Windows 10 Mobile Insider Topic

GoodBytes
On 12/11/2017 at 11:04 AM, gabrielcarvfer said:

Their launcher is terrible, just like the SwiftKey keyboard. It's even hard to believe that those things come from MSFT or to believe that they had courage to put their name on those things.

I dont mind the swift key its better, but could be even better. The android one is terrible at least for me. But one thing for sure is I ned a larger screen for my hands which is one reason I like my Lumia 950. Swiftkey does not rotate, this is unfortunate. 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

• 4 weeks later...

Today I am receiving this update....

wp_ss_20180106_0001.thumb.png.59263eee307dbca5ca2b5caeee1a83ec.png

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

4 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Today I am receiving this update....

This is the patches for Meltdown and Spectre flaws. It updates the OS, with all the affected components and Edge

10 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

This is the patches for Meltdown and Spectre flaws. It updates the OS, with all the affected components and Edge

Is it also coming to Public Release today or do we have to wait for a bit?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

18 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Is it also coming to Public Release today or do we have to wait for a bit?

It's out for everyone. I left the Insider, as it's been so long since any builds where released, and that last build was terrible on my Lumia 950 XL.. it was OK for my day to day use, but when I left on a trip and using Maps and Skype extensively... all it did crash left and right, freeze, slow to wake up, screen doesn't turn on, and more... Switch the official build  there, and everything was fine, and usable. I was also hopping that Skype would be better than the crap that was on Insider, but nope, same experience (terrible on desktop too). Shame, Skype UWP started awesome, but now it is garbage. No wonder people are switching to other platform. I mean why does conversations takes ages, why front camera doesn't work on my SP3 and phone, and the phone the image is flipped, and many times it goes "camera is used by another application". Anyway.... I expect MS to kill off Cortana considering how far behind it is from the competition today due to the company molasses speed at doing anything. Not to mention that Google is now selling their speaker home thingy at a mass loss (50$ loss), just to get the device on every home. It was this year hot Christmas item.  Microsoft can never do such move, and even if they did, people would laugh saying how Cortana is so bad that they need to practically give it away. But Google, that is fine. People call it an aggressive strategic move.

• 1 month later...

So it looks like it is the end for Windows 10 Mobile insiders.

While Microsoft haven't officially released anything about the end of the program, it is obvious that it has been a long time since they are any new build, and Microsoft on Twitter no longer consider Windows 10 Mobile Insider.

I'll keep this pinned for maybe until end of March or April, if they are no more builds.

What you may be interested in:

• Microsoft is making big progress on Android and iOS (mostly Android). Microsoft Launcher on Android looks like to be really nice, and is backed with over 10 million downloads. It now has Cortana integration (beta) and more. Microsoft is continuously working hard on it, with new features and improvements.

• MSN News app has recently been updated after ages, and it looks like Microsoft is bringing it back up to the level of the News app in Windows 10 / Windows 10 Mobile.

• Microsoft is pushing with Windows 10 integration with Android (and iOS, but it we know, due to the limitation of iOS it can't be as deep as Android).

• Phone now have equivalent or better cameras than the Lumia 950 / 950 XL. Next generation of phones coming up this year should be quite interesting if you bought a Windows phone for its camera. On premium phones, it should be a good step up.

• Android improvements is getting closer to some of the things that is great on Windows 10 Mobile. So I would make sure that the Android phone you pick has the latest and greatest version of the OS. I don't recall any specifics, but I recall reading and going 'ah great! finally!" on a few items.

I am still on my Lumia 950 XL, but I'll probably switch to an Android phone this year.

For some good news.

Slack has pulled it's Apple Watch app due to the low usage. This means that they were more people using Slack on Windows 10 Mobile than on the Apple Watch :D. Now that says something big right here!

Another remark, I don't think Apple is doing well these days. I mean from their last financials, they saw weaker than expected sales of their iPhone X, and as for the iPhone 8, I don't know what to say... when I was in the US in November and December, on TV, they were super aggressive plans and offers related to the iPhone 8. It looked like carriers where stuck with too many units and try to move them before the iPhone 9 comes out. I think Apple knows this, and this is why are pushing accessories, more expensive phones, and slow down of older phones to try and push sales of newer devices. An article I read a few years ago, apparently very few people on Android switch to iPhones, and that is why Apple did everything they could to try and be able to enter the Chinese market, to try and get those numbers up. But it is difficult for them.

• 2 months later...

So it looks like there is nothing more, beside officially release security updates. So I will unpin it.

Microsoft is also discontinuing Skype for Business (not the normal Skype UWP, that one is still supported being a UWP app. Skype for Business is a Windows Phone 8 app. It used to be called Lync, it is uses a different network). Microsoft says that the app will not be available in the Store anymore, so if you need it, get it now. Last date is May 20th. Microsoft says that the app will continue to work but can't guaranty it anymore. But I would not be concerned, as Skype for Business is already discontinued, and is in transition to be replaced by MS Teams.

MS Teams which was short lived will also be killed on the Windows 10 Mobile, despite being new. That one will no longer work past May 20th, Microsoft says.

Some good news:

- Microsoft added Phone and SMS APIs to Redstone 5 (RS5). This indicate further that Microsoft plans to release a new full Windows 10 phone device at the end of the year. Redstone 5 is the update that is coming up, not this one that is coming up in a few days, but the one that will follow it, with an expected release date in Oct/Nov.

- Some hackers was able to get Windows 10 for ARM from leaks, and rootkit the Lumia 950/950XL. It can't do phone calls as of yet, as the APIs aren't there, like I said it will be added on RS5. So if you are into hacking, there may be hope that your phone can resurrect back, albeit running, probably, slowly.

Source 1 : https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-is-discontinuing-skype-for-business-teams-and-yammer-for-windows-phone

Source 2: https://www.onmsft.com/news/phone-apis-appear-in-latest-windows-10-skip-ahead-builds-as-surface-phone-rumors-persist

-- Thread has been unpinned --