Personal Rig Update 2015 Part 5 - The Final Deployment

On 4/14/2018 at 6:16 PM, uaredisturbed said:

I finally found the rails!! He is using what appears to be rails from a Compellent CT-SC030 server or similar model that can be found at: https://www.serverworlds.com/compellent-s114-r16-p11-series-30-40-controller-rail-kit-ct-sc030-ct-sc040/

If you just type in Compellent CT-SC030 or CT-SC030 on eBay, you can usually find the rails on the beginning side if you sort by price. Hope this helps everyone!

P.S. I just ordered a pair of these and will update on receiving!

Sorry for the wait. After scowering the inter-webs, eBay and the Almighty Amazon, I have found out that the rails Linus use are actually quite common for Dell and Supermicro servers. You can look up at my quote for one of the sets of rails often used with Dell Compellent systems. For the Supermicro rails, its best to go to this website ( http://store.supermicro.com/server-accessories/rail-kit.html/?utm=rail ) as they have tonnes of these style rails for both 2U-3U systems and 4U-5U systems. I have personally ordered one of each to verify and to use on my own rigs. 

P.S. They work great and really are insanely easy to put on a rack! Just be sure you measure spacing correctly or you'll have to start all over like I ended up doing...

UPDATE: I bought a couple sets for my brother's rack, and attempted to install on his Rosewill 4U RSV-L4000 and RSV-L4412 cases and found out that they do not fit with them thanks to the handle mounting placement. So if you plan to use a Rosewill Case with these rails, THINK AGAIN, and this time think smarter. We ending up buying the standard Rosewill rack rails(non-telescopic) meant for that case and some heavy-duty UPS rack rails (also non-telescopic) and tried each. The Rosewill rails seemed flimsy in comparison, so we returned those and just bought another set of UPS rails instead and he is happy with those. Plus, the screw mounts on the UPS rails extended out about 1.5mm, just enough to assist in mounting but not hinder flush mounting components.

Happy mounting!

• 3 months later...

i need to know what cable that u connect to the pc at the other side, and the docking also

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

anyone know the name of the rails he used at 9:10 in the video? i am trying to find rails that attach to my server cases and all i am finding is rails you set the server on top of. 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/14/2018 at 8:46 PM, jjackson524 said:

how do i order a case like Linus do i need a drawing or does he have a link or something?

I would also like to know the answer to this question

Hi all,

So now that is 2021 and there is so nice tools available for reviewers like the Nvidia LDAT can we get some metrics on this setup, by comparing the thunderbolt connection with all associated peripheral's vs. direct DP to the screen?

• 5 months later...

Does anybody know what rails he's using for the custom-built server?

On 2/22/2019 at 6:32 PM, bossman118242 said:

anyone know the name of the rails he used at 9:10 in the video? i am trying to find rails that attach to my server cases and all i am finding is rails you set the server on top of. 

Did you ever get an answer?

• 3 months later...
On 5/3/2021 at 11:38 AM, enotsz said:

Hi all,

So now that is 2021 and there is so nice tools available for reviewers like the Nvidia LDAT can we get some metrics on this setup, by comparing the thunderbolt connection with all associated peripheral's vs. direct DP to the screen?

I really hope that someone will do that research