ssd for virtual environment?

ghost001985

i will be soon running proxmox VE on a Xeon x5690 on a X8STi with 12GB ddr3 ecc, i have a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB that i would like to run in it, but i do not know what ill be gaining if i use an ssd. or if the OS will just kill the sdd in like a year. does anyone running a VE on an ssd?

38 minutes ago, ghost001985 said:

i will be soon running proxmox VE on a Xeon x5690 on a X8STi with 12GB ddr3 ecc, i have a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB that i would like to run in it, but i do not know what ill be gaining if i use an ssd. or if the OS will just kill the sdd in like a year. does anyone running a VE on an ssd?

Really depends on TRIM support or not, without it you will kill that EVO quick ish. Cost, size and reliability are all getting better quickly so it's not something I would worry about too much if you can afford to replace it in 1-3 years. Personally I use 840/850 Pros for the same thing you are wanting to do but since I'm using Windows Storage Spaces with iSCSI to my ESXi servers I have TRIM support.

Also just be aware the performance without TRIM can actually be shockingly bad so do a test after a week or two of running it just to see if it is handling it well enough.

6 hours ago, leadeater said:

Really depends on TRIM support or not, without it you will kill that EVO quick ish. Cost, size and reliability are all getting better quickly so it's not something I would worry about too much if you can afford to replace it in 1-3 years. Personally I use 840/850 Pros for the same thing you are wanting to do but since I'm using Windows Storage Spaces with iSCSI to my ESXi servers I have TRIM support.

Also just be aware the performance without TRIM can actually be shockingly bad so do a test after a week or two of running it just to see if it is handling it well enough.

ok, proxmox VE does look like supports trim. my other option is a 750GB western digital 2.5 black.

7 minutes ago, ghost001985 said:

ok, proxmox VE does look like supports trim. my other option is a 750GB western digital 2.5 black.

even if hte performance of an 850 evo degrades due to lack of TRIM, it will almost assuredly outperform a 2.5" WD Black.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

22 hours ago, ghost001985 said:

It looks like it does -- https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/proxmox-ve-on-a-ssd.8662/

Virtual machines on an SSD generate tons of I/O, which SSDs excel at.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

I use an SSD in an ESX 5.1 - server for cache and makes a very noticeable difference (the Datastore is still on regular SAS - disks but the SSD is used as cache).

I recommend using the SSD as cache and putting the VM on rotational disks

Alternatively let the Rotational drives look after the storage on the VMs (Data that isnt used much ) and have the VMs use the SSD for the boot drive, That would give you the best performance benefit.

With VMware ESX 5.x you can even split the SSD usage as part "Datastore" and part for SSD Cache.

To be clear: the SSD Cache on ESX is mainly for writing-purpose and won't store data for long (so not like a SSHD).

I run a lot of Samsung 850s (in RAID) on servers and my biggest recommendation is to over provision them when using them.

-KuJoe