one up on the competition there. But I do see your point. 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

31 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Honestly, any and all phone should have the camera button as standard, MS has the one up on the competition there. But I do see your point. 

It'll be much more useful if it's available on the lock screen instead imo.

So I updated my phone, and I noticed something... no more FM Radio. :(

(Lumia 950 XL)

I'm getting error 0x80073CF6 when trying to update the apps in the Store.

5 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

So I updated my phone, and I noticed something... no more FM Radio. :(

(Lumia 950 XL)

I still have it. Then again i never use it and I'm on 10586.218

5 hours ago, atrash said:

I'm getting error 0x80073CF6 when trying to update the apps in the Store.

I'm having the exact opposite problem. I'm having too many apps to updates :D. 34 App updates to be precise.

wp_ss_20160415_0003[1].png

Finally an update, cant wait to get home and try it out. Hopefully the battery drain wont be as bad on my 640 like the last build.

3 minutes ago, ModuleLFS said:

Finally an update, cant wait to get home and try it out. Hopefully the battery drain wont be as bad on my 640 like the last build.

One of the reasons I got 640XL :). Battery and Camera are great.