Drivers related question

Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,

You would get issues with laptop drivers too. Windows doesn't really like it when you try to switch around with systems. Save some money and buy another SSD. Or use that laptop SSD for games only on your home PC.

Hi Everyone,

I just had a question about whether drivers would clash.

Here's some context: I have moved my pc parts from my dormitory back home and from that desktop pc, I had a Samsung 850 PRO ssd running in it. That being said, drivers were installed for that PC specifically. 

Here's what I want to do: Since I'm not exactly done school yet, I would like to take that SSD and throw it into my laptop. Seeing that there won't be any laptop drivers, naturally I would install laptop drivers. 

Here's what's wrong: When I come home after I'm done school and throw that same SSD back into my desktop, would there be a clash of drivers? Would these issues arise before this even happens (i.e. I install it into the laptop, install drivers and the whole thing malfunctions)?

Thanks in advance! 

You would get issues with laptop drivers too. Windows doesn't really like it when you try to switch around with systems. Save some money and buy another SSD. Or use that laptop SSD for games only on your home PC.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

What I would recommend is to create two different drive partitions and have two windows installs (even though that would take up space) on the drive, from there boot your laptop off of one partition and you would install a full set of drivers again onto that partition and have access to your files in the other partition then when you go to your desktop, boot off of the other partition and you'll have your desktop drivers there.

DISCLAIMER: I would not just try to do this if you are somewhat new with computers, it is a risky process and you may have some other issues,

P.S.I have not tested this

6 hours ago, JYDM said:

What I would recommend is to create two different drive partitions and have two windows installs (even though that would take up space) on the drive, from there boot your laptop off of one partition and you would install a full set of drivers again onto that partition and have access to your files in the other partition then when you go to your desktop, boot off of the other partition and you'll have your desktop drivers there.

DISCLAIMER: I would not just try to do this if you are somewhat new with computers, it is a risky process and you may have some other issues,

P.S.I have not tested this

Right. Good point. Why did I not think of this before? I've been recommending this to people on here for the past 3 days that I've been here...mentioned at least 3 times and why...why did I not think of it for my own situation LOL Thanks. 

If I were to split the SSD for another partition hmm... I'd need to set the other partition as primary otherwise I'd have to go through drive selection every time I startup my comp. Should be simple actually.