RADIATORS How Many

Go to solution Solved by CoolBeans,

will a single 480 and 360 work , just for cpu and gpu for now later this year i will upgrade it add more gpu and rads.

Yes, but just get 2 480s and a 360 so you don't have to worry about it

Building my first gaming rig after a long time and the things I'm gonna water cool are CPU and GPU.

So Which radiators should i install for now , will install more upgrades later this year.

Specs

i7   4770k

Corsair dominator platinum 16 gb 2133

Asus Maximus vi Extreme

Samsung 840 pro ssd 256gb

Amd 9xxx series graphics card

Case CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 900 D

2 480s + a 360

will a single 480 and 360 work , just for cpu and gpu for now later this year i will upgrade it add more gpu and rads.

and what about thickness of the rads?

to be honest, a simple 360x 60 could easily cool the CPU/GPU with a fair fan speed.

if using SLI/CFX then add a 240x 60.

if you don't have the case yet, watch for the 750D with 360 roof mount and 240 front

mount radiator plans. pretty much a 900D without basement.

airdeano

As a rule of thumb if I go custom loop I always go 3x120mm for cpu plus at least an extra 120mm for each extra component.

So for your system I'ld say a 480mm rad at the least.

what? 480 minimum? c'mon.. we are cooling a simple CPU with 240x25mm

radiators and fast fans.. fatten the rad to normal 60mm and slower fan speeds and

it'll be cool all day.. add your 120 for the GPU and 360 is magic.

2x 240x 60 is overkill for a CPU/GPU loop and can run sub 1000rpm fans for cool temps.

airdeano

to be honest, a simple 360x 60 could easily cool the CPU/GPU with a fair fan speed.

if using SLI/CFX then add a 240x 60.

if you don't have the case yet, watch for the 750D with 360 roof mount and 240 front

mount radiator plans. pretty much a 900D without basement.

airdeano

Still, if he has or is planning on getting a 900D why not use it for what it is meant for, that is filling it up with as many rads as possible :)

Still, if he has or is planning on getting a 900D why not use it for what it is meant for, that is filling it up with as many rads as possible :)

My this build is just for gaming and just check with all of  Corsair dealers in Pakistan none of them have 900D and it will take them around 10 week to arrive and if i order it form some where else its going to cost me around and over 600$.

So Carbide air 540 is available and it around 160$ thinking about buying it now and later will change it with 900D or newer one.

Air540 can fit one 360 and one 240 rad by default but can be modified for some extra rads behind the motherboard tray.

talk about over kill guys. even 1 480 would be plenty.  if your adding another GPU and it gets hot in your house add a basement 360 or 480 since the cost is so close.   rule of thumb is 1 fan spot per item watercooled not counting MB and ram + an extra for ambient air temp head room.