Laptop battery help

Go to solution Solved by Roawoao,

Hmm it seems like the answer is depends. Try removing the battery when the laptop is completely off and then use the AC adapter and see if it will turn on. If it will not turn on then you need the battery to be installed for it to work. If it does work you should be fine. Some Toshiba laptops may be using the battery pack as a sort of buffer for peak loads and will need it no matter what. Not entirely sure without the specific model number.

A battery error light (blinking battery low light) is normal when the battery is removed. Also suspending requires power so don't remove the AC cord if the laptop is asleep. Hibernation is considered a full power off state however.

My battery has been slowly becoming worse and worse. It use to last for hours, but now it barely lasts 20 minutes. I decided to take out the battery and use it like a desktop. Would this cause any harm to the laptop or it's charger? 

I'm worried the charger would get hot or something. 

I'm most likely going to buy a new battery very soon. 

Thank you to those who post advice or answers to this question.

It's perfectly fine to use your laptop like that. There should be no harm inflicted on the laptop or the charger.

Just don't unplug it while it's on :P

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

2 minutes ago, failblox said:

It's perfectly fine to use your laptop like that. There should be no harm inflicted on the laptop or the charger.

Just don't unplug it while it's on :P

Thank you, and I'll try not to! 

It should not harm the laptop provided you using an official AC adapter that came with the laptop and it meets the power rating of the laptop. Check with your laptop's user guide to be 100% certain. If it doesn't say anything it should be fine.

Some laptops like Lenovo support using undersized AC adapters but will warn you that the AC adapter is not the right wattage. (This is only really a problem if you have a bunch of different wattage adapters with the same ends).

The worst thing that could happen is that your laptop just shuts off if you exceed the power draw of the AC adapter only a substandard OEM would require the battery to be installed to undersize the AC adapter.

Be careful with the removed battery as they are fragile volatile items and can catch fire easily if damaged (water/physical/heat) so don't store it forever and forget it (I did that with some old PSP battery once and found years later that there was a little chared crater in a box, super lucky). You should recycle at a battery recycler/drop off that accepts old laptop batteries.

3 minutes ago, Roawoao said:

It should not harm the laptop provided you using an official AC adapter that came with the laptop and it meets the power rating of the laptop. Check with your laptop's user guide to be 100% certain. If it doesn't say anything it should be fine.

Some laptops like Lenovo support using undersized AC adapters but will warn you that the AC adapter is not the right wattage. (This is only really a problem if you have a bunch of different wattage adapters with the same ends).

It's an AC adapter, and it came with the laptop. Unsure about if it meets the power rating, but I'll try to find the guide. 

2 minutes ago, GBELILREESE said:

It's an AC adapter, and it came with the laptop. Unsure about if it meets the power rating, but I'll try to find the guide. 

Whatever the OEM says obviously takes precedence over generalized advise but barring any dire warnings in there it should be fine with the original adapter. For lenovo thinkpad laptops I can tell you with certainty that they are all fine with the battery removed and run directly off the AC adapter.

2 minutes ago, Roawoao said:

Whatever the OEM says obviously takes precedence over generalized advise but barring any dire warnings in there it should be fine. For lenovo thinkpad laptops I can tell you with certainty that they are all fine with the battery removed and run directly off the AC adapter.

I'm using a Toshiba laptop. 

Hmm it seems like the answer is depends. Try removing the battery when the laptop is completely off and then use the AC adapter and see if it will turn on. If it will not turn on then you need the battery to be installed for it to work. If it does work you should be fine. Some Toshiba laptops may be using the battery pack as a sort of buffer for peak loads and will need it no matter what. Not entirely sure without the specific model number.

A battery error light (blinking battery low light) is normal when the battery is removed. Also suspending requires power so don't remove the AC cord if the laptop is asleep. Hibernation is considered a full power off state however.

On 2/20/2016 at 2:39 AM, Roawoao said:

It seems to work fine, thank you everyone!