Apple Responds to the FBI's Order with an Open Letter.

blaze756

Apple's CEO Tim Cook has responded to the order from the FBI to help them unlock an iPhone recovered in the San Bernadino shootings. Another user, 13CA350, has posted about this, post linked below. Tim Cook talks mostly about data encryption and need for it. He also talks about what would happen if they were to create such a tool to unlock devices. Cook also talks about how data is handled by law enforcement and companies and there needs to be a public discussion about what is a risk.

People pour their personal data into their mobile devices and entrust it to Google, Apple, Microsoft and other companies. The need for a strong encryption and privacy is becoming more and more important with the amount of personal data we give to companies.

Compromising the security of our personal information can ultimately put our personal safety at risk. That is why encryption has become so important to all of us.

OP: http://techcrunch.com/2016/02/17/tim-cook-apple-wont-create-backdoor-to-unlock-san-bernardino-attackers-iphone/

Full letter: https://www.apple.com/customer-letter/

encryption_1.thumb.jpg.d443b8e66738f08e3

i hope they dont give in if they do im taking a hammer to all my apple devices

4 minutes ago, BradH said:

i hope they dont give in if they do im taking a hammer to all my apple devices

I doubt they will, unless they are legally forced to etc, in which case it would really show the US government to be the enemy so I doubt they would take this route

Well done Tim Cook for retaining your integrity and making it clear how important security and privacy is. Sure terrorism etc is bad, but removing privacy/security from everyone would be 200x worse

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

the longer you think about it the harder it gets to believe that we accept this kind of behavior, I really hope Apple can hold their promises

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Is it even possible to legally force a company to do such thing? 

Encryption wouldn't mean shit if this is possible.

NSA will do it all the time if they have access to it.

1 minute ago, Paralectic said:

Is it even possible to legally force a company to do such thing? 

Encryption wouldn't mean shit if this is possible.

NSA will do it all the time if they have access to it.

Yes, it is no different to the court orders to shut down The Pirate Bay or hand over digital documents etc. The only defenses you can play is refusal or say it is impossible, put simply of course.

Again, the FBI is acting like a bunch of technology noobs. To refresh your mind, mister FBI, Apple CAN'T give you ANYTHING that's encrypted on the phone. Nothing. Zip. The data is encrypted and the key is locked in hardware behind the same encryption, so unless you want to physically open the device, rip the plastic off of the chip and then hit it with a laser or something to extract the key, good luck getting it. 

And don't start with "we need a backdoor for governments to go in". No. Just no. That defeats every single purpose of the word "encryption". If you do build in a backdoor, you're not the only people getting in. Everybody will get in.

I'm glad Apple is willing to show balls and more importantly, tell the world what's going on. 

Ye ole' train

Good on Apple for standing ground. But I feel like this is actually to be to make the whole backdoor situation worse if other countries starts imposing laws to avoid this kind of responses

thumbs up!

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Nothing but respect for this response, I hope it serves to highlight the problems with this direction of legislation. The more attention drawn to it, the better.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

For once I have to agree with Apple, glad they're not giving in. Here is to hoping all big players follow their example, considering almost all governments are pushing all big players to remove encryption. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

What is stopping FBI getting people to build this thing for them rather than asking Apple to do it? Ahh wait, they would break the law so they are asking Apple to build a tool so FBI aren't breaking the law. Hahaha, well played Apple, you are not stupid, we can see this, but cut the bullshit about the back door, just say we are not responsible for this.

Well done Apple (that's the first time I've ever said that) for standing your ground and sticking it to them. Maybe they'll get the message that encryption and privacy is important.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Don't let them bully you, Apple!

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

32 minutes ago, SirRoderick said:

Nothing but respect for this response, I hope it serves to highlight the problems with this direction of legislation. The more attention drawn to it, the better.

thats why I am happy its Apple it will spread all over the news, and get talked about

And if Apple are saying "we believe in encryption" etc then its going to be hard for the government to tell us the opposite

The more this happens the more ammunition we have to show the government that back doors are wrong, and only serve to undermine the security of its citizens

As I said before, terrorism is bad, but asking every civilian to give up basic privacy and security is worse

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Good to see them holding their ground for encryption.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Well fucking done Apple, you cannot treat the majority of the population as suspects because of a minuscule minority. I wonder what implications the act of forcing them to build a backdoor will have.

//Case: Phanteks 400 TGE //Mobo: Asus x470-F Strix //CPU: R5 2600X //CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 //RAM: G-Skill RGB 3200mhz //HDD: WD Caviar Black 1tb //SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 250Gb //GPU: GTX 1050 Ti //PSU: Seasonic MII EVO m2 520W

BUT APPEL IS TEH DANK LORD OF BRAENLESS HUMAN SHILLZ!!111!!!!??

But in all seriousness, good on Apple for having the gall to do something like that.

59 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

According to authorities, everyone could be a terrorist. That is why they insist no one has a right to privacy.

ftfy :D

and yes, I agree

49 minutes ago, Paragon_X said:

Well fucking done Apple, you cannot treat the majority of the population as suspects because of a minuscule minority. I wonder what implications the act of forcing them to build a backdoor will have.

No good ones