X99 vs Skylake for programming

Is X99 worth the $200 Canadian more than Z170 in programming? It's a big gap for me and I'm not sure I need 6 cores with hyper threading. I do GUI programming, USB interfaces, and School work along with lots of gaming. Thanks!

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

In my experience basically any computer can do programming, I dont see the point of X99 for that.

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

Just now, RuLeZ said:

In my experience basically any computer than do programming, I dont see the point of X99 for that.

Building the program. Thats like rendering. And you'd have to do that tons and tons for times for a program before you get rid of bugs

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Just now, Clanscorpia said:

Building the program. Thats like rendering. And you'd have to do that tons and tons for times for a program before you get rid of bugs

How long are you taking with your computer right now each time?

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

Just now, RuLeZ said:

How long are you taking with your computer right now each time?

I cant even. Its so trash I don't want to try. I haven't done anything big because it wouldn't run well enough so I could debug it. E1-2500 APU is trash.

Spoiler

AXIOM

x99 offers more compute performance, so if you have a lot of code to crunch through, a 5820k will probably be better. Keep in mind that one of the main advantages of the 5820k has over the 6700k is that it has two more cores, but the architecture of the enthusiast platform tends to be better at production uses.

ASU

If you really need to crush some numbers, get a Xeon. As long as you have some sort of discrete GPU, they will outperform most i7s on price/performance. 

Running Arch with i3-gaps on a Thinkpad X1 Extreme
Data Science Postgrad

2 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

x99 offers more compute performance, so if you have a lot of code to crunch through, a 5820k will probably be better. Keep in mind that one of the main advantages of the 5820k has over the 6700k is that it has two more cores, but the architecture of the enthusiast platform tends to be better at production uses.

So for more like small buisness programming it wouldn't make a big difference?\

Spoiler

AXIOM

1 minute ago, Claryn said:

If you really need to crush some numbers, get a Xeon. As long as you have some sort of discrete GPU, they will outperform most i7s on price/performance. 

I'm planning on OCing. I'm also doing lots of gaming.

Spoiler

AXIOM

i used to make the worst mess of spaghetti code on a mobile second gen i7, and it never even struggled at the things i threw at it. (okay maybe except that one time i accidentially pushed 420 irc messages per second for a test)

Just now, Clanscorpia said:

You can easily overclock Xeons. They are beating i7s in games as well. 

Running Arch with i3-gaps on a Thinkpad X1 Extreme
Data Science Postgrad

It depends on what are you programming. For my needs (html,css, javascript, c++, android and iphone programming and basic GUI) any computer can do it and doesn't take too long to build. If you're using graphic engines maybe it's worth the extra 2 cores that x99 offers. Also as you're going to game, take a look at benchmarks to see if x99 is a big improvement over z170.

8 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Is X99 worth the $200 Canadian more than Z170 in programming? It's a big gap for me and I'm not sure I need 6 cores with hyper threading. I do GUI programming, USB interfaces, and School work along with lots of gaming. Thanks!

Just for this, X99 is not worth it! If you're compiling the kernel all day, yeah, I can see the use for X99, but just some small one-man-project? Nope, not worth the money.

Just now, Claryn said:

You can easily overclock Xeons. They are beating i7s in games as well. 

but they dont OC quite as well as the K parts, that said, i doubt OC will be worth the trouble for programming.

3 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

If you want to do OCing and are planning to buy a 6700K do the math to see the price difference between your X99 with 5820K and Z170 system. Here in Germany it's like ~5 Euro so I would go with the 5820K, but I don't know if Skylake is cheaper in Canada.

1 minute ago, cynexit said:

Just for this, X99 is not worth it! If you're compiling the kernel all day, yeah, I can see the use for X99, but just some small one-man-project? Nope, not worth the money.

if a raspberry pi 2b can recompile the entirety of emulationstation (50-something emulators i think) overnight, i doubt that theres any single project even an i5 will struggle with.

Just now, cynexit said:

If you want to do OCing and are planning to buy a 6700K do the math to see the price difference between your X99 with 5820K and Z170 system. Here in Germany it's like ~5 Euro so I would go with the 5820K, but I don't know if Skylake is cheaper in Canada.

Its around $200-250 here. X99 mobos are expansive. The chip price difference is only 20 though

Spoiler

AXIOM

Save your money on the skylake.  It doesn't sound like you're working on anything heavy enough to require the extra horsepower.

my work in progress

i5 6600k  //  16gb g.skill ddr4 3000  //  evga gtx 980

custom water loop