Making a Minecraft Server

Ok so im making a minecraft server using MineOS. I am wondering how many people you guys think it support at a time. It is a IBM 8670-GX1. It has 2 3.2Ghz Xeons (Thats literally all it says) and 3gb DDR1.

Breaking things 1 day at a time

Just now, Supercian411 said:

you will need more ram

like how much more...

1 minute ago, TubsAlwaysWIns said:

like how much more...

6-8GB minimum, 16GB or more would be optimal but it depends a lot on player count but more the 3GB

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

@TubsAlwaysWIns I'd install Linux on it and maybe run the server with 2GB of ram. It's totally fine. For gaming with a few friends, it's fine. Totally. 

i7 6700k - 32GB DDR4-2133 - GTX 980

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

6-8GB minimum, 16GB or more would be optimal but it depends a lot on player count but more the 3GB

The server only boots off of floppy drives unless a OS is installed on the HDD's. Plus it cant support 16Gb of RAM

11 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWIns said:

Ok so im making a minecraft server using MineOS. I am wondering how many people you guys think it support at a time. It is a IBM 8670-GX1. It has 2 3.2Ghz Xeons (Thats literally all it says) and 3gb DDR1.

Less than 5 people(2-3 would be ok, 4-5 would be pushing this machine), and vanilla only. This machine is old, really old.

@TubsAlwaysWIns If you just want to create a server with a few friends (3 or 4), it's totally fine. Install Linux on this thing and have fun:D

Just now, Lolucoca said:

@TubsAlwaysWIns If you just want to create a server with a few friends (3 or 4), it's totally fine. Install Linux on this thing and have fun:D

Ok thanks

3 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWIns said:

The server only boots off of floppy drives unless a OS is installed on the HDD's. Plus it cant support 16Gb of RAM

then i dont think its up for runing a big server, well install an OS then and try it i guess, i dont think it would be verry nice but maby it would, try slamming on as much ram you can then

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

@TubsAlwaysWIns I ran a minecraft server with 2GB once and never had a problem with it. Had multiple maps, many plugins and it didn't use more than 1.2GB of those 2GB of RAM. 

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

then i dont think its up for runing a big server, well install an OS then and try it i guess, i dont think it would be verry nice but maby it would, try slamming on as much ram you can then

ok

1 minute ago, Lolucoca said:

@TubsAlwaysWIns I ran a minecraft server with 2GB once and never had a problem with it. Had multiple maps, many plugins and it didn't use more than 1.2GB of those 2GB of RAM. 

But what kind of RAM was it??? Im using DDR1

@TubsAlwaysWIns It was DDR2, but normally, it doesn't really matter. RAM speeds are not that important anyways. Right now, it's using 600MB. 

MC.PNG

2 minutes ago, Lolucoca said:

@TubsAlwaysWIns It was DDR2, but normally, it doesn't really matter. RAM speeds are not that important anyways. Right now, it's using 600MB. 

MC.PNG

ok

If you have a few hundred to spend, I'd recommend getting something a little newer. You'll be spending a lot on power running that server and upgrading the ram will be expensive (registered DDR1).

You can get an HP DL380 G5 with 16GB for around $150 shipped. Its an old server, but much newer than that one. 

Or an HP DL380 G6 with a hex core Xeon X5650's with 36GB for under $300.

These use 2.5 SATA or SAS drives. You can buy empty HDD trays for cheap and use regular SATA HDDs or SSDs.

They are very common servers and the volume of them on ebay keeps the prices way down, spare parts are also cheap.

My personal MC server runs on an HP DL580 G5 with quad hex core Xeons and 128GB of ram. I spend like less than $500 on the entire thing building it over the course of a year for fun.

8 hours ago, Kadah said:

If you have a few hundred to spend, I'd recommend getting something a little newer. You'll be spending a lot on power running that server and upgrading the ram will be expensive (registered DDR1).

You can get an HP DL380 G5 with 16GB for around $150 shipped. Its an old server, but much newer than that one. 

Or an HP DL380 G6 with a hex core Xeon X5650's with 36GB for under $300.

These use 2.5 SATA or SAS drives. You can buy empty HDD trays for cheap and use regular SATA HDDs or SSDs.

They are very common servers and the volume of them on ebay keeps the prices way down, spare parts are also cheap.

My personal MC server runs on an HP DL580 G5 with quad hex core Xeons and 128GB of ram. I spend like less than $500 on the entire thing building it over the course of a year for fun.

Well the server was free and it runs minecraft just fins (at least over LAN)