Windows 10 Mobile Insider Topic

GoodBytes
On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 10:01 AM, GoodBytes said:

Just for clarification, as I got confused for a moment.

That is for the Slow and Release Preview ring. Fast ring are at 14267.1004

What's the different between Slow Ring and release preview?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I don't even know what it is...........

ICQ is a instant chatting service, one of the firsts

If we go in reverse chronological order, you have:

Skype, MSN Messenger, ICQ, IRC chat.

Basically I was a kid when ICQ appeared, with the early days of the Internet for homes.

IRC Chat was before forums that we have now. You had channels (or rooms) which you join, and in each channels you had a group of people that you chat with. Everything was group chat, unless you specifically pointed to a person in a channel.

ICQ and further chat services was the reverse. You directly talk to a person, unless you setup a group of people you know, and not just open to all.

MSN Messenger took over ICQ by having an easy way to share people ID for people add friends. ICQ works with a long number going from 0 to millions. So if you were the first, you had an easy ID to share with people like 45, when when a person adds 45, they'll see AluminiumTech, for example, and if you late it was 175332268947, and that would be, say, me, GoodBytes. As the service become popular, it became sucky to share with people their ICQ id code. At the same time, ICQ started to blast the program with pop-ups ads and ads everywhere. This is where MSN Messenger took over ICQ, by having e-mail (hotmail) that you used to share instead of codes. First hotmail was popular at the time, and e-mails are easy to share, and the program was clean with few ads, and you can customize the chat window, affected the other users. So for example, if I put say some dark theme like the forum (say), and we are chatting together, as you open my chat window, you would see the theme I applied.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

ICQ is a instant chatting service, one of the firsts

If we go in reverse chronological order, you have:

Skype, MSN Messenger, ICQ, IRC chat.

Basically I was a kid when ICQ appeared, with the early days of the Internet for homes.

IRC Chat was before forums that we have now. You had channels (or rooms) which you join, and in each channels you had a group of people that you chat with. Everything was group chat, unless you specifically pointed to a person in a channel.

ICQ and further chat services was the reverse. You directly talk to a person, unless you setup a group of people you know, and not just open to all.

MSN Messenger took over ICQ by having an easy way to share people ID for people add friends. ICQ works with a long number going from 0 to millions. So if you were the first, you had an easy ID to share with people like 45, when when a person adds 45, they'll see AluminiumTech, for example, and if you late it was 175332268947, and that would be, say, me, GoodBytes. As the service become popular, it became sucky to share with people their ICQ id code. At the same time, ICQ started to blast the program with pop-ups ads and ads everywhere. This is where MSN Messenger took over ICQ, by having e-mail (hotmail) that you used to share instead of codes. First hotmail was popular at the time, and e-mails are easy to share, and the program was clean with few ads, and you can customize the chat window, affected the other users. So for example, if I put say some dark theme like the forum (say), and we are chatting together, as you open my chat window, you would see the theme I applied.

Owh i remember that theme function. Having snowflakes on your chat window, or that big red lip kiss appearing on your chat window.. Also spending hours and hours in cyber cafe chatting in random chat rooms. I feel old.. LOL

Microsoft confirms that if your phone has 512MB of RAM, don't expect Windows 10 Mobile

http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-confirms-512mb-windows-phone-devices-will-not-get-windows-10-mobile

Welp. I have 1GB. Next time Something major happens might not be so lucky :(

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

7 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Microsoft confirms that if your phone has 512MB of RAM, don't expect Windows 10 Mobile

http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-confirms-512mb-windows-phone-devices-will-not-get-windows-10-mobile

Dang it, my 925 didn't make the list.

I guess it will have to do with the preview version...but then again I have my 950xl xD

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

You didn't answer my other question.

What's the different between Slow Ring and release preview?

Yeah phone with 512MB ram is not worth supporting for the upgrade imo. My L620 is a bitch to install the insider preview and it also lags like crazy.

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

Dang it, my 925 didn't make the list.

I guess it will have to do with the preview version...but then again I have my 950xl xD

Surprised they finally put the glance option in the setting on the 925. Seems stable enough for daily use. I'm going to pass the phone to my mum soon. Her L720 is really on its last leg.

Just now, atrash said:

Yeah phone with 512MB ram is not worth supporting for the upgrade imo. My L620 is a bitch to install the insider preview and it also lags like crazy.

Surprised they finally put the glance option in the setting on the 925. Seems stable enough for daily use. I'm going to pass the phone to my mum soon. Her L720 is really on its last leg.

I suppose. But it handles 10 pretty well. There is some minor lag during start up but its hardly noticeable most of the time and I have noticed improved performance for other things but, oh well its an old phone, its time to let it go...

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

13 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

You didn't answer my other question.

Sorry, I missed it.

Release Preview is the build of Win10 Mobile that Microsoft really thinks that this will be the one to officially release, and access firmware update not  yet approved by your carrier. If your carrier blocks things, and don't want to beta test, this is a great option to get the latest build of the OS and firmware update bypassing your carrier.

New Windows Maps is release. You must be on the Fast Ring to access it. It is much improved! New driving mode, new GUI.

Has anyone tried out continuum with the Display Dock? I got mine today, but I am having an issue.

Plugged in everything as instructed but nothing is displaying on the monitor, kind of frustrating.

950xl

HD-500 Display Dock - Lights indicate no errors, solid red without phone then a solid white with phone plugged in.

Microsoft Wireless mouse - confirmed working

DisplayPort to HDMI video cable - confirmed working with another device

HP EliteDisplay E222 Monitor - confirmed works when plugged into pc

Included Type C to C cable - shows good connection

Included Power adapter - shows good connection

After initial connection of phone and dock, update was requested and successfully installed. Unplugged and restarted dock and phone.

Re plugged everything, lights are all good, no display on monitor.

I did some looking but did not find useful information on help site. I am wondering if the monitor is not supported but it seems to me that is an odd thing to think. Most moniotor accept generic display drivers.

Thought or Suggestions?

I will continue to try other things to narrow down the issue better. I have 2 other video cables at home (of identical make) I can try just in case this one went bad but that will have to wait until I get home.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Try Display Port to Display port, or HDMI, to HDMI. Don't try and convert

13 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Try Display Port to Display port, or HDMI, to HDMI. Don't try and convert

Unfortunate that the video cables I have.

I will have to get one that way. Let me see if I have one around here at work.... *crossing fingers*

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Found a DP to DP cable. Its works!!!!!!!

:)

OK that is not right. I think the next firmware needs to support the conversion.

But the thing is from what I read the conversion is suppose to work. :(

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

OK first impressions of continuum....Impressed.

Works pretty well. There a few things I can think of that need some improvement (there is always room for improvement)

I will give a more detailed impression later on.

The thing is though, I so called this. I told my brother a few years ago it wont long before pcs begin becoming the size of my phone or phones start having pc like performance. I was right. I am stoked. This will make some aspects of my work so much easier. Just take my phone around and plug it in. Have a dock with monitor at home, and at work and just take my phone back and forth... xD of it take a while to get this all down to a science of course. Cant wait till the surface phones come out... I am such a nerd.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just now, SansVarnic said:

Works pretty well. There a few things I can think of that need some improvement (there is always room for improvement)

The thing is though, I so called this. I told my brother a few years ago it wont long before pcs begin becoming the size of my phone or phones start having pc like performance. I was right. I am stoked. This will make some aspects of my work so much easier. Just take my phone around and plug it in. Have a dock with monitor at home, and at work and just take my phone back and forth... xD of it take a while to get this all down to a science of course. Cant wait till the surface phones come out... I am such a nerd.

If only I had waited 7 months..... Then I would have gotten Lumia 950.

1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

Yeah as mentioned by Goodbyte, try a direct cable. Mine works fine with a hdmi cable to a TV. 

Glad you're impressed with continuum. Have you tried playing any videos in continuum? Mine doesn't seemed to output any sound to the tv, only through the phone instead. I've tried playing with so many setting on the tv but nothing worked. And it feels a bit weird/janky using edge where you can't leave a tab running(something with a video or sound) while opening another. It will refresh when you switched back to it.

The dock now sits in the box until I can get myself a proper keyboard and maybe a spare monitor. I don't have any keyboard laying around because I only have a laptop LOL

kinda bummed that MS is going back on its promise to update all lumia/WP8 devices.  

well anyway I'll keep my L920 and hope they have some insider stuff for it still. Not a good showing from MS now... How can we believe their word now if they can easily change their stance? 

anyway I'm halfway out from W10M.  I still like the OS,  but they way MS is handling it is really atrocious. 

I think Windows 10 Mobile will run on the phones that runs Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview now.

Meaning, if your phone runs Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview, but not listed at supported, you are still good. I think Microsoft meant that the OS won't be officially supported due to performance issue it got from users. So, in other words, if you find Windows 10 Mobile run fine on your phone, despite being unsupported, you are good, just use the Insider Preview, and you get what you get. Just don't expect Microsoft to do anything related to performance for your phone if things goes down in the future due to added features. And if it is slow to start with, then, well, Microsoft can't/won't do anything, as it isn't supported. They don't want to support it. A move that is probably because they see it , as potentially hurt the image of the OS, and future feature set.

Now I don't know, and this point, I am probably talking my ass off, but as for the more performing phones not having Windows 10 Mobile officially supported, which is my understanding that some people complain about. It could be the CPU or GP doesn't support instructions sets that Microsoft would like to use, or the hardware used inside, is from manufacture that completely discontinued to support, so can't have the drivers updated, even if they want to pay the company money (or too costly). Now, again, this is just my guess. I don't know much about phones. So if I am completely wrong, well, please expect I am completely wrong, lets leave it at that. But if Win10 Mobile Insider Builds runs fine for you, than great!

12 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

-snip-

sorry @GoodBytes it's not that I'm not getting W10M/mad about it.  it's just looking from the consumer perspective,  it's not the first time Microsoft has screwed up from an upgrade perspective, in fact this time it's worse because we have them on record promising/saying that ALL Lumia Phones (at least which makes up most of the WP market)  would get it. Heck even the BLU phone was ADVERTISED as W10M upgradable. sure they still might get upgraded in the future. But once again their communication in this and a whole boat ton of other matters  is REALLY killing whatever momentum they've got. 

Do I still think Microsoft is the most exciting company to watch out currently? Yes I do,  but I can't say that this whole fiasco hasn't left a sour taste in my mouth.  No wonder the gamers are still so salty with them. 

On 3/19/2016 at 11:03 PM, atrash said:

Yeah as mentioned by Goodbyte, try a direct cable. Mine works fine with a hdmi cable to a TV. 

Glad you're impressed with continuum. Have you tried playing any videos in continuum? Mine doesn't seemed to output any sound to the tv, only through the phone instead. I've tried playing with so many setting on the tv but nothing worked. And it feels a bit weird/janky using edge where you can't leave a tab running(something with a video or sound) while opening another. It will refresh when you switched back to it.

The dock now sits in the box until I can get myself a proper keyboard and maybe a spare monitor. I don't have any keyboard laying around because I only have a laptop LOL

WiFi continuum with my TV works flawless so far. I have not tried sound through the dock yet. None of my monitors have speakers. I will try different setups and get back on this.

Video through WiFi is ok but I think that is because of my routers WiFi is to far away to get a decent signal to stream.

I am using a blue tooth mouse and keyboard paired up with my phone and that seems to work pretty well.

Though with the lack of x86 support of apps on the mobile side, but this is expanding, I am continually to be impressed.

I have already considered buying a second dock for work. :)

I have submitted a few suggestions on some function but I am working on my full take to be posted later.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 3/19/2016 at 0:03 AM, atrash said:

Have you tried updating the dcks firmware from v3 to v4? 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

50 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Have you tried updating the dcks firmware from v3 to v4? 

I can update the dock firmware?