Windows 10 Mobile Insider Topic

GoodBytes

NEW UMP Skype app for Windows 10 mobile. Not in the Windows Store yet but you can side load the app onto your phone.

Here is how to install it.:

1. Download the appX file from Mega
  2. Copy the file from your PC to your Windows 10 mobile device.
  3. Open the file using File Explorer (double tap)
  4. Say yes to the prompt to install
  5. It may take up to a minute or more to install, and there will be no install dialog/progress bars during the process; it all happens in the background

This will replace your skype app. It apparently doesn't do any skype calls but is suppose to be able to message. Go check it out. Uninstall it just like any other app by doing a long press in the app list and selecting "uninstall" in the drop down menu.

Article:

http://www.windowscentral.com/skype-preview-windows-10-mobile-leaks?utm_medium=slider&utm_campaign=navigation&utm_source=wp

Original Post by snickler:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/windows-10/windows-10-mobile/list-o-skype-uwp-packages-w10m-support-t3390963

The new Skype app, is insanely impressive. Video/Audio doesn't seem to connect, but chat, animations, looks, everything... is just freaking amazing!

It is now perfectly in sync with my desktop (less than 0.5 sec delay), no out of order messages, you have the notifications, live tile, and it is solid.

I can't wait for the official release of this app! It is crazy how I get exacted for a silly thing such as Skype.. it is nice to see some serious effort put forward by the team to make an amazing job. Hopefully it continues forward.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/06/01/announcing-windows-10-mobile-insider-preview-build-14356/

Build 14356.1000

Here’s what’s new in Build 14356

This builds focus;

• Cortana Improvements
  • Get notifications from your phone to your PC: Cortana will now surface your phone notifications and critical alerts, including messages from messaging services, SMS or social media as well as missed calls from any Windows 10 phone or Android device to your PC, so you never miss a beat while staying focused on your PC.
  • NOTE: Android requires Cortana version 1.7.1 or higher. (download here for U.S. and download here for China) Some actions on Cortana forward notifications may not be fully functional yet, including reply from PC (for Windows 10 Mobile). Muting the forwarded Windows 10 Mobile notifications per app will come soon. In the meantime, if you want to stop receiving phone notifications, go to Cortana settings and toggle off “Send notifications between devices”. 
  • Send a photo from your phone to PC: If you need to quickly transfer a photo from your phone to your PC wirelessly – just ask Cortana “send this photo to my PC” and see what happens. This feature is currently exclusive to Windows 10 phones.
  • New listening animation: When you tap the mic icon in Cortana, there is a new animation that shows Cortana is listening to you as you speak.

New Cortana listening animation

Fixed;

Spoiler

Here’s what’s fixed for Mobile

• We fixed an issue that was resulting in high battery usage when using the Microsoft Health app.
  • We fixed an issue where the 75-85% battery icon was not very accurate, and made it look like you had more battery left than you actually did.
  • We updated the UI for rearranging Quick Actions in the Settings app to now show a visual confirmation of readiness on press and hold, and to show the other Quick -Actions reflowing while you’re dragging the Quick Action to its new spot.
  • The Settings app will no longer crash when you are re-arranging Quick Actions resulting in the loss of Quick Action slots.
  • We fixed an issue that caused the Brightness Quick Action to appear missing.
  • We updated thumbnail generation logic to now only create the small thumbnail automatically after taking a picture, and create a larger thumbnail on demand. This saves SD card space for people who take a very large number of photos.
  • We have made improvements to the Glance screen. We fixed an issue that resulted in the Glance screen clock occasionally not being up to date. The Glance screen will now “Always show Glance screen when charging” as the default behavior. And we fixed an issue resulting in Glace screen possibly showing an unexpected and extremely large badge count.
  • We fixed an issue where the Alarms & Clock app might not update corresponding to a time zone change, resulting in an alarm going off at the wrong time.
  • We fixed an issue where the Camera app wouldn’t launch from the hardware key for certain devices if the Flashlight Quick Action was active.
  • We decreased the size of icons used in notifications from 64×64 to 48×48 – maintaining the visibility, while improving the use of space in the Action Center.
  • We fixed an issue where the solid black rectangle of the keyboard could sometimes be seen for a second after entering your pin on the Lock screen to unlock your device.
  • We fixed a few issues causing the keyboard not to come up with various UWP apps like the Messaging app, Microsoft Edge, and Cortana.
  • We fixed an issue where diversity emoji might show up as two characters (emoji and diversity modifier) in certain apps, including Messaging.
  • We updated backup logic to also include Start tile transparency percent, so that backups created from Build 14356 onwards will restore preferred transparency.
  • We fixed an issue that resulted in PCs failing to connect to the phone’s mobile hotspot with the error “Can’t set up network”.
  • We have updated app names on Live tiles to now reflect Ease of Access’ Text Scaling setting.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in the Brightness Quick Action not doing anything on certain devices after setting brightness to “automatic” in the Settings app.
  • We fixed an issue that resulted in Groove crashing when swiping to open the hamburger menu.
  • We fixed an issue that resulted in the Settings app sometimes freezing for a bit when moving a very large number of apps to a SD card.
  • We fixed an issue that resulted in Continuum having extremely fast scrolling inertia with certain TVs.
  • Fixed an issue where Glance screen might show stale badge counters for a few seconds immediately after Glance appeared
  • We have updated the Mobile Hotspot settings page to give clearer error messaging when setting up a hotspot fails due to no SIM being connected.
  • We fixed an issue that could result in Reminders not showing up at the correct time after upgrading.
  • We fixed an issue that would result in Cortana not showing any results if you started the mic and didn’t say anything, and then typed out the query.
  • We improved the reliability of Cortana listening after tapping the mic button.
  • We improved the refresh time of Wi-Fi data usage breakdown under Settings > Network and wireless > Data usage so it will more quickly update to reflect your usage when you open the page.
  • We fixed an issue where the navigation bar buttons for certain devices might be mapped incorrectly when the phone was locked leading to press and hold on back button invoking one-handed mode, and press and hold on Windows button invoking search.
  • We fixed an issue that resulted in not being able to turn off Bluetooth above the Lock screen without entering your pin.
  • We fixed an issue where certain apps, such as WhatsApp, were not displaying a detailed status on the Lock screen.
  • We fixed an issue where certain games developed for Windows Phone 8.1 might not scale correctly after the navigation bar had been hidden and would result in a black bar at the bottom of the screen on devices like the Lumia 535

Known Issues;

Spoiler
  • We are continuing to investigate battery life issues impacting certain devices. We have fixed a few bugs that improve battery life but we have more work to do here.
  • We are investigating data issues with some Dual-SIM devices where cellular data doesn’t work correctly with a second SIM. Several issues relating to cellular data with Dual-SIM devices have been reported by Insiders with the last two Mobile builds and we’re investigating these reports.
  • In some cases, the new Cortana features highlighted above may not work. Restarting your phone should fix the issue and get the features working.
  • After installing this build, you may notice your Quick Actions icons are not in the same order. This is a side effect of the fixes/changes we made to Action Center. To re-arrange your icons to your preferred order, just go to Settings > System > Notifications & actions > (Quick actions) and touch, hold, and then drag to re-arrange icons to whatever position you want. Remember: the four items in the top row are what will show as your immediately viewable Quick Actions.
  • ADDED 6/2: Your phone make freeze after touching the screen immediately after enabling Narrator

Just did the update today even though the update was released on the 1st.

I am excited to get into it and see how it is. :) xD

Edited by SansVarnic
added picture

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I can't get the notifications from my phone to my PC working or messaging app working.. does it work for you guys (yes, I have the latest build on both device)

6 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I can't get the notifications from my phone to my PC working or messaging app working.. does it work for you guys (yes, I have the latest build on both device)

My pc is still at my parents house (still trying to move but we found another house today so maybe it will happen soon) so I am unable to test this function yet. :( 

Soon though, hopefull, soon I can get it back to start getting into the experience again. ^_^

(I really hopes this house workout for us we really need a bigger place for my family)

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 6/3/2016 at 3:17 PM, GoodBytes said:

Cortana would show up in my notifications on my PC that showed some notification from my phone. It did work I guess. Didn't have a problem with the Messaging app itself but I did have a problem with my network. Also, after installing the preview skype app I was having problems sending messages on it. Tried to install the other skype app but that didn't work. I whipped my phone and updated to slow ring which is now on the previous OS build released.

Those features did work for me though.

So I just wanted to know if anyone else is having a battery life problem? It seems to be related to the cellular radio. Occasionally, my phone (lumia 1520), will quit receiving/sending text and phone calls. According to the notification center it seems to be trying to send text and calls over wifi. But when this happens my battery life starts to tank!

so the problem is that the cellular radio quits functioning correctly AND it causes the battery life to drain.

it doesn't seem to happen ata specific event though.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

New Windows 10 Mobile release - Build 14361

This build is all bug fixes and improvement. I noticed that Edge extension option under about:config page, is now gone. I guess extension support on the mobile side of Edge is coming later, maybe for Redstone 2.

• We fixed the issue that was causing your phone to freeze after touching the screen immediately after enabling Narrator.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in a strange grey bar frequently being seen on the left side of the Microsoft Edge browser window (for example, after invoking a context menu).
  • Going forward from Build 14361, your preferred DPI setting will be backed up and reapplied when restoring your phone.
  • We fixed an issue where “Find on Page” in Microsoft Edge wouldn’t always scroll the word into view. We also fixed an issue resulting in videos played on Facebook flickering if you started playing them after rotating the phone with the video in full screen mode.
  • We fixed an issue where text was being truncated instead of wrapped in the Windows Insider Program page in the Settings app.
  • We polished the notification dismissal model. Now if you receive and dismiss multiple interactive notifications in a row, the black transparent background will not start fading away between them. We fixed an issue that was making it more difficult to dismiss a notification with a hero image, an issue where peeking at a notification while watching Netflix would result in the video pausing, an issue where the keyboard could end up covering the quick reply text box, and an issue where certain notifications might just say “new notification” after a reboot. We also fixed an issue where Action Center would close unexpectedly quickly if a notification had been expanded when you start moving the Action Center’s border up. And we also fixed an issue where an incoming notification would stop Action Center from opening if you were in the process of swiping it down when a notification arrived.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in the “now charging” sound frequently playing twice when the charging cable has been plugged in.
  • We fixed an issue where the “Everytime” setting for how often to prompt for pin would be blank on the Sign-in Settings page after opening Settings from the Lock screen.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in not being able to infinitely cycle left or right through the Phone app’s tabs.
  • We fixed an issue where the Lumia 535 and 540 were not displaying a flash toggle in the Camera app.
  • We have updated the text prediction engine for multilingual users, so now the candidates you see when selecting a word will be based on the active keyboard language, rather than the language that was active at the time the word was written.
  • You can now use the keyboard with one hand with additional 5-inch devices such as the Lumia 640 and 830. To use this feature, press the space bar and slide the keyboard to the left or the right – whatever feels most comfortable for you! To return the keyboard to the center, press the space bar again, and slide it back to the middle. You can also slide the keyboard up, using the same method, so it’s closer to the top of the screen if you prefer a higher grip on your phone.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in not being able to infinitely cycle left or right through the Phone app’s tabs.

Download it now!

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

New Windows 10 Mobile release - Build 14361

This build is all bug fixes and improvement. I noticed that Edge extension option under about:config page, is now gone. I guess extension support on the mobile side of Edge is coming later, maybe for Redstone 2.

Download it now!

Is Insider Fast ring more stable now?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

New Skype Windows 10 Mobile app version leaked today! Version 11.6.36, the previous leak was 11.6.26.

Apparently the video calling and audio calling now works. I have yet to try it.

You can download it here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/windows-10/windows-10-mobile/list-o-skype-uwp-packages-w10m-support-t3390963

Quick Recall:

To install it, simply download it on your PC, set your phone as dev mode, transfer it, and in your phone, use File Explorer to go where you put the Skype app, and run it. Wait a bit, and WIndows will ask you if you want to install it. Once again, the process has no progress bar, and you just need to wait several minutes (well depends on your phone) before the app is actually installed and running.

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Is Insider Fast ring more stable now?

You are asking the wrong person. They all have been very stable. Buggy (what is new), but stable.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

You are asking the wrong person. They all have been very stable. Buggy (what is new), but stable.

Why am I asking the wrong person? Ohh you went back to Official Release?

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 6:23 AM, SansVarnic said:

My pc is still at my parents house (still trying to move but we found another house today so maybe it will happen soon) so I am unable to test this function yet. :( 

Soon though, hopefull, soon I can get it back to start getting into the experience again. ^_^

(I really hopes this house workout for us we really need a bigger place for my family)

Is the Fast Ring Redstone builds now stable?

5 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Why am I asking the wrong person? Ohh you went back to Official Release?

What? no.. :)

Because I have no idea what you meant by "stable now" it has always been stable. So, as I never had  any issues, am not having your problem, and therefore, don't know if it is better for your computer configuration.

Ok I tried the new Skype app, for me I can't do phone calls... still doesn't work.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

What? no.. :)

Because I have no idea what you meant by "stable now" it has always been stable. So, as I never had  any issues, am not having your problem, and therefore, don't know if it is better for your computer configuration.

Computer configuration lol.........

Yeah mean phone configuration But I know what you meant....

Previously loads of apps crashed when opening them.

19 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Previously loads of apps crashed when opening them.

All is fine on my phone. I have yet to use Bluetooth with Windows Maps for turn by turn navigation to know if they broke that again, but so far all is good with this latest build, with my Lumia 950 XL.

I did notice that the Settings app crashes when leaving (hitting back button), the privacy section after enabling or disabling an app a certain permission. Sending messages with my PC still doesn't work.

20 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

All is fine on my phone. I have yet to use Bluetooth with Windows Maps for turn by turn navigation to know if they broke that again, but so far all is good with this latest build, with my Lumia 950 XL.

I did notice that the Settings app crashes when leaving (hitting back button), the privacy section after enabling or disabling an app a certain permission. Sending messages with my PC still doesn't work.

Same here.

New update  has been good to me so far.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

31 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Same here.

New update  has been good to me so far.

Welp. I had too many issues. I went back.

21 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Welp. I had too many issues. I went back.

OK, correction,apparently I had one bug, when I was using my Kindle reader app my battery drained in 3hrs. :( 

Going to do some more tries to make sure it was not a fluke - will have to wait until after work though.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

*update*

My battery issue seems to have worked itself out.

Liking the ability to move the keyboard around, just need to introduce that curved keyboard...

Still waiting for extension support. - I know, I know but surfing the net with adblock on mobile would be so much better. ?

Edge is worlds faster, the response time is ridiculously fast. I will admittedly say it is faster than chrome. My data plan limit has been reached but pages are loading as though it wasn't. I have 6GB free high speed then it would throttle from high speed to 128kbs ☹ , since this update I can't tell the difference. Even before with high speed, pages would load slowly. I am impressed with this fix.

Still exploring so that is all I have for now. ?

(Submitted via my mobile phone)

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I know this isn't exactly new BUT I digress, nobody has talked about it so I will. :)

Insider Release Preview build 10586.338

some bug fixes and performance improvements (it actually says they improved performance)

Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14366 & Mobile Build 14364
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/06/14/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14366-mobile-build-14364/

The team is now laser focused on getting ready to ship the Windows 10 Anniversary Update to customers this summer. This means you won’t see significant new features in builds for a little while. But these builds will include a bunch of really good and important fixes and general performance improvements that we need Windows Insiders to check out and give us feedback on. This update will go out to the 300+ million active devices already running Windows 10 today and beyond. Windows Insiders are critical to helping make that the Windows 10 Anniversary Update awesome for our customers.

Just like last time, the Quest will be marked as with:

LIMITED TIME Quests: Quests marked as “LIMITED TIME” will expire within 24hrs of being published so make sure you get to these before the time runs out and they’re replaced with new Quests.

ADVANCED Quests: Quests marked as “ADVANCED” are more technical and may require changing the system configuration on your device and require an understanding on how to revert the changes after the Quest is done. You should only perform Quests that you feel comfortable doing, if something goes wrong you’ll need to be able to troubleshoot how to get back to a good state on your PC.

Improvements and fixes for Mobile (Build 14364)

• We made some fit-and-finish updates to the Settings app such as tightening the spacing between checkboxes (like on the Sounds settings page). We also fixed an issue where settings pages wouldn’t show a progress indicator if they needed a while to load.
  • We fixed an issue where a number of app logos were missing from notifications, despite them being visible in the Action Center.
  • We fixed an issue where the Alarms and Clock Live tile would still show that an alarm was active after a one-time alarm had gone off and been dismissed.
  • We fixed an issue where Cortana would prompt you to unlock your device before reading a text over Bluetooth.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in Microsoft Edge crashing when trying to scroll certain webpage.
  • We fixed an issue where disconnecting from Bluetooth speakers would result in the phone being set to vibrate if it hadn’t already.

Known issues for Mobile (Build 14364)

• You won’t be able to deploy an app via Visual Studio 2015 Update 2 to a phone running this build. As a workaround – you can deploy the app by using the Windows 10 Application Deployment (WinAppDeployCmd.exe) command-line tool. We are working to get a build out with this fixed as soon as possible.
  • We are investigating data issues with some Dual-SIM devices where cellular data doesn’t work correctly with a second SIM. Several issues relating to cellular data with Dual-SIM devices have been reported by Insiders with the last two Mobile builds and we’re investigating these reports.
  • After installing this build, you may notice your Quick Actions icons are not in the same order. This is a side effect of the fixes/changes we made to Action Center. To re-arrange your icons to your preferred order, just go to Settings > System > Notifications & actions > (Quick actions) and touch, hold, and then drag to re-arrange icons to whatever position you want. Remember: the four items in the top row are what will show as your immediately viewable Quick Actions.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

@GoodBytes see what I did there? lol....

(Self Ban for copy pasting two parts of an article in to 2 separate topics.... lol)

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

26 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

@GoodBytes see what I did there? lol....

(Self Ban for copy pasting two parts of an article in to 2 separate topics.... lol)

Oh I see what you did here... a report in permanently banning you is being processed already. LOL!

Just kidding! :D

It's all good. It's not a Tech News section item, and beside it is just all minor stuff. We will probably have 1 more build after the bug bash, where they fix what they can fix, and that would be it... official release of Redstone 1. Then like last time, it will probably be quiet for 1 months or so, and then Redstone 2 build will start with mostly nothing, as they prepare for the grounds work, and then we get interesting things once again.