Consider make my own server for a small forum?

DeskGaming

I want to make a little forum like this for my gaming community but i see that i have no other way of making a good one without hosting my own , my budget is duying and i see no other way of making the forum than hosting it. shall i consider it as a good solution or i will go to host from compaines?

im pretty sure there are some free webspace hosts with sql support and enough traffic for a small group of people. other than that you want some protection for your ip if youre hosting it yourself.

IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY TO YOU, QUOTE MY POST.

Fire Strike Score

5820K @ 4.8GHZ - 1.25v / Uncore @ 4.5GHZ - 1.2v / 3000MHZ G.skill 32GB Quad Channel / Asus Rampage V Extreme / 950 Pro Nvme / Sound Blaster ZxR  / 980 TI / Windows 7

Yea , but the small group of people is around 50k people

52 minutes ago, DeskGaming said:

I want to make a little forum like this for my gaming community but i see that i have no other way of making a good one without hosting my own , my budget is duying and i see no other way of making the forum than hosting it. shall i consider it as a good solution or i will go to host from compaines?

I would let a company host it. It's a lot of headache to set up (Not to mention you need a static IP or a domain name registar with dynamic DNS support).

I myself have a web hosting company, Surpass Hosting, and I have three websites out of 10 free at the moment. I definitely prefer letting them deal with the issues (Not to mention they have cPanel, which is really nice)

Hosting a gaming forum of 50k users at home is a bad idea unless you want to see how your router deals with constant attacks. I host a forum with about 20k users with my company and we see hundreds of attacks per hour. We used to host a forum for WoW players, but the DDOS attacks were so large (minimum 10Gbps 24x7 for 3 months straight) our data center made us drop them.

-KuJoe

What's your monthly budget?

For that many users, a home internet connection is going to be a problem (assuming your ISP even allows for this, many in the US do not).

A cloud VPS might possibly be a better option. My current host has 2GB ram, 2 CoreProcessor, 40GB SSD, 3TBTransfer for $20/mo, with cheaper options down to $5/mo (which is what I use).

Me and a friend ran (technically still do, but admin has been pass on) a forum that, at the time, had 5k active users. Our hosting costs were around $600+/mo back then, now its pocket change. Cost of hosting has plummeted.