Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
alexjt11

Building a rendering server

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi, I have no idea about server grade components and was inspired by the build linus did with the dual cpu server grade computer, which was cheap as chips :D

I want to beable to do what LTT do where they ingest footage and transcode it, as I do lots of editing work and it takes so long with a i7 3700.

I will need hyper threading and really I want someone to suggest some components that are relatively cheap maybe $500.

6 minutes ago, alexjt11 said:

Hi, I have no idea about server grade components and was inspired by the build linus did with the dual cpu server grade computer, which was cheap as chips :D

I want to beable to do what LTT do where they ingest footage and transcode it, as I do lots of editing work and it takes so long with a i7 3700.

I will need hyper threading and really I want someone to suggest some components that are relatively cheap maybe $500.

i would use e5 2670's . But dual socket lga 2011 boards are expensive. If you want , you can pick up two westmere EP 10 core xeons for even cheaper , and get a dual lga 1366 or dual lga 1567 board , which are also cheaper.

Edit , also westmere xeons can be overclocked.

AMD Ryzen 7 3.8ghz at 1.3V Corsair vengeance LPX 8GB 2800mhz @ 3200mhz CAS 16 + 2*4GB micron ballistics @ 3200mhz cas 16 ;Gigabyte ga-ab350-Gaming 3; cooler master nepton 240M ; CF r9 290x tri x + r9 290 tri x ; CX750M PSU ; SPEC 03 case with 9 120mm fans ; windows 10 64 bit