DirecTV Box Mod/ Hidden PC.

GoZone

I have a lot these around and DirecTV cable is almost dead in this point and wondering if I can build a mini PC out of this? I have seen some videos about this but I need some help finding parts.

image.jpeg

"Simple Yet Complex" 

I think you could if you did some case modding and get rid of that circuit board. Just get all the components needed for a PC, and use some PCI-E extenders to connect the GPU, however, you would need a small CPU cooler and PSU outside the case :/

PC Specs: 
CPU: i7-5930K | Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX | GPU: GeForce GTX 980 Ti | Mobo: ASRock X99 Extreme4 | Memory: HyperX Fury Black 16GB | Storage: SeaGate 2TB & SanDisk 120GB SSD | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/ Window | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W Gold Cert | Monitors: (x2) Acer S220HQL | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB |

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Would take an assload of tinkering, but chances are, it's possible.

Yeah its done before but CPU fans are a b*tch when the last person did this before.

"Simple Yet Complex" 

14 minutes ago, UGame_ said:

I think you could if you did some case modding and get rid of that circuit board. Just get all the components needed for a PC, and use some PCI-E extenders to connect the GPU, however, you would need a small CPU cooler and PSU outside the case :/

Him.., this will not be a gaming PC for sure but what kind of Motherboard should I get.

"Simple Yet Complex" 

Depends on what you mod it to be. If you mod the case to support ATX, then you would get an ATX motherboard. I would suggest you mod the case to support Micro ATX or micro ITX because they are smaller. 

PC Specs: 
CPU: i7-5930K | Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX | GPU: GeForce GTX 980 Ti | Mobo: ASRock X99 Extreme4 | Memory: HyperX Fury Black 16GB | Storage: SeaGate 2TB & SanDisk 120GB SSD | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/ Window | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W Gold Cert | Monitors: (x2) Acer S220HQL | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB |

1 minute ago, UGame_ said:

Depends on what you mod it to be. If you mod the case to support ATX, then you would get an ATX motherboard. I would suggest you mod the case to support Micro ATX or micro ITX because they are smaller. 

I have an ATX board but its too damn big so micro motherboards should work.

"Simple Yet Complex" 

Update: I finally found a way to take all the old compents out just need to find parts for this build now.

image.jpeg

"Simple Yet Complex" 

Update: I finally found a way to take all the old compents out just need to find parts for this build now.

image.thumb.jpeg.de09624c642a36910f379f10ac2cb099.jpeg

I would suggest mini itx if possible. If you don't need tons of performance, they have itx boards with a CPU and heatsink pre-installed.

`