Beware of the "Enable Experimental Javascript" flag in Chrome

Enabling the "Enable Experimental Javascript" flag at chrome://flags/#enable-javascript-harmony results in most features of the forum becoming unusable. Drop-down menus fail to respond, and text fields for thread replies, thread creation, and private messages only show a background with no option to enter text. 

Chrome 48 (64 bit) Stable

Windows 8.1

Successfully reproduced in both desktop mode and windows 8 mode.

lol

java

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

19 hours ago, BenjaminC said:

Enabling the "Enable Experimental Javascript" flag at chrome://flags/#enable-javascript-harmony results in most features of the forum becoming unusable. Drop-down menus fail to respond, and text fields for thread replies, thread creation, and private messages only show a background with no option to enter text. 

Chrome 48 (64 bit) Stable

Windows 8.1

Successfully reproduced in both desktop mode and windows 8 mode.

Strangely enough, everything works fine for me on Chrome Beta channel, build 49 branch, 64 bit version. Have you tried clearing cache/cookies?

19 hours ago, Enderman said:

lol

java

Javascript =/= Java

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JavaScript

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

3 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

Strangely enough, everything works fine for me on Chrome Beta channel, build 49 branch, 64 bit version. Have you tried clearing cache/cookies?

Yes, I cleared cache+cookies and made sure I could reproduce it before posting. I was also able to reproduce the issue on a separate system running Ubuntu 15.10 and Chrome 48 (64 bit) Stable.

5 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/javascript/article.php/3470971

JavaScript is a (very) distant cousin of Java in that it is also an OOP language. Many of their programming structures are similar. However, JavaScript contains a much smaller and simpler set of commands than does Java. It is easier for the average weekend warrior to understand.

java-8-tutorial-lambda-expressions-part-

Oh look, they are both a shitty language, one for web and one for OS.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, BenjaminC said:

Yes, I cleared cache+cookies and made sure I could reproduce it before posting. I was also able to reproduce the issue on a separate system running Ubuntu 15.10 and Chrome 48 (64 bit) Stable.

Do you mind installing the beta or dev channel version of Chrome alongside the stable version. Might be a bug that's present in version 48, but not versions 49 and 50.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Just now, CUDA_Cores said:

it's experimental for a reason:|

Yep, just posted so others would know if they actively use the flag.

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

-snip-

I never said it wasn't an shitty language! That's why I've only ever done C/C++ :P

It's true that syntax wise Javascript was built to mirror Java, and it also includes some of the basic standard libraries, etc.

But they're still different in implementation, and I do agree that it is analogous to being cousins. 

11 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

Do you mind installing the beta or dev channel version of Chrome alongside the stable version. Might be a bug that's present in version 48, but not versions 49 and 50.

Could not reproduce in Chrome 50 (64 bit) canary, If you'd like I can attempt to install dev but it doesn't look like google offers a side-by-side installer for anything but the canary channel, correct me if I'm wrong.

2 minutes ago, BenjaminC said:

Could not reproduce in Chrome 50 (64 bit) Canary, If you'd like I can attempt to install dev but it doesn't look like google offers a side-by-side installer for anything but the canary channel, correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, there's no side by side install. But you should be able to revert back to stable when you're done.

I couldn't reproduce on Chrome 49 branch or Chrome 50 branch, so it might be an bug in Chrome 48 branch.

Edited by ionbasa

13 minutes ago, Enderman said:

java-8-tutorial-lambda-expressions-part-

They are completely different and unrelated. One is a statically typed compiled language and one is a dynamically typed interpreted language. It says they are distantly related because they are both object oriented. if that is your basis for implying that they are 'basically' the same language, then C++, C#, PHP, Perl and many other languages are all also the same language. JavaScript isn't even fully object oriented, its an object based scripting language.

9 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

Yes, there's no side by side install. But you should be able to revert back to stable when you're done.

I couldn't reproduce on Chrome 49 branch or Chrome 50 branch, so it might be an bug in Chrome 48 branch.

Couldn't reproduce in Chrome 49 beta or Chrome 50 dev either, looks like you're right about it being a Chrome 48 bug.