Freenas vs Synology OS

ghost001985

im currently looking to upgrade my nas/ftp, which is a dual core amd 6 drive running linux mint. ive been looking at the asrock motherboard C2550D4I, with 16gb ecc for, and i planning the WD Red 6TB to replace the greens im using now.

ok, i did some testing with Freenas when i setup my ftp server in virtualbox. had a 1gb drive and an 8gb drive, i mounted the 8gb made a folder and pointed both CIFS and the ftp to it. using 3g on my phone i connected to the public ip and copied a file to it, check on my computer with CIFS and it wasnt there. so i loaded filezilla used the local ip and connected to the ftp and there is was? ? has anyone seen and/or found a work around for this?

also i see Synology OS can be downloaded. has anyone played with it and or does anyone know if windows share and the ftp work the way i want it?

Friend of mine running the Synology OS and it does work well yes, haven't used it myself. Far as functionality it is exactly like a real Synology and performance is often better, hardware permitting.

Windows will work. You don't have to use the native FTP server either if you don't like it, many alternatives you can install.

I ran XPEnology on my nas. Everything worked flawlessly! I'd personally say it's better than freenas.

My native language is C++