Square Monitor - 1:1, 1920p - EIZO EV2730Q

So this is a piece of tech that most people won't be able to try out, so I thought I'd do the hard yards. It's the Eizo 1:1 Square monitor - the EV2730Q. I think it's a really interesting piece of tech and would love to hear your thoughts.

@ALwin @ShadowCaptain if you haven't seen already. @Windspeed36 thought this might interest you.

Ironically the video is best viewed in 1440p on a 21:9 display. I worked really hard on the video so would like your opinion on it, as well as the monitor.

Positives

- Excellent quality panel, little to no backlight bleed, 10 bit IPS with great viewing angles and high colour accuracy.

- Perfect pixel density. Same amount of pixels as a 2560*1440p display in a 26.5" square. Can be pushed to 2048*2048.

- Good stand with tilt and height adjust.

- Resolution is f**king awesome for productivity. Cuts down on excess whitespace you get on 16:9 and 21:9 displays - nearly every pixel is actually useable.

- Best for video editing, audio editing, database/spreadsheet, layout design, photo viewing, web browsing, CAD, programming.....everything that's productive.

- Motion sensor for waking up the monitor when you sit down at your desk.

Negatives

- Price. Though if you are making money off of your work, this is a worthy investment.

- Speakers are terrible. Like 1W affairs with no depth. Even for monitor speakers....

- Gaming field of view is terrible, albeit novel.

Any questions or comments, please ask. This is unusual technology to see in a "consumer" space, and it still fascinates me. Never had anything change the way I work so drastically, so quickly.

1 minute ago, Paralectic said:

One question: Why?

Okay.. for Roller Coaster Tycoon..

Work.

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

2 minutes ago, Paralectic said:

I'd actually love a couple of these at work. Less scrolling would be so nice...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Just now, Paralectic said:

How so?

7 minutes ago, Dredgy said:

- Excellent quality panel, little to no backlight bleed, 10 bit IPS with great viewing angles and high colour accuracy.

- Perfect pixel density. Same amount of pixels as a 2560*1440p display in a 26.5" square. Can be pushed to 2048*2048.

- Good stand with tilt and height adjust.

- Resolution is f**king awesome for productivity. Cuts down on excess whitespace you get on 16:9 and 21:9 displays - nearly every pixel is actually useable.

- Best for video editing, audio editing, database/spreadsheet, layout design, photo viewing, web browsing, CAD, programming.....everything that's productive.

- Motion sensor for waking up the monitor when you sit down at your desk.

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

Just now, Paralectic said:

RCT3 might have to happen. But it is literally night and day with everything else, and I show examples in the video. Nearly everything is made better and it's saved me massive amounts of time on programming and video editing projects. I really can't remember another piece of tech that has changed how I work so much for the better.

Just now, Dredgy said:

RCT3 might have to happen. But it is literally night and day with everything else, and I show examples in the video. Nearly everything is made better and it's saved me massive amounts of time on programming and video editing projects. I really can't remember another piece of tech that has changed how I work so much for the better.

The benefit here is from the pixel amount more than the aspect ratio I recon?

1 minute ago, Paralectic said:

No, it's a combination of the resolution and aspect ratio (as well as physical size). I have 4K monitors, 2560*1440p monitors and 3440P*1440P monitors and (for work) this beats all of them. A 2560*1440P screen has exactly the same number of pixels and is nowhere near as useable. The problem with widescreen monitors, is that they have a lot of horizontal space (great for content consumption) but most professional and mildly productive tasks need vertical space more (which is why 5:4 or 4:5 monitors are still common in offices)

Plus most applications are designed to work (and work well) on a monitor that is 1920 pixels across, so there is no added whitespace (happens on 21:9s and 1440P monitors) and you don't have to deal with scaling.  

Really good video dude, might look into that monitor myself

Just now, Windspeed36 said:

Your work have never sold one? Get a shipment in and then sell them to yourself ;)

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

36 minutes ago, Paralectic said:

The aspect ratio is great for productivity which rarely takes widescreen into account

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

If I'm going to get an Eizo monitor, it will be from their ColorEdge line of products.  A 4K model with very wide gamut.  While a square display sounds nice for productivity, as I work a lot with media more than documents, I need that wide gamut and color accuracy.  If I need the vertical space, I do have a spare monitor that I can turn on its side.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Great video! 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

23 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

If you can justify the cost, might as well. I couldn't quite bring myself to do it for my personal rig, but will likely pick up a couple for the office. Though the price discrepancy between retail and wholesale isn't quite as much as I'd like. Then again, a curved ultrawide is only a couple of hundred dollars cheaper so I guess it's not that much of a stretch

19 hours ago, ALwin said:

If I'm going to get an Eizo monitor, it will be from their ColorEdge line of products.  A 4K model with very wide gamut.  While a square display sounds nice for productivity, as I work a lot with media more than documents, I need that wide gamut and color accuracy.  If I need the vertical space, I do have a spare monitor that I can turn on its side.

We have ones with in-built calibrators, but I don't really know anything about them, and my poor colour perception makes me the worst possible person to review it.

16 hours ago, Sharif said:

Great video! 

Thanks, glad you enjoyed.

People talk about how inconvenient 16:9 is, but am I the only one not having issues working with this kind of aspect ratio?

Just now, chicksoup said:

People talk about how inconvenient 16:9 is, but am I the only one not having issues working with this kind of aspect ratio?

I use 16:9 without issues every day (I have 5 16:9 monitors on my personal rig). Doesn't mean there aren't better solutions though - you don't realize how much you're compromising until you've tried something that doesn't make you compromise. 

Now that you have 1080p and 1440P and even 2160P monitors at 16:9, it's alot more workable than it used to be. When everything was switching from 4:3/5:4 to 16:9, it was usually 768p or 900p monitors and they were/are TERRIBLE for things such as spreadsheets.

I can understand that struggle :D have used old school monitors like that. I'm actually really intrigued by the ultrawide monitors and plan on buying one when I upgrade in a year or so

When this monitor was announced I asked what it was for, I also heard it was for people who played Quake competitively. So.. Got any opinions on that? (not planning to get this monitor tbh)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 minutes ago, Minibois said:

When this monitor was announced I asked what it was for, I also heard it was for people who played Quake competitively. So.. Got any opinions on that? (not planning to get this monitor tbh)

I haven't played quake since the 90s, so I'm not sure what this monitor would bring to the table? I would think a high refresh rate monitor (EIZO do make a "240HZ" one) would still be the better option, unless there's some special FOV requirements in Quake I'm not aware of.

This is definitely geared towards productivity in a professional environment. That's what it was marketed to me as and, after using it, that's definitely the case. I've been back on more conventional monitors the last week and am probably going to end up forking out the big bucks for the Square :/

I was talking to EIZO about it's use cases, and square monitors are apparently very necessary in air traffic control (makes sense, you want radar displays to be equidistant from center point). ATC uses a much more expensive model though, that's not available to the general public - and features stuff such as redundant SDI inputs and replaceable backlights.

• 1 month later...

I personally prefer using a 16:10 monitor that has an arm attached or a decent quality stand as its good for content consumption and for work or web browsing you can just put it in portait giving more vertical space. I prefer 16:10 as its close to the aspect ratio of your vision but 16:9 would work just as well.

2 hours ago, l__T__l said:

I personally prefer using a 16:10 monitor that has an arm attached or a decent quality stand as its good for content consumption and for work or web browsing you can just put it in portait giving more vertical space. I prefer 16:10 as its close to the aspect ratio of your vision but 16:9 would work just as well.

Not even close to the same thing. I use a 16:10 (on an arm) as my daily driver (where I had the 1:1 in the video) and it just doesn't allow for as easy an experience as the 1:1 in any area of content creation, especially print design, video editing, spreadsheeting, audio editing, database design, diagramming/drafting or programming. Directly compared side by side with the 1:1 monitor, both 16:10 and 16:9 are awful!

Aside from the issues mentioned with rotating a monitor in the video (reconfiguring things such as desktop background, resolution etc), most tasks - if not all - greatly benefit from having both horizontal and vertical working area.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/21/2016 at 11:42 PM, Dredgy said:

Not even close to the same thing. I use a 16:10 (on an arm) as my daily driver (where I had the 1:1 in the video) and it just doesn't allow for as easy an experience as the 1:1 in any area of content creation, especially print design, video editing, spreadsheeting, audio editing, database design, diagramming/drafting or programming. Directly compared side by side with the 1:1 monitor, both 16:10 and 16:9 are awful!

Aside from the issues mentioned with rotating a monitor in the video (reconfiguring things such as desktop background, resolution etc), most tasks - if not all - greatly benefit from having both horizontal and vertical working area.

So just a comment here.... But 16:10 is literally identical functionality to two smaller 4:5s... 

I use dual 16:9 (I do attest 16:10 might be preferable) and absolutely detest 1:1 and 4:5 monitors, there isn't anywhere close to enough horizontal space to do what I need to (either spreadsheets which require the full space of a single 16:9, or 4 strips of space for supreme multitasking (esp relevant when I need to write reports).

But hey, I rarely use real full screen on any one application (outside of excel or teamviewer if that counts).

Perhaps the issue is you are comparing to bad choices... A 40in 4k 16:9 panel offers even greater vertical and horizontal physical space compared to two of these 1:1s (with the same or greater pixel count in both dimensions) and is available at significantly lower prices than even one of these 1:1 displays.

Also it takes up less space on a desk and doesn't require a multi-mount system.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

@Curufinwe_wins I tested pretty much every scenario you listed above, including my 4K TV and monitors, 21:9 monitors, my work dual 5:4s, a projector we use for collaborating on programming, professional colour grading monitors, my personal 144Hz gaming monitors and 16:10 production monitor, and an old 4:3 and a couple of 1440p monitors I had laying around. The 1:1 dominated all of them in productivity scenarios, as it was the perfect physical size, resolution, pixel density etc. A 40" 4K TV does give you a lot of space to work with, but I can about 10 minutes of actually using a display that big on my desk before I'm schizophrenic.

The one I reviewed here does have the full horizontal resolution of a 1080p 16:9 display which makes it perfect for spreadsheeting. I replaced all the business monitors with these and my analysts and accountants - none of whom are particular computer savvy - have all reported satisfaction and an increase in productivity.