Help on picking parts for nas build

Mycrafter5
4 minutes ago, Mycrafter5 said:

Got freenas running for the first time with my spare hardware, 1.1TBs of current storage,my parts list is: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Mycrafter5/saved/7TwLrH

Asides from the obvious, ECC and more HDDs, what parts would you guys recommend?

You don't necessarily need ECC RAM although more HDD's would be nice.  A CPU change wouldn't be bad, something like a cheap quad core.  Core 2 q6600 quad core perhaps?  They're 20$ but pack a punch, you can find LGA 775 mobos for cheap used.

"As Individuals we are weak like twigs but when we come together we become a mighty faggot"

I don't think it is a great idea to build a NEW AMD NAS. You should rather go for an Intel based NAS.

Also, I recommend getting a PSU from a much more reputable brand like Corsair, CoolerMaster, Silver Stone or Antec.

9 minutes ago, Aditya_V said:

I don't think it is a great idea to build a NEW AMD NAS. You should rather go for an Intel based NAS.

Also, I recommend getting a PSU from a much more reputable brand like Corsair, CoolerMaster, Silver Stone or Antec.

All parts on the pcpartpicker i already own, and I top out at 1.7 megabytes per second wireless, 11.7 wired, due to network limitations. PSU however i will not argue.

FYI Neither that motherboard or CPU support ECC< so stick with the memory you have.

That PSU im sure is fine, most of the big brands these days are pretty reliable, compared to PSU's of 10 years ago.

I'd look at improving the network speed. Is that 12MB/s or 12Mbps (1MB/s) ?

Why is your wired so slow? Is it to a 100Mbit switch or a Gbit switch? are you using ethernet or powerline?

Or are those speed figured, speedtests to the internet? Is your network much faster?

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Just now, Jarsky said:

FYI Neither that motherboard or CPU support ECC< so stick with the memory you have.

That PSU im sure is fine, most of the big brands these days are pretty reliable, compared to PSU's of 10 years ago.

I'd look at improving the network speed. Is that 12MB/s or 12Mbps (1MB/s) ?

Why is your wired so slow? Is it to a 100Mbit switch or a Gbit switch? are you using ethernet or powerline?

Or are those speed figured, speedtests to the internet? Is your network much faster?

11.7 MegaBYTES, not bits, my family really does like the mentality of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I am stuck on a 100 megabits internal network due to that mentality.

7 minutes ago, Mycrafter5 said:

11.7 MegaBYTES, not bits, my family really does like the mentality of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I am stuck on a 100 megabits internal network due to that mentality.

If you want better network speed (the cheapest method) try this:

As for a very, very basic NAS, I don't see anything wrong with the parts you already have (with a slight exception with the power supply, but you stated you won't change it, which I guess for the most part is fine).

Honestly for a small, local home NAS, ECC is kinda pointless... especially if you're going to do everything locally.

For Hard drives you can pick up some 3TB WD RED drives for pretty cheap ($100-$120 each)

As for an Operating System you can pick up a copy of Windows Server 2012 R2 for cheap (or even free if you're with DreamSpark or through a school or University.)

Want to build yourself a NAS? Check here!