Windows 10 Mobile Insider Topic

GoodBytes
7 minutes ago, atrash said:

I can update the dock firmware?

Yeah. If you use the gadgets app it will detect the dock. In the options you can choose check for updates. And ittl bring it to v4 which fixes a lot of minor bugs. 

BUT gadgets app wont see the dock in some versions of insider builds. Thus you can't update. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

Well today I decided to test the newest Windows 10 Update and started installing it. I installed Windows Insider as I did before and I choose the Insider Fast option. Everything was fine during the installation and then, when i was done installing the preview build. I opened my lockscreen and went to People to import the contacts from my Gmail. When the log in window popped up i clicked on the screen to write my email address.... but the keyboard wasn't popping up. I tried using the search but same result... no keyboard. I had the same problem half a year ago when I wanted to see the preview build. I even changed to the Insider Release Preview option and I had the same result. Any help would be great. Thanks :)

What is your phone?

Did you try restarting the phone?

There is a bug in the latest Insider Preview Fast Ring for Windows 10 Mobile, where you can't reset the phone (that means clear everything and re-install), with backup enabled, as it screws things up. Basically, the backup is screwed up.

Backup all your stuff manually, disable phone backup, and rest the phone (Settings > System > About  > Reset your phone (all the way at the bottom)).

I usually need to restart the phone (press and hold power button) once I updated Windows 10 Mobile, since day 1 with any build. It is like there is an issue where it needs 1 last reboot that is missing. Then everything works well.

I did and I had the same result when i restarted the phone. I have a Nokia Lumia 1320. 

On 3/23/2016 at 0:17 PM, goodtofufriday said:

Have you tried updating the dcks firmware from v3 to v4? 

Yes it is running v4, it was the first thing the phone did upon the first connection was to check for updates.

On 3/23/2016 at 1:08 PM, atrash said:

I can update the dock firmware?

Yes.

I am all good now, I am using an HDMI to HDMI cord. I went out an bought one the next day.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

New Windows 10 Mobile (and Windows 10) Fast ring build released (Build 14295)

But only a small update but contains important fixes from some issues of the previous build.

For example, Windows 10 Mobile latest build fixes the phone reset issue with backup enabled.

You can read the full update log details for both OS here:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/03/25/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14295-for-pc-and-mobile/

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

@atrash

@goodtofufriday

Just wanted to point this out since it pertains to the conversation above with the docks. 

Glad I saw this. :)

Known issues for Mobile

• After updating to the most recent builds from our Development Branch, a system API failure occurs after the update that causes the Microsoft Band 1 or 2 to have sync issues. To get out of this bad state, you can reset your phone on this build, re-pair your Microsoft Band, and syncing should work again.
  • After upgrading to this build from a previous build from our Development Branch, attempting to connect to a Miracast receiver the connection will fail. There is no workaround for this issue unfortunately on Mobile.
  • The Gadgets app will not detect the Microsoft Display Dock on phones running Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview builds, and thus cannot update the firmware version. If you have a dock which has already been updated to version 4 then this will not affect you. If you have a dock that has not been updated, then you may experience some minor issues with USB-C stability. You will still be able to use your dock and Continuum.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

12 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

New Windows 10 Mobile (and Windows 10) Fast ring build released (Build 14295)

But only a small update but contains important fixes from some issues of the previous build.

For example, Windows 10 Mobile latest build fixes the phone reset issue with backup enabled.

You can read the full update log details for both OS here:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/03/25/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14295-for-pc-and-mobile/

So this means I can test out redstone 1 now? And if so how stable is it?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

4 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

So this means I can test out redstone 1 now? And if so how stable is it?

On my side, each build has been more stable and better in everyway (minus the known problems), at every new builds

Apparently the display dock will only output audio through hdmi on full HD tv. I think mine is only HD. And weirdly enough I can use continuum with the display dock but the gadget app can't detect it so I don't know what firmware version the dock has.

Edit: I've been using Continuum for almost 8 hours straight now. I noticed that i can't actually turn off the display on my 950XL while using Continuum. WOuldn't this create a possible burn in issue on the OLED display? I've turned down the display brightness to the lowest if that would help.

7 hours ago, atrash said:

<snip>

Edit: I've been using Continuum for almost 8 hours straight now. I noticed that i can't actually turn off the display on my 950XL while using Continuum. WOuldn't this create a possible burn in issue on the OLED display? I've turned down the display brightness to the lowest if that would help.

I agree that should be an option, especially if your using both a mouse and keyboard. I know that the screen stays on so you can use it as a touch pad of sorts.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

I agree that should be an option, especially if your using both a mouse and keyboard. I know that the screen stays on so you can use it as a touch pad of sorts.

After more than 12 hours playing twitch on Edge, the phone surprisingly held really well. It got warm but not too bad. Scrolling using the screen is still iffy. I wish I can set the settings for the keyboard and mouse just like in W10. I hope they'll fix the audio output soon.

GoPro is in financial difficulties. That is why they are cutting.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

GoPro is in financial difficulties. That is why they are cutting.

I know. still shows you hpow alot of companies feel about W10M; nothing more than an afterthought.

1 hour ago, Ex14 said:

I know. still shows you hpow alot of companies feel about W10M; nothing more than an afterthought.

It is business. Assuming that ALL supported Windows Phones runs Windows 10 Mobile. That is ~50% of the market share of the Windows phone one.

Among all of those, what percentage of them uses a Go Pro? Probably not many.

When you are in financial difficulties, you need to cut. What is better? Cutting engineers that works for you (assuming you are GoPro) and tries to complete with the industry, for Windows 10 Mobile app, despite having the Windows Phone 8 version of the app runs great on Windows 10 Mobile in the first place? Or put on hold plans for Windows 10 Mobile app, and focus on Android and iOS, and cut no employees, giving these 2 OS more resources for making better product that might interest consumers.

46 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

It is business. Assuming that ALL supported Windows Phones runs Windows 10 Mobile. That is ~50% of the market share of the Windows phone one.

Among all of those, what percentage of them uses a Go Pro? Probably not many.

When you are in financial difficulties, you need to cut. What is better? Cutting engineers that works for you (assuming you are GoPro) and tries to complete with the industry, for Windows 10 Mobile app, despite having the Windows Phone 8 version of the app runs great on Windows 10 Mobile in the first place? Or put on hold plans for Windows 10 Mobile app, and focus on Android and iOS, and cut no employees, giving these 2 OS more resources for making better product that might interest consumers.

i understand. But like i was trying to hound on in my last 2 post, you can really see the importance of W10M in the eyes of a dev; etc not as imptnt as Android or iOS. if we were important or if UWP was of any interest (pairing it with tablets and computers etc) they wouldn't have dropped it. It just shows

1) W10M does not enough user base/provide enough incentive for them to develop an app

2)Even with the UWP And W10 adoption it still sin;t enough for a company to even consider it as vital to their operations.

Kinda makes you wonder how MS vision of UWP being W10M saving grace would actually come to fruition.

Also your analogy is kinda a moot point seeing as to how GoPro did cut back stuff alrdy.

Android took YEARS before it was considered seriously by devs, despite a large market share.

And even today, despite iOS being lower market share, apps are made first on iOS, and generally more polished than the Android version, and that is today.

It is a mentality thing, where most of this decision is not even made by devs, but upper management. In fact, many apps from companies on phones aren't made by the company itself, they don't have phone developers. They hire a company to do the app for them (design and all). And upper management says "oh we need iOS to be the best/first version".

So, already the fact that Windows 10 UWP is even TALKED and that we have some apps, is really big already. A huge step. And Microsoft is not pushing or advertising any Windows 10 Mobile device or OS. It is believe that Microsoft knows that Windows 10 Mobile is not ready. And I don't mean in stability and bugs, I mean in the grand vision of Windows 10. I have a friend that works in a company that makes mobile apps for companies, and he says that Windows Phone 7/8 was NEVER mentioned. Windows 10 Mobile IS being mentioned, mostly because Windows 10. Now, mentioned doesn't mean apps are coming, but it is talked about, BY THE CLIENT, during contract negotiating and project development. So this is HUGE progress.

If you want some good news, Slack, the popular chat service for small communities and small businesses has a Windows 10 Mobile app. They never had one for Blackberry OS, but they have one for Windows 10 Mobile, and it IS continuously updated, and is on par (yes on par!) with Android, iOS, and desktop (Win32) version.

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 8:02 PM, GoodBytes said:

On my side, each build has been more stable and better in everyway (minus the known problems), at every new builds

Welp. Just tried it out and a lot of apps are crashing :(.

And Cortana now takes forever to open. Seriously why does it need a loading animation. Just load it already.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

6 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

And Cortana now takes forever to open. Seriously why does it need a loading animation. Just load it already.

Things to try:

- Restart your phone. (Press and hold power button until it restarts)

- Reset your phone. (Will format everything and reinstall. Enable and execute backup before of you have not, so that it restores contacts, etc.)

17 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

What phone may I ask?

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

8 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

What phone may I ask?

640 XL

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

640 XL

I almost got that one instead, but the Continuum was too tempting. :|

It is a nice phone IMO.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

5 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

I almost got that one instead, but the Continuum was too tempting. :|

It is a nice phone IMO.

Yeah except the Snapdragon 400 is a bummer. That and 8GB of internal storage (oh and that 1GB RAM is kinda stupid)

If I had to get a new phone I would get the 950 XL. So much better :( but at the time I didn't have that much mullah and I still don't really.