Personal Rig Update 2015 Part 5 - The Final Deployment

19 minutes ago, Teef2009 said:

That's a cool idea, kind of combining this with the 7 gamers one pc thing and running high speed VM's from a single server/pc in the house. And I guess you could allocate more performance to your rig than to the wife and kid's machines? So you spend a lot on one pc, but you get 4 or 5 machines out of it, maybe even build it, it's own little super ventilated closet in the house. I know for enthusiasts like most people on this forum it won't be appealing, but imagine packaging that from a consumer's point of view for you everyday household, I smell a business idea =) Any thoughts? 

What i was thinking about was a windows feature, that allows you to assign a new monitor connected on it's own graphics card as a new user. So, you would have the two adults and two children. You build a machine with 4 graphics cards, one high end for the kid gamer, and 3 low end. Now you connect a monitor from each room to each graphics card. Windows detects that you've plugged multiple monitors into separate graphics cards. Then asks you if you want to create a new user for these.

So, each person has their own user account. Each user would be running of the same c:. But they can't access each others user folder. Programs can be installed either to a specific user, or all if you have admin.

You'd be able to assign ram and cpu cores to each user. 32gb and assign 8 to each machine. So even if the kid was gaming he would not be hogging cpu/ram resources from the other users.

And you can assign peripherals to specific users as in mouse and keyboard. So in my scenario there's be 2 cables to each machine. Video and a hub for peripherals.

That would allow a household to run off one machine without having expert knowledge. And i think that would be pretty cool.

Guys I'd love some advice if you'd be so kind. 

I would like to do something similar to this, let me explain the set-up. 

At the minute I use my PC on the living room television, we use it for pretty much all our entertainment. 

What I would like to do is move the PC into the study upstairs and wire through the cavity wall so that I can use the PC in the study like normal, but also have it connected to the TV downstairs for movies, gaming etc as well as have something like a USB hub beside the TV to allow connection of peripherals. 

Running an Ethernet cable and an HMDI cable though the wall isn't a problem. 

What is a problem however is the length of USB 3.0 thats required, I figure I'll need about 15m. 

I can't reconcile the crazy amount of money on the Corning Optical USB 3.0 cable. 

I've looked at USB over Ethernet and active extension cables but they seem flaky at best. 

I'd rather not use wireless as I'll still be using the TV downstairs for gaming and I don't want the latency.

Any ideas would be appreciated, failing that I guess I'll have to shell out for the optical cable!

Thanks for your help. 

J

On 2/24/2016 at 8:22 PM, Joetech3000 said:

What are the rails Linus used that clip into the rack?

I would also like to know this.

• 3 weeks later...

@LinusTech What are the rails you used for yours and Yvonne's PCs?

My Specs: CPU: AMD A10-5700. Motherboard: Asus A68H,-K mATX. Graphics: Integrated Radeon HD 7660D 

RAM: Avexir Standard 8GB (4GBx2) 1600MHz. PSU: Thermaltake TR2 430W. Case: Sentey KRON GS-6005. 

Cooling: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400, Front 140MM Fan Storage: Caviar Black 500GB, Momentus Thin 500GB, Diamondmax 22 500GB (1.5TB) Monitor: Acer X203H, eMachines E19T5W

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A little late to the discussion, but I have been doing research on the possibility of doing the exact same thing Linus did in this video (with some minor alterations, of course).

Can anyone tell me whether there is a way to control the PC power on and off functions via the Thunderbolt dock?  I know I could wire in a make shift switch into the next room with some wiring, but I was hoping for a more elegant solution.

• 3 weeks later...

Still looking for the rails he used.  Dug through a handful of enterprise equipment websites and of course Newegg. Found some without bearings,  some with,  but none that are ready identified as having a clip on style attachment method. 

Would like to know what they are or if there is a link to them. 

• 4 months later...

I know this is coming back from the dead, but it would be nice if either @nicklmg or @LinusTech could answer the question that quite a few of us have asked and as far as I can tell was never answered. What sliders did Linus end up using? From the looks of it, they are tool-less, but that still leaves a ton of varieties to sort through. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/5/2017 at 10:08 AM, Geran said:

What size rack is he using? 24U or 27U?

12U

2 hours ago, Adexon said:

12U

ent a fuckign 12U is it he has 2 4u servers so thats 8u plus 2 2u ups so thats 10u and still has about 10u+ about that

On 05/01/2017 at 3:08 AM, Geran said:

What size rack is he using? 24U or 27U?

its a 24u rack i believe as mine is 27u and i recon is probs same size as linus in height lol

Case:- 4U Rack Mount Case | Cooler:- Antec Kuhler H600 | CPU:- Intel i5 4690K @ 4.50GHz GPU:- Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP! Omega Core Edition @ 1449MHz | Motherboard:- MSI Z97S SLI Krait | PSU:- XFX XTR 650W Gold | RAM:- HyperX DDR3 1866MHz 4GB White (x2) Black (x2) | Storage:- Kingston V300 120GB | Storage 2:- Seagate FireCuda 1TB | Build Log |

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the close to 2 month necro, but did anyone ever find out what rails those are?

• 4 weeks later...

@LinusTech I am going to order one of these cases you created with Protocase with some minor modifications. You mentioned in one of the videos you would have changed a few things about the design.  Would you be able to comment on what those changes would be?

• 2 months later...

Did Linus ever do a video on his wife's build - that thing is gorgeous.  What's the cooler he's using there?

Also look like a 24U rack, anyone know the make? Norco?

Screen Shot 2017-07-13 at 01.43.21.png

Hi i know this is an old post but i am wondering how did he send the output of the gpu into the thunderbolt cable?

17 hours ago, christoffer15 said:

Hi i know this is an old post but i am wondering how did he send the output of the gpu into the thunderbolt cable?

The Thunderbolt card comes with a Displayport to Mini Displayport cable.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have a how to and PCIe card for the thunderbolt? I'd considering that for my own build

• 4 weeks later...

So I'm moving and I'm committed to putting my PC in another room in our new house.  Unfortunately Linus didn't go into much detail about the displays and the thunderbolt adapters, as well there's not a lot of info out there about it.

My PC will be about 30-40ft away from my monitors and setup.  I will have one 1440p 144hz monitor and one 1440p 60hz monitor.

If I were to pick up the ASUS Thunderbolt 3 card that only has one MiniDP In, would that be enough bandwidth to run both of my monitors off of?  I saw someone else here linked a dual DisplayPort card, but I'm even more confused about that one.

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 6:01 PM, aliensbrah said:

So I'm moving and I'm committed to putting my PC in another room in our new house.  Unfortunately Linus didn't go into much detail about the displays and the thunderbolt adapters, as well there's not a lot of info out there about it.

My PC will be about 30-40ft away from my monitors and setup.  I will have one 1440p 144hz monitor and one 1440p 60hz monitor.

If I were to pick up the ASUS Thunderbolt 3 card that only has one MiniDP In, would that be enough bandwidth to run both of my monitors off of?  I saw someone else here linked a dual DisplayPort card, but I'm even more confused about that one.

Currently, there are no optical Thunderbolt 3 cables on the market that span that length.  I have contacted Corning (the ones with the optical Thunderbolt 2 cables Linus used), Thunderbolt, and Intel.  Corning can't comment on anything they might be working on, Thunderbolt has no idea, and Intel won't respond.  These optical cables were supposed to be out in late 2016 according to Intel.  So for now you are limited to using a Thunderbolt 2 card with a Thunderbolt 2 optical cable and a Thunderbolt 2 dock. 

To answer your question regarding your displays, the Thunderbolt hub you buy really determines what displays you can run.  On the Thunderbolt 2 hubs that I have seen, you are limited to running DisplayPort through the Thunderbolt 2 port via an adapter and having an additional HDMI port.  There are specs at the bottom of the Elgato Thunderbolt 2 Dock website (this is the dock Linus used).  Link:  https://www.elgato.com/en/dock/thunderbolt-2

From my understanding, this would meet your needs because the HDMI spec is as follows: "HDMI output up to 4096 x 2160 pixels at 24 Hz, 3840 x 2160 pixels at 30 Hz, and 2560 x 1600 pixels at 60 Hz" and you can add your 144hz display over a Thunderbolt 2 adapter, given the adapter supports that refresh rate.

That seems to be your best bet unless you want to wait for Thunderbolt 3 optical cables.  The Thunderbolt 3 hubs have a DisplayPort instead of an HDMI port and a lot more bandwidth for daisy chaining.  Link:  https://www.elgato.com/en/dock/thunderbolt-3

Hope this helps!

• 7 months later...

I finally found the rails!! He is using what appears to be rails from a Compellent CT-SC030 server or similar model that can be found at: https://www.serverworlds.com/compellent-s114-r16-p11-series-30-40-controller-rail-kit-ct-sc030-ct-sc040/

If you just type in Compellent CT-SC030 or CT-SC030 on eBay, you can usually find the rails on the beginning side if you sort by price. Hope this helps everyone!

P.S. I just ordered a pair of these and will update on receiving!

On 4/14/2018 at 6:16 PM, uaredisturbed said:

P.S. I just ordered a pair of these and will update on receiving!

Please do!