Quantum Break will not be coming to Steam - Windows Store Exclusive

Ok. So let me express my actual opinion on this. "Wait what? GoodBytes will say something bad about this, or Microsoft! Places everybody! Places! Shhhhhhh..."

Ok so, first of all, for this game in particular, I don't really care. I saw the trailers and I don't see anything to be excited about. I don't get impressed with "Ohhh DirectX 20!!!", or "Ohhh Vulkan!!!". Increase textures detail, increase visuals (shaders) all costs money, and requires more and more experts to develop it, and usually, game story, and QC gets a hit.  And early games of new graphics APIs are not that great, and they are not well optimized, and usually, in most cases, marketing.

So, ignoring the game itself. I am talking about having games in the Windows Store vs Steam. Ideally, the game is released on both, and let the consumer be open. But Microsoft is publishing the game, and it initially was XBox One only, and Microsoft under Satya is refocusing on PC gaming, after years, no... over a decade of almost ignoring. So, cross-play will definitely be something that Microsoft will push as a unique feature. Cool neat feature. It would be cooler if getting the game on either platform, at any time, you get both, and not just a pre-order of the XBox One game. But ok, first steps. Microsoft has A LOT of catching up to do.

But here is where is the issues, and I think is the reason why people are most annoyed:

-> Because it has been over 10 years that Microsoft put minimal effort in PC gaming, with let's be honest, was about to die before Steam, and Microsoft didn't care, because XBOX! And all this was not helped with the flip flopping actions of the company making Microsoft release less than half baked products to be immediately killed, and hurt the consumers. 2 big examples of this is: Vista Game folder, and Games for Windows Live.

Vista introduced the "games corner" if you want to call it that. Installed Games would register with the OS and display in the games folder. The idea, is that saved games would be stored in the nice "Saved Games" folders, for easy backup/restore, and organization, Have 1 central place to get all your saves. From Windows explorer window when going in the Games folders, you see updated high-scores, or game progress, and supposed to have awards, and based on an interview I recall before the OS was released. Windows Update would handle games updates. A big problem at the time, is that back in the old old days, pre-Steam days, you were responsible for checking updates of your games. So you had to dig the website, find the download, many times behind registration which was different for every game, despite the same publisher, and the download was put on this slow ass server, plus many times the updates was not properly tested and ends up with a broken game. And multiplayer games forced you to go through this, as many times you could not play with your friends if you had different versions of the game. Plus, let's not forget, many devs were too lazy to include all the files it actually needs to run the game, so you were missing stuff like DirectX runtime and C++ redistributable libraries, which you had to figure out which version you needed and install to get the freaking game working, all because the dev was too lazy to include the freaking thing in the setup. No to mention annoying DRM systems which sometimes would conflict with others, and overly long serial number to put. What a mess. So this promise feature from Vista, while not perfect was HUGELY welcomes...well as you can see, this never materialized. The Game Folders was not completed.

Than Microsoft return back with "we are focusing on gaming!", and works on a Steam competitor Games For Windows Live. On paper, it finishes what was missing from Vista. But clearly development was kill before the product was released, and hurt PC gaming once more. It was plagued with bugs left and right, stuck in infinite update loops many times, and would break if you had another game using the same DRM system. Moreover, the store system, had 0 specials, prices never decreased, and offered nothing over Steam, beside certification that the XBox 360 controller would work properly. Yay?! The freaking thing was never really updated, and died quickly.

The above created a bad taste with Microsoft + PC gaming.

While in Windows 10, the XBox team have need doing absolutely a fantastic job (compared to what we see from the company related to PC gaming) with Windows 10, the overlay does miss features, like what was mentioned here: embedded in game chat. Yes, I know so far, I contract my view. But here is why? I want Skype integration. Steam chat system sucks. Voice chat is worst than a phone quality, text chat does not sync conversations between systems, let alone keep chat history. So what is my problem? Skype team. When Skype works, it is amazing chat and video/voice chat system... when it works. The problem is that the Skype team, I am sure, if we all go to the Microsoft office and look at their office, they'll be surfing the web, and not actually do work. Skype for desktop still doesn't have high-DPI support, the Windows 8 Skype app, was half baked. Heck even the Windows 10 Universal App, is for some reason split as 2 apps, and you don't have the most basic features, like sending files or images. And it doesn't work with a Skype account. Microsoft account only. Using Skype desktop with a touch screen device, like a Surface Pro, good luck! You can't open a conversation to chat with someone. So, I know they'll continue doing a botch job until Microsoft fires everyone form the Skype team and get more interested developers and manager. Or at least, the managers for not pushing the developers properly. I don't know, I am no experts. But, one thing I hate seeing is waste talent in any company.

Microsoft is trying to bring the Windows Store as THE place for all, including hard core gaming. The problem is that if you check the game section of the store.. what do you see? Smartphone games mostly... when is PC games linked to smartphone games? It deevaluates PC games, in my opinion.  In addition, you have no links to a community, game reviews that is more than regional, and so on. The Store is too simple.

The worst part is that it will never get to where Steam is, even if it has all Steam feature + more. Why? Valve hires economist and psychologies experts, to make sure that YOUR game (as a developer), SALES. No other stores system does this. All the Steam specials, is not just random specials. Everything is calculated. Microsoft store does not do this. So, you, as a developers, why would you bother sale it anywhere else?

So, all in all, it is nice that Microsoft does return to PC gaming, with actual effort. But they have YEARS of catchup to do, so it will take time before everything is nice and neat, and that is assuming that the company does this continuous effort. It is not good that Steam has a monopoly. The front end had little to no changes over the years. There is a lot of works to make PC gaming better, but Valve is not interested, as there is no competition.

I think GOG Galaxy will be a closer ticket right now as being a competitor to Steam, but right now, it is a nice promising project. Slowly forming and molding itself with more and more features, and get everyone solid. So we will see in 1 or 2 years times.

So, I am open and willing to encourage any competitor to Steam, but I understand why people have issues with Microsoft. I feel them too. I just hope that this time, it will remain serious. The only reason why I am hopeful, is because of Satya. If it was under Balmer control, I would start betting another half ass job, due to canceling mid way, and releasing, and re-focusing XBox with TV and lock things down.

19 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

It is not good that Steam has a monopoly. The front end had little to no changes over the years. There is a lot of works to make PC gaming better, but Valve is not interested, as there is no competition.

I don't really know if you can call Steam a monopoly. They don't really fit any of the definitions of monopoly.

They do have the biggest market share. But it's not without competition. Origin is no slouch. And in addition there are are a number of smaller players like gog. And devs who are popular enough are able to sell directly (like Blizzard and RSI).

Leave it to Microsoft to fuck up a good thing.

(Cough Windows 98 Cough)

17 minutes ago, Humbug said:

I don't really know if you can call Steam a monopoly. They don't really fit any of the definitions of monopoly.

They do have the biggest market share. But it's not without competition. Origin is no slouch. And in addition there are are a number of smaller players like gog. And devs who are popular enough are able to sell directly (like Blizzard and RSI).

When you have a massive marketshare, potentially reaching 90%, it is pretty much a monopoly.

See: Windows back in the 90's and early 2000s. Heck, even now, if we only look at desktop/laptop space.

8 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

When you have a massive marketshare, potentially reaching 90%, it is pretty much a monopoly.

Steam is probably more like 50%-70% according to Forbes in 2011. Since then they have grown but so has competition. They are certainly not 90%.

Disagree about the monopoly thing as there are no barriers to entry, or exclusivity deals, or control of supply etc or any of the monopoly characteristics...

But it's not worth arguing about; I get what you're saying. You're saying Steam needs a competitor with comparable market  share...

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

The worst part is that it will never get to where Steam is, even if it has all Steam feature + more. Why? Valve hires economist and psychologies experts, to make sure that YOUR game (as a developer), SALES. No other stores system does this. All the Steam specials, is not just random specials. Everything is calculated. Microsoft store does not do this. So, you, as a developers, why would you bother sale it anywhere else?

This is probably the biggest reason imo. I honestly encourage windows 10 store. It's a neat idea and competition is great. However, it's just so damn impractical, especially for indie developers. Considering that indie games are one of the biggest and best aspects of pc gaming, they are missing out on a lot.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Microsoft is trying to bring the Windows Store as THE place for all, including hard core gaming. The problem is that if you check the game section of the store.. what do you see? Smartphone games mostly... when is PC games linked to smartphone games? It deevaluates PC games, in my opinion.  In addition, you have no links to a community, game reviews that is more than regional, and so on. The Store is too simple.

Ok I hear you on this but I'm pretty sure Microsoft could just add a section for PC Gaming.

second: The Windows Store is already accessible to more people then there are Steam users. Note that I said accessible, not used. It will probably take years for people to take the habit of looking at the store first but it doesnt mean it wont. And it's really not like sales are rocket science. *look at steam, Rise of the Tomb Raider is at 63$, put it at 60$ on the store and people will buy it just to save a buck. But it will take time.)

The biggest issue with the windows store right now is that as far as I'm aware, there's only 1 PC game on it.

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

See: Windows back in the 90's and early 2000s. Heck, even now, if we only look at desktop/laptop space.

steam doesn't even reach 50% in marketshare. Steam is not a monopoly, having the largest share of the pie doesn't mean that they are a monopoly, Windows is a monopoly, not Steam.

one quick search

Steam doesn't even control 20%. In this stage if MS plays their card right, they're more in line of gaining monopoly status for the simple fact that they can force the Windows Store and Xbox down everybody throats more easily than any of the third parties. Hopefully they play their cards wrong, and this crashes faster than GFWL

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

steam doesn't even reach 50% in marketshare. Steam is not a monopoly, having the largest share of the pie doesn't mean that they are a monopoly, Windows is a monopoly, not Steam.

one quick search

Steam doesn't even control 20%. In this stage if MS plays their card right, they're more in line of gaining monopoly status for the simple fact that they can force the Windows Store and Xbox down everybody throats more easily than any of the third parties. Hopefully they play their cards wrong, and this crashes faster than GFWL

So, who has the rest, in the PC gaming world? And I am sorry, saying retail store, is BS, because so many games at retail stores, install Steams and simply download the game. To me, I consider that Steam sale, even if the retailer, technically.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

So, who has the rest, in the PC gaming world? And I am sorry, saying retail store, is BS, because so many games at retail stores, install Steams and simply download the game. To me, I consider that Steam sale, even if the retailer, technically.

activating a game on Steam doesn't count as a sale for Steam. And the rest of the market share is simply: the others

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

10 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

activating a game on Steam doesn't count as a sale for Steam. And the rest of the market share is simply: the others

So, there you go. I am going: "If it touches Steam in any level, then it part of Steam market share".

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

So, there you go. I am going: "If it touches Steam in any level, then it part of the market share of Steam".

Even if you go that way, Steam still stands at 15% market share, therefore: still Not a monopoly, if I also go by your way of looking at things: Windows Store as the majority in market share and is closer to being a monopoly then Valve will ever be for the simple fact that it's pre loaded on every machine running 8, 8.1 and 10 which should represent a third of the global PC market share

2 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Even if you go that way, Steam still stands at 15% market share, therefore: still Not a monopoly, if I also go by your way of looking at things: Windows Store as the majority in market share and is closer to being a monopoly then Valve will ever be for the simple fact that it's pre loaded on every machine running 8, 8.1 and 10 which should represent a third of the global PC market share

So then who has the 85%?

Just now, GoodBytes said:

So then who has the 85%?

"others"

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Exactly my point. Have your argumentation prepared next time.

my argument is prepared: 15% -> Steam, rest -> others

as simple as that

games for vista repeat anyone? 

Ultimate XP gaming system build log coming soon!  Q8200 // 8GB DDR2 // Asus P5E Deluxe X48 // Asus 4870 DARK KNIGHT X-Fire // Supreme FX sound // BFG Ageia PhysX PCI Co-Processor // AX 860x with Silverstone extensions 

Wow how shocking, Microsoft is using their Microsoft store and not using other stores where they would make less profit per copy sold.

Very shocking, everyone is shocked, I am shocked!

Outrage, hysteria, madness, confusion!

Seriously this shouldn't even be news...

On 2/14/2016 at 10:39 PM, Samfisher said:

Source : http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/quantum_break_will_not_be_coming_to_steam_-_windows_store_exclusive/1

Source : http://majornelson.com/podcast/mnr-563-quantum-break-news-and-more/

11094950410l.jpg

So.... Who made the brilliant idea to make a game Windows Store exclusive?? Who does that?  I'm just waiting for this to not sell at all and then for the devs to go "PC is a dead platform, we won't make a PC version anymore".  There's so much face palm going on here...

Cool. We need to be rid of  Steam and use the Windows Store. Cos Steam has recently been making too many mistakes.

I agree with your assessment of the future of Xbox by the way. It will just be PCs with the Metro Live Tile screen and running Universal apps and games from Windows Store.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

On 2/14/2016 at 2:28 PM, -BirdiE- said:

I know you said "sure"... but you really weren't able to do what I asked. There are no Ubisoft games on Origin, or EA games on Microsoft Store, or any other combination... Other than Steam. I still have to download Uplay AND Origin AND Battle.net launcher to play all the games that I want to play.

Also, clearly you're intentionally being dense. 1) This is being discussed from the consumer side of things. 2) Independently developing my own game does not stop me from having to download Uplay AND Origin AND Battle.net launcher to play the games that I want to play.

https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/browse/ubisoft

Even though they were pulled from the store within the client, they're still available in their store on their website...

i don't really care i got 5 seasons of anime for free on windows store, netflix app works better than the browser app

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

On 15/02/2016 at 8:58 AM, EChondo said:

Oh I totally agree with you. Steam has been pretty stagnant with new features/updates for their client/store, Origin has been quite slower but also doesn't have any issues from how much I used it, and Uplay got a major face lift for their client, but the recent use I put into it(Division beta) I never ran into any issues since it really isn't needed, it's just there to start a game and gets out of the way. So I gotta give Ubi props on that one, but I really have no use for it since none of the games I'm playing or interested in are Ubisoft games lol.

I semi-agree with the Xbone guys here, because during the Gamescon 2014 Xbox presentation they said it would be an exclusive on "Xbox"(it should go to the correct time, if not then skip to 52:16): 

I mean, I don't think "exclusively available on Xbox" can be meant in any other way. So it's a little disingenuous to turn around and also release it on PC.

Having said that, it does bother me in some way since I can compare it to if Star Citizen, for some reason, came out and said it's also releasing on consoles. My immediate thought isn't "those dirty peasants" it's "well are they now going to cripple the PC experience to bring it in line with a smoother console release?". But hey that's just my take. I'm assuming very few of the Xbone guys complaining about this are thinking "those PC plebs don't deserve it" but most are probably thinking "well now that it's going to another platform, my console purchase doesn't feel so validated anymore". Which is fine to think that, I certainly wouldn't, but valuing your purchase can be a very sentiment thing for some and not having that "exclusivity" feel is probably why all these people are whining.

But hey, that's what I'm interpreting this as, probably wrong here.

I think the problem here is interpretation. After watching that section of the video I noticed that he said 'exclusive to Xbox'. Most people think of consoles when they think of Xbox. This is incorrect because windows 10 comes with Xbox integration. It has its own Xbox application. He never said it was an Xbox 'ONE' exclusive. Personally my biggest worry is the game coming out and not supporting multi gpu or full screen just like the recently released Rise of the Tombraider due to an issue with the way the Windows store works. 

so......... I just open Windows store and purchase instead of Steam.

Wow, such a controversy. o.O

First Xbone people complain about it being on PC, now PC group is complaining about it being on Windows Store?

Just stop the nonsense and be glad you could play a game that otherwise would have been Xbone exclusive. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP

Surely this wi ll just do the same thing for the release as happened for the new tomb raider... its just bombed...super hard.

Hi!  Please quote me in replies otherwise I may not see your response!