Windows 10 Mobile Insider Topic

GoodBytes

Reminder (don't know how useful it'll be for people in this thread  lol :P)!!

Windows Phone 8.1 is reaching End of Life Status in the Summer!!!!

Make sure to upgrade if you haven't already or acquire a new device to run Windows 10 Mobile.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

New Windows 10 Mobile build

What's fix:

• We fixed an issue from recent flights where the volume control might stop working when listening to music in Groove after an endpoint change (for example plugging in headphones).
  • We’ve improved speech reliability by fixing a bug where Cortana was unexpectedly failing with a connection error.
  • We fixed an issue where multi-turn Cortana speech interactions weren’t working (for example, when creating a reminder in multiple parts, as opposed to doing it in a single sentence).

Known issues:

• We have discovered a bug that causes background tasks to not run in the background like they should such as OneDrive’s camera roll sync feature. Please double check your photos have synced to OneDrive on the latest builds. We’ve got a fix for this issue coming in an upcoming build where background tasks will run again and your camera roll will sync to OneDrive as expected.
  • If your device experiences an unexpected reboot, in some cases you may lose your call, text, and email history may be lost. We’re actively investigating this issue. If you believe you’ve hit this, please up-vote this feedback item In Feedback Hub.
  • There is a bug in this build that can cause a number of inbox apps to fail to launch (such as Store). There is no workaround to reset the Store unfortunately. This issue also prevents you from taking any app updates from the Store if the Store works for you. A workaround for this is to uninstall the app and reinstall the app from the Store. This issue will be fixed in the next build. Speech packs may be unable to download on this build.
  • Some users are reporting that pages are constantly reloading or refreshing, especially while they are in the middle of scrolling them in Microsoft Edge. We’re investigating.

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/03/10/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-15055-pc-mobile/#fxih9MsHGGJ1K70i.97

6 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

<snipity snip snip>

Two builds in a few days for mobile... *squirming*

and people say that WM is dead ... they have no idea.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

Two builds in a few days for mobile... *squirming*

and people say that WM is dead ... they have no idea.

Yea. But I wish Microsoft would put more energy and resources to the Windows 10 Mobile... it's not dead, but the evolution of this OS is moving at snail paste now. I mean, Edge is still not done (no home screen, blank page, no plugin support that was talked about before), Bluetooth barely works (on top of all the issues I mentioned in the past, now I can't hear and the caller can't hear me when I do or receive a phone call), still lacks customization compared to other Android phones on the market (like all these gestures stuff you can do with Android), and lots more...

This is bad news, in my opinion. Why? Because I am thinking of the "Surface Phone" (whatever that will be), I see it as Windows 10 Mobile needs to be ready for such device. It needs to be near perfect. And by that time, people will be familiar with other features that Android has, like side-by-side apps support, so the situation will be worst.

The Lumia 950 / 950 XL are amazing phones, but because it was released with a buggy OS to reviewers, it got trashed. Surface Phone can't have this bad press. It needs to be ready.

52 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

They're finally investigating Edge crashing and phone restarts... 

They started investigating that with 15051. I am glad they are getting focused on it though. :) 

31 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

I don't think that they're putting much effort right now on WP, but on W10 on ARM. 

WP support will be dropped soon. They have stopped imo end of last year.

47 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Yea. But I wish Microsoft would put more energy and resources to the Windows 10 Mobile... it's not dead, but it evolution of the OS is moving at snail paste now.

I mean Edge is still not done (no home screen, blank page, no plugin support that was talked about before), Bluetooth barely works (on top of all the issues I mentioned in the past, now I can't hear and the caller can't hear me when I do or receive a phone call), still lacks customization compared to other Android phones on the market (like all these gestures stuff you can do with Android), and lots more...

This is bad news, in my opinion. Why? Because I am thinking of the "Surface Phone" (whatever that will be), I see it as Windows 10 Mobile needs to be ready for such device. It needs to be near perfect. And by that time, people will be familiar with other features that Android has, like side-by-side apps support, so the situation will be worst.

The Lumia 950 / 950 XL are amazing phones, but because it was released with a buggy OS to reviewers, it got trashed. Surface Phone can't have this bad press. It needs to be ready.

I strongly agree.

I just meant by the 'not dead yet' comment is I get frustrated with seeing articles and hearing people saying its dead and wont be supported for much longer. So bothersome when clearly there is a dedicated team working on the OS.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

They should have started solving those bugs from the start, as they're a pain and are not uncommon even on "stable" builds.

By WP I meant Windows Phone/Mobile (7,8,10). They already baked most phone features into Windows 10, their problem right now is just UI, services, optimization and, of course, third party support. 

Hold up.

Everybody needs to get their definitions in order.

"Windows Phone" refers to releases including Windows Phone in the name such as Windows Phone 8.1 and any release before which bears the name.

"Windows 10 Mobile" refers to the Mobile edition of Windows 10.

Windows 10 ARM is currently an edition of Windows 10 Desktop but running ARM based CPUs instead of x86 or x86-64.

"Windows Phone" as stated above, is dead. Support ends in June or July. 

"Windows 10 Mobile" as a bare minimum is supported until 2018 or 2020 (i can't remember which one).

Windows 10 ARM is going to be the long term replacement for Windows 10 Mobile but it is nowhere near ready yet.

They need to finish Composable Shells, UX and UI as well as making Windows 10 Desktop more thin and lightweight.

And of course, drivers and firmware.

Windows 10 Mobile will live on until Windows 10 ARM is ready. We will have another situation of devices not being eligible to upgrade.

Only 64 Bit SOCs will be able to run Windows 10 ARM. This means that the only possible phones which could be hypothetically upgraded are the Lumia 950 & 950XL, HP Elite X3 and the Alcatel OneTouch Idol 4S.

All other devices will be stuck on Windows 10 Mobile. Surface Phone will run Windows 10 ARM and not Windows 10 Mobile. 

It would be reasonable to expect at least 4GB RAM (Possibly 6GB or 8GB), 64-128GB Storage and a Snapdragon 835 or the successor of that.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

44 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

<snip>

What you said. 

I knew about  WP and WM but not WMARM

Thanks. :) 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning to all! We finally have a new Build: 15063

What's fixed:

• We fixed the bug causing a number of inbox apps to fail to launch (such as Store) and also preventing any app updates from the Store from working. Thank you all for sending us feedback around this.
  • We fixed the bug causing background tasks to not run in the background like they should such as OneDrive’s camera roll sync feature. Background tasks should be working again as expected and your camera roll will sync to OneDrive again.
  • We fixed the issue where in some cases you may lose your call, text, and email history may be lost if your device experiences an unexpected reboot.
  • Speech Packs should download and install normally.
  • We fixed an issue for Insiders with certain cars resulting in connection failures after pairing Bluetooth.
  • We fixed an issue where replacing the default APN for LTE on the phone wouldn’t work.

Known issues:

• Updating from the Windows 10 Anniversary Update (Build 14393) directly to this build won’t work. There will be an extra hop required to get to this build. If you use WDRT to go re-flash your device and join the Fast ring, you will not be offered this build and instead offered Build 15055. Once you’re on Build 15055, your device will find Build 15063 and take the update then.
  • Some users are reporting that pages are constantly reloading or refreshing, especially while they are in the middle of scrolling them in Microsoft Edge. We’re investigating.

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/03/20/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-15063-pc-mobile/#yhI8zHsQu5Vpituw.97

• 2 weeks later...

Groove Music gets a nice update on mobile! It gets all the new features of the desktop version:

• A taste of Project Neo!
  • Subscribe to a playlist
  • Music Video!

It is very nice! You have to give it a go!

Maps received and update as well; you can now do multi-point navigation. 

'Bout time really. 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Maps received and update as well; you can now do multi-point navigation. 

'Bout time really. 

Oh yes! I forgot to mention this. Real cool!

• 2 weeks later...

Another Build fellow Windows Mobile enthusiasts.

Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 15204 for Mobile

Hello Windows Insiders!

We are also releasing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 15204 to Insiders in the Fast ring. As we release new builds from our Development Branch for PC, we will also be doing the same for Windows 10 Mobile just like we have been in the past. However, Windows Insiders will likely notice some minor differences. The biggest difference being that the build number and branch won’t match the builds we will be releasing for PC. This is a result of more work we’re doing to converge code into OneCore – the heart of Windows across PC, tablet, phone, IoT, HoloLens, Xbox and more as we continue to develop new improvements for Windows 10 Mobile and our enterprise customers.

Starting with the Windows 10 Creators Update, these are the Windows 10 Mobile devices we will officially support in the Windows Insider Program going forward:

• HP Elite x3
  • Microsoft Lumia 550
  • Microsoft Lumia 640/640XL
  • Microsoft Lumia 650
  • Microsoft Lumia 950/950 XL
  • Alcatel IDOL 4S
  • Alcatel OneTouch Fierce XL
  • SoftBank 503LV
  • VAIO Phone Biz
  • MouseComputer MADOSMA Q601
  • Trinity NuAns NEO

Devices not on this list will not officially receive the Windows 10 Creators Update nor will they receive any future builds from our Development Branch that we release as part of the Windows Insider Program. However, Windows Insiders who have devices not on this list can still keep these devices on the Windows 10 Creators Update at their own risk knowing that it’s unsupported.

We recognize that many Insiders will be disappointed to see their device is no longer supported. We looked at feedback from our Windows Insiders and realized that we were not providing the best possible experience for our customers on many older devices. That helped us determine which devices we support for the Windows 10 Creators Update. We are continually listening to your feedback to provide the best experience for ALL of our customers.

For developers – you will need to set the minimum platform version in Visual Studio to be the Windows 10 Creators Update.

Changes, improvements, and fixes for Mobile

• We have added a new privacy page to the Windows 10 Mobile OOBE experience that allows you to quickly and effectively make common privacy changes while setting up the device. You can read more about our Windows 10 privacy journey here.
  • We fixed the issue where the keyboard would sometimes not appear when a text input field is selected in Microsoft Edge.

Known issues for Mobile

• FYI: If you receive error 800b0109 while attempting to download this build, navigate to Settings > Update & security > Windows Insider Program and check for a restart message – please restart your device from there and then check for updates again and should be able to download the build as expected. 
  • For Insiders who have upgraded from a prior 150xx build to this build, the “Add Bluetooth or other devices” Settings page and the Connect UX page may fail to open.
  • There is an issue with Microsoft Edge where you might get into a bad state after opening a new Microsoft Edge windows and screen off with the JIT process suspended.
  • Continuum will stop working when HP Elite X3 case is closed.
  • Continuum hangs or renders incorrectly after disconnecting on devices like the Lumia 950.
  • The device screen might stay black when disconnecting from a Continuum dock after screen has timed out normally.

Happy Easter to those of you who are celebrating, have a great weekend ALL of you, and keep hustling team,
Dona <3

Cant wait to get to it. ;) 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

6 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Another Build fellow Windows Mobile enthusiasts.

Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 15204 for Mobile

Cant wait to get to it. ;) 

Is this gonna be for Redstone 2 or Redstone 3?

10 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Is this gonna be for Redstone 2 or Redstone 3?

I would hazard a guess of 2.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just now, SansVarnic said:

I would hazard a guess of 2.

Rip Build numbers then...... Cos PC has 15063 for Creators Update.

If I had a spare phone lying around then I'd download 15204

It is Redstone 3, without the updated OneCore.

Like when Anniversary Update was in the work, Once one CoreCore will be done, it will put into Mobile, and the build number will match again.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

It is Redstone 3, without the updated OneCore.

Like when Anniversary Update was in the work, Once one CoreCore will be done, it will put into Mobile, and the build number will match again.

Oh... So in that case then why hasn't RS2 for Mobile been released yet?

29 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Oh... So in that case then why hasn't RS2 for Mobile been released yet?

MS said that they want to focus on Windows 10 PC first, to make sure that it has a smooth as possible release.

Then they'll attack Mobile, and the other systems.

My guess, is that we will need to wait for after May 1st, where Creators Update for Enterprise will be released.

New Build

Hello Windows Insiders!

Today we are excited to be releasing  Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 15205 to Insiders in the Fast ring.

• We fixed the targeting issue that caused some variants of the Alcatel IDOL 4S to not receive Build 15204 last week. All variants of the Alcatel IDOL 4S should receive Build 15205.
  • FYI: We fixed the issue where supported Windows 10 Mobile devices were showing the update to the Windows 10 Anniversary Update as “not yet available” in the Upgrade Advisor app.
  • We fixed an issue where Continuum would stop working when HP Elite X3 case is closed.
  • We fixed an issue where Continuum would hang or render incorrectly after disconnecting on devices like the Lumia 950.
  • We fixed an issue with Microsoft Edge where you might get into a bad state after opening a new Microsoft Edge windows and screen off with the JIT process suspended.
  • We fixed an issue with where the device screen might stay black when disconnecting from a Continuum dock after screen has timed out normally.
  • We fixed an issue with backup and restore which impacts users with slower network connection.
  • We fixed an issue around Microsoft Edge reliability.

Known issues for Mobile

• A small percentage of devices may experience text message backup loss related to backup and recovery of the messaging database.
  • For Insiders who have upgraded from a prior 150xx build to this build, the “Add Bluetooth or other devices” Settings page and the Connect UX page may fail to open.
  • The copyright date is incorrect under Settings > System > About. It shows as 2016 when it should be 2017. Thanks to the Windows Insiders that reported this!
  • Insiders may experience random shutdowns on some devices.

Finally some fixes with Continuum I have been having personally the last few builds ... 

Other bug fixes. :) 

*edit

Community Updates

Many of you have been asking for our team to share more about our future plans about the overall Windows Insider community. We want to be inclusive of all consumption styles, so we thought we would experiment with an audio podcast. Check out episode 1!

I don't why I did not add this but here ... this would be cool to listen to.

Edited by SansVarnic

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

New build was released for Mobile! With 1 new exciting new feature!!! OH YEA!!!

Remarkable work! Super exciting! Revolutionary! Puts Segas Blast Processing to shame!

yea.. its shit....

Windows 10 Creators update privacy panel on OOBE.. that is all. No bug fixes or anything.

Enjoy! I guess.

On 4/24/2017 at 7:11 PM, GoodBytes said:

New build was released for Mobile! With 1 new exciting new feature!!! OH YEA!!!

Remarkable work! Super exciting! Revolutionary! Puts Segas Blast Processing to shame!

yea.. its shit....

Windows 10 Creators update privacy panel on OOBE.. that is all. No bug fixes or anything.

Enjoy! I guess.

I guess there was one thing in it, they fixed the crashing that was apparent from the last build. I experienced it once or twice myself so far nothing since this build.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I forgot to mention. Windows 10 Mobile got a new Build. Build 15208

Nothing new, but this is what is fixed:

• We’ve fixed the issue where some Insiders were unable to open both the Connect UX page and/or the “Add Bluetooth or other devices” setting on the Bluetooth Settings page.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in an unexpected extra ~20 sec being added to the phone shutdown process due to a deadlock if you tried to shut down soon after switching from one network to another.

Known issues:

• A small percentage of devices may experience text message backup loss related to backup and recovery of the messaging database.
  • The copyright date is incorrect under Settings > System > About. It shows as 2016 when it should be 2017. Thanks to the Windows Insiders that reported this!
  • Insiders may experience random shutdowns on some devices.
  • In some cases, the WeChat app may crash on launch.

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/04/28/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-16184-pc-build-15208-mobile/#uglDP3X5IqzX4AWA.97

You should also have noticed that now more apps on Windows 10 Mobile, like on the desktop, are being updated to Project NEON new look.

Maps, Groove music have been updated to all. It is nice to see that despite the slow work being done on Windows 10 Mobile, to the possible cancellation of the OS, that the apps are actively being updated, and Mobile is still very well being considered and taken seriously.

I've inquired further about the build numbers not matching. Hopefully I'll get a response.

• 2 weeks later...

New Build 15213!

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/05/11/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-16193-pc-build-15213-mobile/#lJeZ5hwMxFoYDvUc.97

Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 15213 for Mobile

Upcoming Bug Bash

We know Windows Insiders love participating in Bug Bashes. So we’re really excited to do our very first Bug Bash for the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update! The Bug Bash will start at 12am (Pacific Time) on Monday May 15th and will run a full week ending at 11:59 pm (Pacific Time) on Sunday May 21st. We’re also planning to do two Beam webcasts on Thursday May 18th – one in the morning, and another in the evening – to reach many of our global Insiders! Look for specific timing from us early next week on these webcasts so you can attend! We’ll also publish some new quests as usual for this bug bash as well. So be sure to open Feedback Hub and complete as many quests as you can!

• We fixed an issue where the Battery Settings page caused the device to become unresponsive and appear to have hung.
  • We fixed a general issue where certain background tasks were being incorrectly starved under resource contention. This issue would impact music and video playback.
  • Under low memory conditions, additional app launches will cause the OS to run out-of-memory and the device will restart unexpectedly to recover. This fix detects the condition and blocks app launches until memory is freed up.
  • We fixed an issue with Microsoft Edge which prevented the phone from entering Connected Standby which caused battery drain.
  • We fixed an issue where the word auto-correction service would crash.
  • We fixed 2 issues causing the device screen to stay off when unplugging from the Continuum dock after screen has timed out normally requiring the device to be rebooted to recover.
  • We fixed an issue with the Notifications Settings page which made the UI appear unresponsive.
  • We fixed an Enterprise MDM issue where the policy could hide all pages except the Work Access page.

Known issues for Mobile

• In some cases, the WeChat app may crash on launch.

Windows Server joining the Windows Insider Program

Yesterday at Build, we announced that Windows Server is joining the Windows Insider Program! Starting this summer, we will begin to post early builds of the new Windows Server features, including container-optimized Nano Server images to the Docker Hub, support for Linux containers, Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL), better orchestration support and SMB storage for containers. Sign up now, get familiar with the site, and watch the Windows Server blog and the Windows Insider forums for the notice when the preview is available. For more information – see this blog post.

Community Updates

We know how much Windows Insiders love Ninjacat backgrounds. So we’ve put out a brand new one for everyone to check out to celebrate our amazing community. Download it here!

Ninjacat riding a tiger

A lot of you have been asking “What is the secret mission we left Paul O’Malley and his co-workers at the Sydney Microsoft store with?” Simple…the Windows Insiders team wants to make YOU famous! Starting right now, we have all of our retail store friends on the lookout for people who are doing cool things with tech and would like to partner closer with us. This involves things like people who help others with tech (SO many of our Insiders help their schools, neighborhoods, forums, and companies with tech decisions and problems), people who do cool Surface art on the devices in the stores, people who are teaching interesting classes, in general…people who really stand out as creative leaders in these communities.

We want to get to know you better so we’ve asked the retail folks that IF you’re comfortable with it, please send us your contact info. We want to feature you in our blogs, pull you on stage with us at conferences and showcase you for what you are – tech heroes!

If there is a Microsoft Store near you, go on in and make friends with our retail friends. Tell them we sent you. We can’t wait to get to know you better.

Keep hustling team,
Dona <3

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

New Build for Windows 10 Mobile. Build 15215

• We fixed an issue where the Call audio did not move to speaker after removing the headset on some phones.
  • We have improved power and performance for apps, such as Fitbit, for pair, connect, sync and notifications.
  • We fixed an issue where notifications would not be mirrored to the user’s PC and Cortana’s cross-device settings would not persist.

Read more: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/05/17/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-16199-pc-build-15215-mobile/#M7iR3ysqM8iLq8rK.97