So Vaping and Computers do not mix

jcw150
Just now, SansVarnic said:

Just to say it.

For one that lives in the UK your English is terrible.

Mate it's 3 o'clock and I need to sleep so pls let this one slide :P

4 minutes ago, jcw150 said:

They failed at different times, first the Titan X and then his motherboard.

Then they probably failed on their own.  Look, someone's gonna get hardware that just dies and someone else is going to be the unlucky person who has to hardware failures close together.  I don't think you appreciate just how much moisture in the air to short the computer.  the room would have been covered in mold before hand.

2 minutes ago, jcw150 said:

Also it's so bloody smoggy I would not be all surprised if there was condensation the air is really heavy

'you would not be suprised'?  No, I still don't think you get it.  That much moisture?  The amount needed in the air to cause that kind of condensation?  The carpets would be SOGGY.  It wouldn't be a matter of conjecture.

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

Then they probably failed on their own.  Look, someone's gonna get hardware that just dies and someone else is going to be the unlucky person who has to hardware failures close together.  I don't think you appreciate just how much moisture in the air to short the computer.  the room would have been covered in mold before hand.

I totally get what you're saying but his Titan X had actual liquidy residue on it.

Just now, jcw150 said:

I totally get what you're saying but his Titan X had actual liquidy residue on it.

Pics?

I vape and from a personal experience from this I notice I can fog up my car rather nicely if the heat is going and there is no way for the vapour to escape from. I also have friends who have those really stupid vape devices where the inhale bit/tip is about an inch thick because it produces a massive amount when used. I would suspect lots of things to cause foul play but it is possible in sealed room to smog it up badly if there is not ventilation, and if he's basically using the device to breathe (not really stopping vaping for hours on end).

15 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

'you would not be suprised'?  No, I still don't think you get it.  That much moisture?  The amount needed in the air to cause that kind of condensation?  The carpets would be SOGGY.  It wouldn't be a matter of conjecture.

I'm kinda doubting it being vaping now, because why would it condensate in his computed cause surely that'd be one of the hottest areas of his room.

14 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Pics?

None sorry he returned it to amazon

14 minutes ago, Gen427 said:

I vape and from a personal experience from this I notice I can fog up my car rather nicely if the heat is going and there is no way for the vapour to escape from. I also have friends who have those really stupid vape devices where the inhale bit/tip is about an inch thick because it produces a massive amount when used. I would suspect lots of things to cause foul play but it is possible in sealed room to smog it up badly if there is not ventilation, and if he's basically using the device to breathe (not really stopping vaping for hours on end).

He normally has his doors and windows shut so ventilation would be awful and it does seem to produce loads of the smoke stuff.

4 minutes ago, jcw150 said:

He normally has his doors and windows shut so ventilation would be awful and it does seem to produce loads of the smoke stuff.

Yeah if the vape smoke is trapped in the room and if its a small room I can see this happening, its a water based vapour and most juices have vegetable oil bases so if you sat near a computer and smoked for hours on end and blew into or around the intake fan(s) on the case, the water vapour is going to build up inside the case because of the base it would stick to the cards etc, and the heat from them would/should evaporate most but I could see it boiling out all but the oils right which I'm guessing is what could then cause a short once it got to a certain amount built up.

The vaping isnt the issue. It doesn't cause much condensation at all

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

1 minute ago, RevoltTrain said:

The vaping isnt the issue. It doesn't cause much condensation at all

I've been there and this one really does

Never had this issue in my room, it does leave residue on my car's windows though.

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

Probably was the vaping.

A friend's car has residue on the inside due to vaping. It all comes down to poor ventilation which is what I'm going to assume happened with the dude's PC.

3 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

i vape more than you can imagine and my room is not humid and my PC is not broken, something else is going on if his room is that much humid maybe he is growing pot in his closet or something.

I'm betting my money that hes smoking using a bong or hookah rather than growing marijuana. Would explain all the humidity. xD

PS: I don't smoke, but I've crossed a few things off my bucket list :ph34r:

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

2 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

I'm betting my money that hes smoking using an bong than growing marijuana. Would explain all the humidity. xD

PS: I don't smoke, but I've crossed a few things off my bucket list :ph34r:

How many bong rips do you need to kill a PC?!?!?! Not going to attempt that challenge. 

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

I dunno. I mean, the vapor he exhales could be heading to his PC that when it accumulated it fucked with his rig. It could be the reason why I put my 970 in an oven to fix it (because Asus customer support wouldn't want to help me with it, but the store that it was purchased from would do it [I didn't have the receipt because it was given to me as a gift without a receipt, so I'm SOL... until I googled the GPU fix with the oven), but oh well. I'm still vaping, my GPU or my PC hasn't broken down since then (still working like day one), but yeah...

On 2/17/2016 at 2:32 PM, fishymamba said:

How many bong rips do you need to kill a PC?!?!?! Not going to attempt that challenge. 

I would. Just send me the weed and I'll test it for you! Worth putting my 970 back in the oven again, LMFAO!

On 17.2.2016 at 4:40 AM, jcw150 said:

Also it's so bloody smoggy I would not be all surprised if there was condensation the air is really heavy

As long as his gpu is giving off heat(substantial amount at that) that should be

next to impossible, as someone else said. The carpets should be dripping with

water at that point .. 

my msi 970 has what looks like a sticky residue on the pcb, they told me it's just

some residue from the cleaning process. Are you sure it wasn't there beforehand?

Was it actually a layer of residue you could pull off with your finger, or did it just 
look bad?

Its not totally impossible, Is his PC on his desk where maybe he is blowing the smog right into the intake fans?  I'm sure all the chems in that crap can easily leave a residue, I'm sorry to all the vapers who are en denial... that crap is even worse than regular smoking because you practically breath it every waking second.

TBH, that's better than the cigarette tar that killed my Dad's laptop (identical to mine, minus the top locked mobile Phenom II+SSD).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Would it be possible to have a picture of this residue?

It's possible it's just flux that's been left on the card when it was manufactured. Also, sometimes the thermal pads used on the cards can secrete an almost oily substance (had this on my GTX 780).