CPU recommendation

Hello guys!

I currently have an FX-8320 oc-d to 4.4 GHz. It is realy old and i am planning a huge upgrade. My main upgrade is planned on the cpu (so i will also need a new mobo and ram).

I checked out the i5 6600k, i7 6700 and the Xeon E5-1620 v3.

I will write down the specs so you dont have to google it out :D

i5 6600k: 3.5 Ghz 4cores\4threads

i7 6700: 3.4 Ghz 4cores\8threads

Xeon E5-1620 v3: 3.7 Ghz 4cores\8threads

Which one do you think is the best for Mid-range media creation and high-end gaming?

They are basicly in the same price range in my country only the i5 is a little bit cheaper. 

Will you be overclocking?

cuz for intel chips only the k skews of i5s and i7s are overclockable i'm not to sure about xeons.

4 minutes ago, DJMasHup007 said:

Hello guys!

I currently have an FX-8320 oc-d to 4.4 GHz. It is realy old and i am planning a huge upgrade. My main upgrade is planned on the cpu (so i will also need a new mobo and ram).

Which one do you think is the best for Mid-range media creation and high-end gaming?

They are basicly in the same price range in my country only the i5 is a little bit cheaper. 

If you can, get the 6700k. The i5 may struggle when you do tasks like video rendering,etc..

CPU:Intel Core i3 3210 Mobo:MSI B75MA-E33  GPU:Intel 2500 HD Graphics  SSD:Adata SP600 128gb  HDD:Seagate 1tb 7200rpm  

PSU:Corsair CX430   Case:Antec ASK4000bU3  Monitor:Dell S2240l 21.5 inch 1080p

i will only overclock if i can, its not my main standpoint. I am not a huge oc becouse the benefit gains arent significant. but if i can i will. but if the other give better performance i will go with them. overclocking isn an issue i have  a dark rock pro3. Its silent build.

2 minutes ago, Woonatic said:

Will you be overclocking?

cuz for intel chips only the k skews of i5s and i7s are overclockable i'm not to sure about xeons.

Not true.  With the new Z170 chipset you can OC non K sku Skylake CPU's via the BCLK since it's independent from the PCI-E slot.

"As Individuals we are weak like twigs but when we come together we become a mighty faggot"

Just now, DJMasHup007 said:

i will only overclock if i can, its not my main standpoint. I am not a huge oc becouse the benefit gains arent significant. but if i can i will. but if the other give better performance i will go with them. overclocking isn an issue i have  a dark rock pro3. Its silent build.

The question you need to ask yourself is, do you REALLY need an i7?  An i5 6500 is more than enough here and can get a good OC on a Z170 board even though it's non k.

"As Individuals we are weak like twigs but when we come together we become a mighty faggot"

Just now, Marziman said:

The question you need to ask yourself is, do you REALLY need an i7?  An i5 6500 is more than enough here and can get a good OC on a Z170 board even though it's non k.

I need to be good for the following 2 years in terms of the cpu.

I need to be good for the following 2 years in terms of the cpu.

I would go the i7 route if you don't mind spending the money. Otherwise, get one of the i5s and a mobo with good overclocking capabilities.

Just now, Magikarpdrowned said:

I would go the i7 route if you don't mind spending the money. Otherwise, get one of the i5s and a mobo with good overclocking capabilities.

what about the xeon? i mean it has more Ghz.

All depends on how much you are willing to spend, and if you are willing to spend money past the original bump to get a good mobo to go along. Also, not all GHz are created equal. There are 8 core AMD chips that OC to 5GHz that perform worse than a well overclocked i3.

The Xeon doesn't have more, the i5 is faster turboed.  An i7 isn't exactly future proofing, people still use ivy/sandy i5's today in their rigs so a Skylake non k i5 should be more than ample. 

3 minutes ago, DJMasHup007 said:

Also, looking at user benchmark scores, the 6700 performs far better than the Xeon in every category they measured.

1 minute ago, Magikarpdrowned said:

Also, looking at user benchmark scores, the 6700 performs far better than the Xeon in every category they measured.

can you send me a website where i can check spu benchmarks?

49 minutes ago, DJMasHup007 said:

Hello guys!

Because you are going to do some media creation work ;Go for i7 6700, with more cache memory ,hyper threading technology you will get better performance over i5 in media creation work, What HT technology do is instead of allocating each core with each thread 4 cores with 4 threads, it allocates each core with 2 threads, this will really help you in media creation work, but if you are building your pc for gaming only i5 is enough.

2 hours ago, DJMasHup007 said:

I would go with Xeon because it is a bit more powerful than i7. Remember that you need a mobo that supports Xeons so it needs a C-starting chipset. Luckily there are new ones from Asrock and Asus. I5 is not a choice. I have i5 6600k oc:d to 4.5 Ghz and it is horrible experience to do video editing. Luckily i'm upgrading to Xeon E5-1660 v3.

I'm Linus too. (:

2 hours ago, DJMasHup007 said:

Also Xeon E5-16xx v3 CPU:s are unlocked so you can overclock E5-1620 v3. For me that would be easy choice.

I'm Linus too. (:

13 hours ago, Marziman said:

Not true.  With the new Z170 chipset you can OC non K sku Skylake CPU's via the BCLK since it's independent from the PCI-E slot.

Well they did allow overclocking non k skews but z170 boards are starting to have bios updates which disable it again,

15 hours ago, DJMasHup007 said:

For gaming, the i5 would be plenty. Media creation indicates to me streaming or rendering video out, which will benefit GREATLY from the hyper-threading on the i7 or Xeon. As you aren't opting for a K SKU of the i7, the Xeon is a better choice imo. If you want to overclock, go instead for the i7-6700k if it's within your price range.

12 hours ago, Strom said:

Also Xeon E5-16xx v3 CPU:s are unlocked so you can overclock E5-1620 v3. For me that would be easy choice.

Can you source that for me please?

I would seriously wait for new architecture. An i5 (any of them) are, indeed, an upgrade from what you have, but it's not enough to justify the cost IMO. 

But that's all you.

I have the same CPU and the only way I'm upgrading is if I can grab a 4790k or 6700k, otherwise I'll be waiting. 

5 hours ago, Woonatic said:

Well they did allow overclocking non k skews but z170 boards are starting to have bios updates which disable it again,

This is why we can't have nice things! Intel probably said something like

Intel:  What you guys are doing is great, you know?  OC'ing our peasant non oc'able CPUs is a great idea really.

Intel: Could you tone it down a bit though?  Like get rid of it?  These people are starting to get more for their money!