EOS Rebel T3 good for filming?

Clanscorpia

Hello, My grandpa gave me his old Canon EOS Rebel T3 today and I've been thinking about making a tech talk show and channel for a while and I thought with this camera I'd finally be able to do that. Will this camera produce good 1080p filming? I already know the photos are amazing (I've already got a few good ones of my family) but I'd really like to start filming. Thanks! I also have the EFS 18-55mm Lens and EFS 55-250mm Lens.

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

1 minute ago, Clanscorpia said:

snip

If that's all you have and cannot afford to buy another camera, sure 720p video is not that bad.  You will need to get an audio recorded like a Zoom H1 though, as the camera doesn't seem to have a mic port.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

DSLR Guide is a YT channel made by Simon Cade, who makes very good looking video with a T3i. I'm not sure about audio with that, but the video should be fine. Check out this thread that was started a while ago, discussing a beginner video setup.

So thanks for reading guys, if this post sucked, I'm not sure what you can do, but if you liked it, go 'head and hit that like button, or maybe add me as a friend. Otherwise, go subscribe to LinusTechTips on YouTube, follow them on Twitch, follow @LinusTech on Twitter, and support them by using their affiliate code on Amazon, buying a cool T-shirt, or supporting them directly on this community forum.

3 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Hello, My grandpa gave me his old Canon EOS Rebel T3 today and I've been thinking about making a tech talk show and channel for a while and I thought with this camera I'd finally be able to do that. Will this camera produce good 1080p filming? I already know the photos are amazing (I've already got a few good ones of my family) but I'd really like to start filming. Thanks! I also have the EFS 18-55mm Lens and EFS 55-250mm Lens.

It'll be good for a talk show at 720p and only that, the reason being its autofocus in video is shite. Set it to manual focus, focus on your face in the talk show, and problem solved.

And please get a mic - lots of people who, when they get started with video, completely leave out sound and use shoddy in-camera audio.

Primary Build: i7-4790 · 16GB Hynix DDR3-1600 · Sapphire Tri-X R9 390x · NZXT S340 · Win10 Pro · Seagate Barracuda 1TB T_T

Portable: 2015 Retina Macbook Pro 13" · i5-5257u · 512GB PCIe SSD · Intel Iris 6100 T_T

If my post helped you, please rate it!

Just now, ALwin said:

If that's all you have and cannot afford to buy another camera, sure 720p video is not that bad.  You will need to get an audio recorded like a Zoom H1 though, as the camera doesn't seem to have a mic port.

I'm planning on using an Audio Technica mic.

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Just now, Clanscorpia said:

You'll need an external recorder anyway - you can't plug a mic into the T3i.

Primary Build: i7-4790 · 16GB Hynix DDR3-1600 · Sapphire Tri-X R9 390x · NZXT S340 · Win10 Pro · Seagate Barracuda 1TB T_T

Portable: 2015 Retina Macbook Pro 13" · i5-5257u · 512GB PCIe SSD · Intel Iris 6100 T_T

If my post helped you, please rate it!

Just now, Clanscorpia said:

As I said, the camera doesn't have a port for connecting a mic.  So you will need to record the audio externally.  It doesn't matter to me which mic you use.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Just now, sushisharkjl said:

You'll need an external recorder anyway - you can't plug a mic into the T3i.

Just now, ALwin said:

As I said, the camera doesn't have a port for connecting a mic.  So you will need to record the audio externally.  It doesn't matter to me which mic you use.

I know that much :P

Spoiler

AXIOM