Square Monitor - 1:1, 1920p - EIZO EV2730Q

21 minutes ago, Dredgy said:

I replaced all the business monitors with these and my analysts and accountants - none of whom are particular computer savvy - have all reported satisfaction and an increase in productivity.

You replaced all the monitors in a business with ones costing one and a half thousand dollars?

Just now, l__T__l said:

You replaced all the monitors in a business with ones costing one and a half thousand dollars?

I worded that poorly, I replaced all the monitors of people who do general business tasks, and a couple of programmers now have them as secondary monitors.

1 hour ago, Dredgy said:

@Curufinwe_wins I tested pretty much every scenario you listed above, including my 4K TV and monitors, 21:9 monitors, my work dual 5:4s, a projector we use for collaborating on programming, professional colour grading monitors, my personal 144Hz gaming monitors and 16:10 production monitor, and an old 4:3 and a couple of 1440p monitors I had laying around. The 1:1 dominated all of them in productivity scenarios, as it was the perfect physical size, resolution, pixel density etc. A 40" 4K TV does give you a lot of space to work with, but I can about 10 minutes of actually using a display that big on my desk before I'm schizophrenic.

The one I reviewed here does have the full horizontal resolution of a 1080p 16:9 display which makes it perfect for spreadsheeting. I replaced all the business monitors with these and my analysts and accountants - none of whom are particular computer savvy - have all reported satisfaction and an increase in productivity.

Spreadsheeting is literally the only productivity environment for me that requires 100% of the vertical space a large 16:9 requires. 

But if you can do two 1:1s of that size a 40in 16:9 4k is literally better in every possible single metric (assuming you take the 10 minutes to configure additional quick snaps). 

Obviously personal preference will vary but from a metric standpoint these montiors make 0 sense. 

The operative statement here is 2 (18. 3 inch long each so 36.5 plus bezels)  1:1s vs one large (35 long,  19 tall) 16:9 which is nigh on identical at the sizes you mentioned.  If you can't deal with one coherent monitor tape a strip down the middle lol (either way I'd recommend reworking them to be recognized as two separate monitors which is easy to do.) 

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 hour ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

can do two 1:1s of that size a 40in 16:9 4k is literally better in every possible single metric (assuming you take the 10 minutes to configure additional quick snaps). 

I wouldn't use 2 of these side by side at all. This is the first monitor I've ever used where 1 is enough, which is largely the point (I'm someone who has a 6-8 monitor setup at any given time). 

The reason that one is enough is that my preferred size/res is 24"/1080p (or 27"/1440p) in 16:9, which means I'm used to about 2000 pixels across and 1000 pixels down, and this monitor still offers that 2000 pixels across while nearly doubling the amount of pixels on the vertical.

In my opinion  (which is based on a lot of real world experience and I am being as objective as possible about), ONE of these square monitors is easier and more productive for me to work on than ONE 42" 4K TV. And by a long way

If I could only have one monitor for the rest of my life, it would be this one. If I could only have 2, I'd couple it with a curved 34" 1440p ultrawide for movies and gaming. I am a monitor whore though, I have rooms full of them at work and cupboards full of them at home. I'm so used to having a different monitor for different tasks that I was (and still am) amazed at how much of my very varied workload could be accomplished on this one monitor.

4 hours ago, Dredgy said:

snip

I am naturally assuming you didn't go through any of the steps to configure the display with additional snap points (making it a virtual dual-display)...

Anyways, it's clear the workload is very different (as I have said), and much less multi-task oriented, which I can totally see why this montior would be good for that sort of thing, that just isn't what comes to mind when I think of productivity...

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

7 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

I am naturally assuming you didn't go through any of the steps to configure the display with additional snap points (making it a virtual dual-display)...

You would assume incorrectly, I think I mentioned it as an aside in that video, but I have done a video on DisplayFusion and am a very heavy user of it,

• 6 years later...

Years later, there's still nothing like this except the recently released LG DualUp which is close but not exactly 1:1. You can however jury-rig your own square monitor using a 1920 x 1920 panel from AliExpress like some homebrew arcade folks do for roughly half the price it still commands at retail which is a grand.