Single led strip Spectrum Analyzer?

Hey LTT forum, im new to the forum, but i have a question that ive been burning for an answer to. Is it reasonable or even possible to set up a single led strip (individually addressable RGB leds) to be a spectrum analyzer that changed brightness and color (brighter for louder and as it reached a certain volume would change from green to yellow to eventually red) based on music through either a AUX jack or a USB connection? I imagine it could be possible through an arduino, but if it could be a usb attachment for my PC, that would be amazing to set up behind a desk.

its possible

NZXT LED strips have a "music" mode which imo looks like crap

you would need to code the arduino yourself to make it actually do what you want, idk how experienced you are at programming

the easiest option would be to set up something like rainmeter on your desktop, thats free and easy

but other than that, pretty sure an arduino is the best way to get what youre looking for

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Ya, im not at all a programmer, I can do hardware not software.

9 minutes ago, Will Milne said:

Hey LTT forum, im new to the forum, but i have a question that ive been burning for an answer to. Is it reasonable or even possible to set up a single led strip (individually addressable RGB leds) to be a spectrum analyzer that changed brightness and color (brighter for louder and as it reached a certain volume would change from green to yellow to eventually red) based on music through either a AUX jack or a USB connection? I imagine it could be possible through an arduino, but if it could be a usb attachment for my PC, that would be amazing to set up behind a desk.

There are LED drivers like theses which are capable of that using LED strips with an audio input, there are ones that can do individually addressable ones but usually require more work.

http://www.amazon.com/Kiwi-Music-Remote-Controller-Output/dp/B00PAJYN4U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1455593575&sr=8-3 

-Moved to hobby Electronics- 

I have one of these

it's connected an arduino and can be used to have sound/music trigger leds easily.

Even if you can't do the software, there is example code on the Github link for the shield.

It's worth it to invest in an arduino and learn a little about how it works.  Many of the consumer-grade accessories you might be interested in can be replicated with an

arduino and some downloaded code.  If you decide to take the plunge and get

I made one of these with an arduino at it's heart.

The first version did exactly as you describe, and the final version was a full graphic equaliser.

If you wanna PM me, I can explain in loads more detail.

If you don't care about the "graphic equaliser" bit, it's really really easy to do :)

Hope this helps :)

HW solution:

3 bandpass filter for low / mid / high. And than add a power amplifier for each bandpass.

SW solution

Sample 100ms of music, calulate the FFt of this block, and controll the LED according to the power desity in the desired frequency.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil