LS3 - The 6.2L Mini ITX Gaming Machine

Banner v2.png

Current Stage:

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

Here's an edit :):

If you're new to this build log, I've made a quite few changes from the original design, and the information below is somewhat irrelevant to the current stage of the build. However, I spent a lot of time typing it up so I'd like to keep it there just for some context on how this build developed as time went on. Feel free to read, or not. Anyway, this build is based in a super tiny 6.2L chassis, that partly originates from my old Silverstone SG05. If you're a car guy at all and know what a certain (quite popular) 6.2L V8 engine is, then you'll know why I named this PC after it (and if you still can't tell, it's named after the LS3 6.2L V8 engine). And another note, some progress updates may say 5.5L instead of 6.2L, and that is due partly to my laziness to change it and due to it originally being 5.5L in size. Besides that, there's not much else. I hope you enjoy the build log as much as I do, thanks for taking a look.

Slightly outdated information, but read if you want to:

Hello everyone and welcome!

I've been teasing for a while now that I will be building a 5.5L, completely hand made, mini ITX chassis that still packs a punch in terms of hardware, and the time has finally come.

You may be asking yourself, "What's the big deal? People build their own chassis all the time!" Well I'm here to tell you, as the SFF guy here on LTT, that not only am I scratch building my own case (and doing it without the aid of machinery) but I am also setting, what I believe, is a new standard in Small Form Factor computing. Your average 'SFF' case on the market comes to a total internal volume of anywhere from 9-16L, while some go even as far to be 7.25L like the Dan Case A4, but this custom chassis allows for a total internal volume of just under 5.5L, 5.48L to be exact. To accomplish this feat, I had to use a very specific set of hardware, and the case will only accept a slightly broader range of components that are similar, which can be considered a downside if not for cards like the R9 Nano and boards like the X99E-ITX from AsRock.

Anyway, onto the build. First the first update or two I won't actually begin construction of the case just yet, as I am missing a print out of the template (that's also a single sheet as to make the cutting process clean and simple) and I cannot begin cutting the sheet metal without it. In the mean time, I will discuss my design philosophy, component choice and future plans.

Design:

The overall idea of this chassis was not only to use small components that take advantage of the space saving measures that component manufacturers have put in place, but also to make these components as space efficient and as compact as possible, without wasting any space. In fact, any space left is very much needed for cable management, making use of every cubic centimeter.

To achieve this, I kept the components in the best place, based on their size and shape. Things like the PSU sit above the GPU to take up otherwise empty space, and things like necessary additional length for the PCI-E power connector allow for things like a 120mm fan, and so on. I kept a basic idea of what I wanted in my head, and slowly revised it and refined it until it becomes a workable project.

Starting out with the frame, I decided to keep it simple, and make the entire frame (or at least most of it) from a single sheet of zinc-plated 22 gauge steel. After careful measurements and painstakingly slow trial and error, I came up with what appears to be a working chassis layout, so I can simply lay it on the steel and cut away, then bend it up into it's shape. Here is a screenshot of the work I've done on the frame:

Frame Template Rev4.jpg

And once folded up it should come out looking similar to this, with the rest of the sides being held in place by extruded aluminum cross members (keep in mind that this drawing is an early revision of the chassis and it may be a bit different than the template I showed above):

001 Copy.jpg

And although I do not yet have a finalized version of the exterior panels, I have this concept in mind (which you are more than welcome to improve upon if you have an idea that looks good). It uses thick anodized aluminum panels and a nice high quality gloss black wire mesh to give it an industrial but classy look:

Exterior Concept.jpg

And that's about it for design right now, I will of course be improving things as the build moves forward, but other than that, I think it's time for component choice.

Components:

This rig will actually be using all of the parts (plus a couple of new ones) from my current build, which is in a Silverstone SG13B-Q. That includes the following:

Intel Core i3-4170 3.7GHz Dual Core Processor

AsRock B85M-ITX Mini ITX Motherboard

AData Premier 16GB DDR3-1600MHz (2x8GB) Memory

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive

Sapphire Radeon R9 380 2GB ITX Compact Graphics Card

Silverstone ST45SF 450W SFX 80+ Bronze Power Supply

Cooler Master Blade Master 120mm PWM Fan

For a detailed list as well as places to purchase these, you can take a look at my PCPartPicker list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Nr2C3C

Future upgrades are as following:

Xeon E3-1231v3

Noctua NH-L9i -or- Silverstone AR06

Custom RAM Heatsinks

Sapphire Radeon R9 Nano -or- AMD's Upcoming Flagship Polaris Card

Scythe Gentle Typhoon

And what's a component list without some sexy photos?

DSC_1130.jpg

DSC_1132.jpg

DSC_1133.jpg

DSC_1135.jpg

Alright! Well that's it for now, the build process of the chassis should be starting within a few days as I finalize any templates and get everything printed and ready to go. I hope you all enjoy the build log as much as I am going to, and please feel free to follow this build log if you'd like updates on the progress of this insane chassis. More updates to come!

Thanks, @byalexandr

Also, feel free to come up with a name for this cool little build, all my creativity went into creating the chassis so I'm out of ideas xD

I already told you the name lol.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

Just now, arnavvr said:

I already told you the name lol.

Well I'm probably gonna get tired of explaining every time someone asks xD

Something short and simple.

Just now, byalexandr said:

Well I'm probably gonna get tired of explaining every time someone asks xD

Something short and simple.

The Smaller than SFF build?

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

I can't wait.

I used to be quite active here.

how about naming it: David? like david and goliath? its tiny and packs a punch, well it will after you upgrade it, this isnt bad but still

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, arnavvr said:

The Smaller than SFF build?

lol, I'll keep that one in mind xD

Maybe I can name it after a short person that's famous.

Just now, byalexandr said:

lol, I'll keep that one in mind xD

Maybe I can name it after a short person that's famous.

Donald Trump.

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

how about naming it: David? like david and goliath? its tiny and packs a punch, well it will after you upgrade it, this isnt bad but still

Oh I like that one.

For it's size I think it's still pretty powerful.

3 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Name it potato

Creative!

1 minute ago, experiencednoob said:

Name it "Little Rookie"

I don't know, I'm kind of liking 'David' :D

Just now, Kobathor said:

Name it Peter Dinklage

lmao

Just now, arnavvr said:

Donald Trump.

I don't think he's that short is he?

1 minute ago, byalexandr said:

lmao

I don't think he's that short is he?

He is also a complete utter c**t !!!!!!! And a huge waste of space unlike this build :P 

Edited by A Guy Eating Cereal
The puns are real :)

If you want a reply PLEASE QUOTE ME!

WE NEED CUSTOM MEMBER TITLES AGAIN!!!!!

Member title post link!

3 minutes ago, A Guy Eating Cereal said:

He is also a complete utter c**t !!!!!!! And a huge waste of space unlike this build :P 

Just now, mikat said:

or racist, that's shorter and means the same :)

Alright let's keep it on topic please. :)

1 minute ago, byalexandr said:

Alright let's keep it on topic please. :)

But Nice Case design! Looks really good :) How are you going to cut the aluminium (Pronounced the British way :P )

Member title post link!

8 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Oh I like that one.

For it's size I think it's still pretty powerful.

Creative!

I don't know, I'm kind of liking 'David' :D

i feel like i did something good here :)

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 minutes ago, A Guy Eating Cereal said:

But Nice Case design! Looks really good :) How are you going to cut the aluminium (Pronounced the British way :P )

Aluminium and Aluminum are spelt differently, therefore different words, therefore no one pronounces alumin(i)um wrong. <-- My flawed logic at work.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

Aluminium and Aluminum are spelt differently, therefore different words, therefore no one pronounces alumin(i)um wrong. <-- My flawed logic at work.

Aha, shame I only know the one way to spell it :D 

Member title post link!

I really like the led strip together with the mesh upfront. Good job on designing this case, and gl making it!^_^

I5 4460 | Sapphire RX480 Nitro | MSI H81M-E34 | 8 GB | Fractal Design Core 2500 | Silverstone SST-ST50F-PB | Monitor 27-inch EW2750 | Roccat SKELTR+ (giveaway from linus)

My six year old (second rig):

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 | GPU: 1024MB NVIDIA GT 730 under-powered gigabyte GeForce 9800 GT (Gigabyte OP Silent cell stuff) | 4GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz | MOBO: Intel DP43TF |