Windows 10 Mobile Insider Topic

GoodBytes

Welcome to the Windows 10 Mobile Tester corner.

The purpose of this thread is to

• Talk about new insider build of Windows 10 Mobile
  • Talk about anything Windows 10 Mobile.

Basically, a nice place to discuss any Windows 10 Mobile related topics, and post news not really "Tech News" section worthy.

So, new Windows 10 Mobile build for the Fast Ring was released yesterday. This is the first Redstone build. Build 14267.

It is only currently available for the Lumia 950, 950 XL, 550, 650, and Xiaomi Mi4.

You can now finally send pictures with the Messaging + Skype app. Cortana can now listen to music and identify it, like Shazam, you can now easily access private mode in Edge, and you have wordflow now working in Edge.

WInBeta has a nice video showing what is new:

Not mentioned anywhere, however, is that Edge got a nice upgrade! on the back end side, finally!. Now this forum, based, so far, on my testing with the Lumia 950 XL, doesn't crash / reload the page when you use the Enter key when you type a post! W00t!

I noticed that you can no longer set a picture in the glace screen (not that you would in any case, as you have very limited colors or monochrome, and consumes more battery).

As for battery life, I don't know yet.

Funny, Saturday evening I took the plunge and bought my new Lumia 950 XL. xD So its seems timing was good for this.......lol.

After testing the Windows Mobile 10 on my Nokia Lumia 925 for the last 2 months I have been impressed by the work being done so far.

On my 925 the OS did improve battery life which is was good for me, I noticed about a 10-15% increase in efficiency and phone did not as bad as an overheating issue as it did with WP8.1 but that was mostly with age and hard use than the OS itself. I did notice that the phone is slower in performance in some aspects such as start up and login but with opening apps and in app there was an increased performance. As for stability I have not noticed any drastic unstable instances while using the preview on this phone. As a matter of note it appears to be a bit more stable on the 925 than the 950 in aspects that have used thus far. But since I am still getting to know the 950 I cant say for certain about this.

As for the 950 XL so far the battery life has been good for me, hard use on Sunday lasted me 12+ hours before I felt like I should re-charging it. I believe it had 15% left when I plugged it in. By hard use I mean time spent personalizing, playing games and watching some videos. After a recharge that took about shy of an hour I projected a 40 min video to my TV and it left the battery at about 55%. I hope to give a better assessment of the battery life after more time passes.

The phone itself is very light especially with the battery taken out, weights almost nothing, if i had to guess the battery is almost 80-85% of the phone's weight.

I am still investigating the newer aspects of the OS so I cant comment to much there just yet, I have noticed that the OS does have different available options between the phones (obviously with different specs). I have noticed some instability but they are inconsistent and I am not surprised with the OS still in beta phase and they are still working on bugs and errors so the instabilities with each build seem to stabilize. To name a few instabilities; I have noticed is a few times while changing options the setting will close out spontaneously. When opening an app on first use it will close but this does not happen every time though but randomly and has happened 2-3 time so far.  

The weekly build releases are encouraging. ;)

So far most of the core apps have been pretty solid when used, but time will tell when I get more time with it.

I will post more when I have had more time with my new phone. I may post again about the build on my 925 if anyone is interested.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

43 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

<snip>

Congrats on your new phone. I think you've just missed the free Display Dock offer through the Lumia offer app. But do check for the free 1 year Office 365 subscription if it's still there.

Funny enough, I too upgraded from the 925 to 950XL. Just received the Display dock the other day and I wanted to test Continuum more with it but I'm kinda busy atm. But my first impression from a quick test wasn't that great tbh. I probably need to get a keyboard and mouse combo to test it properly.

I really wish they would allow for a longer shutter speed in the stock camera app. The camera is amazing for night shots. 

The 10586.107 build is pretty damn stable for 925. But there is still no option for the glance screen so battery life will take a hit for a bit. 

I wonder if using larger display scale will use less system resource and possibly getting longer battery life. 

Downloading the Build 14267 as I'm writing this. 

1 minute ago, atrash said:

Congrats on your new phone. I think you've just missed the free Display Dock offer through the Lumia offer app. But do check for the free 1 year Office 365 subscription if it's still there.

Funny enough, I too upgraded from the 925 to 950XL. Just received the Display dock the other day and I wanted to test Continuum more with it but I'm kinda busy atm. But my first impression from a quick test wasn't that great tbh. I probably need to get a keyboard and mouse combo to test it properly.

I really wish they would allow for a longer shutter speed in the stock camera app. The camera is amazing for night shots. 

The 10586.107 build is pretty damn stable for 925. But there is still no option for the glance screen so battery life will take a hit for a bit. 

I wonder if using larger display scale will use less system resource and possibly getting longer battery life. 

Downloading the Build 14267 as I'm writing this. 

The $50 certificate is still there but for some reason I cant claim as I need to have a recommendation to buy the phone to claim so I need a recommenders email to claim it. :(

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

The $50 certificate is still there but for some reason I cant claim as I need to have a recommendation to buy the phone to claim so I need a recommenders email to claim it. :(

That's too bad. You could try calling the Microsoft Support about it. Who knows you might get lucky and get some other free stuffs from them. 

New build of Windows 10 Mobile is out.

Needed several reboots to get the WiFi working.. and now it works. i am on the Lumia 950 XL.

I also noticed that it froze on me at the glance screen. But so far it doesn't happen since the WiFi problem solved itself.

Oh I discovered 2 improvements in Edge. When you switch tabs it is now faster, and when you pick a tab, it doesn't reload the page. ☺

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Oh I discovered 2 improvements in Edge. When you switch tabs it is now faster, and when you pick a tab, it doesn't reload the page. ☺

it still reloads some pages when I switch to it. But it's kinda random and certainly not because I have multiple tabs one opened. The page loading is noticeably faster like damn... :D

Also the InPrivate logo/text is not displaying properly, like it has unsupported characters.

Edit: Can you also confirm the bug when you try to add/place live tiles into a folder but you can't change the name of the folder. Try putting the tiles in and out and see if the issue appears. I haven't tested that many tiles because the phone is freshly restored and has little apps installed.

Edited by atrash
Added info

New firmware released for Lumia 950 / 950 XL, Lumia 830, and LG Lancet.

This firmware update is for some market, no details on which market it is, but I got it (Canada) .

This is the firmware that was previously released to select regions in Europe.

The firmware features:

• Stability fixes
  • Improvements for GPS reliability
  • Improvements for call audio quality

You need to switch to the Production Build to get it (you can switch back to Insider Fast ring after).

Been trying out the Windows Hello (beta) function. I can say that after a couple of days of getting used to it, it is pretty nice and handy especially if I am wearing gloves.

I have not run into any issue thus far. The set up is pretty easy and as long as you are with in reasonable distance and alignment the system works pretty well, just don't be wearing glasses.

That's all I have for now.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

4 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Been trying out the Windows Hello (beta) function. I can say that after a couple of days of getting used to it, it is pretty nice and handy especially if I am wearing gloves.

I have not run into any issue thus far. The set up is pretty easy and as long as you are with in reasonable distance and alignment the system works pretty well, just don't be wearing glasses.

That's all I have for now.

You can actually wear glasses, Just do the set up again while wearing them. My glasses has photochromic lenses and Windows Hello still works even when the lenses turned as darkest as it can.

Oh sorry I meant sun glasses. xD

I don't wear glasses, at least not anymore. 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just now, SansVarnic said:

Oh sorry I meant sun glasses. xD

I don't wear glasses, at least not anymore. 

Yeah kinda true. But I have two different sunglasses, one is the normal dark tint sunglasses which is as dark as my photochromic glasses btw and another one is the silver mirror finished aviator . It works fine for the former under normal to low light but not the latter. As long as the lenses are not highly reflective, Windows Hello should work, I think.. 

2 minutes ago, atrash said:

Yeah kinda true. But I have two different sunglasses, one is the normal dark tint sunglasses which is as dark as my photochromic glasses btw and another one is the silver mirror finished aviator . It works fine for the former under normal to low light but not the latter. As long as the lenses are not highly reflective, Windows Hello should work, I think.. 

My old glasses were not photchromatic but I could find them and try them out, experimentally of course. 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10586.122

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/03/02/announcing-windows-10-mobile-insider-preview-build-10586-122/

Improved Kanji input experience while using Continuum.

Improved the speed in which thumbnails appear for portrait videos.

Improved Internet Sharing on select mobile network configurations.

Fixed an issue in Microsoft Edge that prevented Word Flow input on some sites.

Fixed an issue that previously prevented the option to “Close all Tabs” in Microsoft Edge from closing all open tabs.

Improved IMS registration on select mobile network configurations.

Fixed an issue where adding your MSA during OOBE would fail and prevent the account from being re-added after the failure.

Improved the email sync experiences when connecting to Wi-Fi networks with a captive portal.

Improved data connection profiles for dual SIM devices.

Updated background processing of multiple changes to improve battery life of devices.

Improved quality of video record to SD memory cards.

Improved video recording audio in some cases.

Improved overall OS reliability, including reliability of the Start screen, app updates, and the Windows Feedback app

Improved Alarm reliability.

Looking good. xD

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just for clarification, as I got confused for a moment.

That is for the Slow and Release Preview ring. Fast ring are at 14267.1004

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Just for clarification, as I got confused for a moment.

That is for the Slow and Release Preview ring. Fast ring are at 14267.1004

Yeah I think so, I get confused with the numbers sometimes, My 925 is on fast ring my 950 is on slow ring.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

17 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Yeah I think so, I get confused with the numbers sometimes, My 925 is on fast ring my 950 is on slow ring.

Your 925 actually can't get the latest updates on the fast ring. Microsoft changed the system.

There are 3 different rings for insiders. Insider Fast, Insider Slow, Insider Release Preview.

Insider Fast is ONLY for the newest phones that have been released. The 950, 950xl, 650 and 550. The fast ring now is like ludicrous speed (space balls anyone?). Supplies the latest builds and supplies the newest bugs or newest bug patches and features.

Insider Slow is what the Insider Fast ring use to be. It is for all the other phones that can participate in the Insider program. It is able to get the most recent builds available for the mass amount of phones.

Inside Release Preview is what the slow ring use to be. Only for those who want to get build a bit early yet only want builds that are safe and have little bugs.

So, basically I am telling you to put your 925 on the slow ring to get the most recent updates for that phone(there was an update recently for Insider Slow as well. 10586.122). If you want the newest update that was just released for your 950 then you have to put your 950 in the fast ring.

On 2/20/2016 at 9:22 AM, GoodBytes said:

Cortana can now listen to music and identify it, like Shazam

Zach from WinBeta got this part wrong in a way. Cortana has been able to listen to music and identify the song in W10M since the start. In W10M though, Cortana has two different modes, the typing/show what's in your feed and the listening to speech mode, and it was only in the listening mode that the music button would show up. So, what you would have to do is hold down the search button, Cortana would pop up and listen to you and then after a second the music button would appear in the top right.

Now, the music button shows up every time not matter what you are doing with Cortana. The reason being obviously is that people didn't know the button/feature was even still there.

@GoodBytesI forgot to mention that the music feature is also in Windows 10 for pc in Cortana as well. Worked the same has it did on Windows 10 mobile. If you just click on the search bar only your interests pull up. Click the microphone, wait a second and the button to listen to music appears.

In the new insider update to pc the music button changed to always show up in Cortana just like in mobile.

7 hours ago, TheCMan said:

<snip>

Yeah I probably should but I don't really want my 950xl on the fast ring. I have actually stopped looking at my 925 for almost 2 weeks now so when I posted the info it was after I read the blog post. I had not even looked at my phone yet. . . .

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

You guys are going to like this, ICQ has arrived to Win10 Mobile

http://mspoweruser.com/new-icq-windows-available-download/

Yup, good old ICQ amongst all. :)

I don't even know what it is...........

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),