Gaming Build Help.

kLc
Go to solution Solved by Savir,

Get two sticks of 4gb if you can afford it. What games do you play? Most games perform better with the R9 390 over the GTX 970. That power supply isn't very good for $80. I would recommend this one: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20550y1. If you go with the r9 390 you should get a higher PSU(thats jus me), but 550W will do just fine.

Ok, I need opinions from you guys to see if there's any room for improvements.
I'll playing most if not all triple A titles at 1080p. Don't plan on going 1440/ 4k yet.

This build cost around 1000$ in my country due to tax, shipping, etc. 

Intel Core i5-6400

MSI B150M BAZOOKA

Corsair Memory Single 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz

ZOTAC GTX 970 4GB DDR5 (Dual Fan ver.) 

Seasonic M12II 620W Evo

TOSHIBA 1TB 7200RPM HDD

Thermaltake Versa H25 Mid Tower Case

BenQ GL2460HM

Thanks in advance! :)

2 minutes ago, kLc said:

I'll playing most if not all triple A titles at 1080p. Don't plan on going 1440/ 4k yet.

Intel Core i5-6400

MSI B150M BAZOOKA

Seasonic M12II 620W Evo

TOSHIBA 1TB 7200RPM HDD

BenQ GL2460HM

I'd get dual channel memory because that will improve performance because it will increase memory bandwidth

Get two sticks of 4gb if you can afford it. What games do you play? Most games perform better with the R9 390 over the GTX 970. That power supply isn't very good for $80. I would recommend this one: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20550y1. If you go with the r9 390 you should get a higher PSU(thats jus me), but 550W will do just fine.

I would recommend getting an SSD if you can stretch the budget enough. An SSD is great.

16 minutes ago, kLc said:

Intel Core i5-6400

MSI B150M BAZOOKA

Seasonic M12II 620W Evo

TOSHIBA 1TB 7200RPM HDD

BenQ GL2460HM

I'd get a Haswell system, 390, and with the money you saved, get an A-DATA SP550 120gb ssd

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Just now, luke8733 said:

I would recommend getting an SSD if you can stretch the budget enough. An SSD is great.

Yes an SSD will make it much more "snappy"

36 minutes ago, alexc026 said:

I'd get dual channel memory because that will improve performance because it will increase memory bandwidth

Meaning I'll have to get 2 4gb memory of the same spec? If so, will do! :)

34 minutes ago, Savir said:

I'll be playing Tomb Raider, Witcher 3, Naruto Storm 4, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Just Cause 3, Far Cry 4, COD series, Crysis etc.  Unfortunately, I can't find any EVGA's PSU in my country.. Actually I'm still in a dilemma whether to get the r9 390/ gtx 970. The r9's extra Vram is really tempting! 

24 minutes ago, luke8733 said:

I'll definitely get a SSD after I have enough saving lol. 

If I may ask, what country you live in and what currency you have? It would help in me budgeting.  But, I did a pc part picker build using USD.  It goes 31USD over your original cost, due to SSD and fans. This system would be fairly silent as well.  If you need any other help, or I didn't quite get what you were saying, please reply to this post, I'm happy to help.  

5 hours ago, Clay C said:

If I may ask, what country you live in and what currency you have? It would help in me budgeting.  But, I did a pc part picker build using USD.  It goes 31USD over your original cost, due to SSD and fans. This system would be fairly silent as well.  If you need any other help, or I didn't quite get what you were saying, please reply to this post, I'm happy to help.  

My bad, I'm from Malaysia using Malaysian Ringgit (MYR). The 1000$ is just rough conversion. It's around 4.25k MYR for this build without additional case fan, OS, ssd. I'll be reusing mouse and keyboard tho. Thanks for concerning ;)

14 hours ago, kLc said:

Meaning I'll have to get 2 4gb memory of the same spec? If so, will do! :)

I'll be playing Tomb Raider, Witcher 3, Naruto Storm 4, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Just Cause 3, Far Cry 4, COD series, Crysis etc.  Unfortunately, I can't find any EVGA's PSU in my country.. Actually I'm still in a dilemma whether to get the r9 390/ gtx 970. The r9's extra Vram is really tempting! 

I'll definitely get a SSD after I have enough saving lol. 

You should look up specific benchmarks of those games comparing the GTX 970 and R9 390. You can make your decision from there.

5 hours ago, Clay C said:

Ahh, but your budget is $1000USD or $4.25kMYR?

My budget is 4.3k MYR. Due to tax, shipping cost, etc the build I listed here costs around 850 USD for example but in my country I have to fork out 1000USD. But let's not worry about that. Considering this build, is there any better alternatives around the same price range?

3 hours ago, Savir said:

You should look up specific benchmarks of those games comparing the GTX 970 and R9 390. You can make your decision from there.

I'd pick the R9 390. 

Hi Fellow malaysian :)
not sure you want to go with the r9 390. coz u know it produces more heat than the gtx, and also comsumes more power. Unless your house is 24/7 air conditioned, i'd say go with the gtx970.

i was on dilemma too during my pc build. considering between the r9 390x and gtx970 amp extreme core.

found out that its better that u get the gtx970 if you're just gaming in 1080p.

but if you are going for 1440p or 4k, then by all means get the 390 or 390x.

CPU i7-6700k Motherboard MSI Z170A GAMING M5 RAM KINGSTON HYPERX FURY 2X4GB GPU ZOTAC GEFORCE GTX970 AMP! EXTREME CORE EDITION Case COUGAR ATX Storage WESTERN DIGITAL BLUE 1TB PSU CORSAIR RM650X Display(s) AOC G2460PQU 24" Cooling COOLER MASTER HYPER 103 CPU COOLER Keyboard CORSAIR STRAFE RGB Mouse CORSAIR M65 RGB Sound MICROLAB FC360/RAZER KRAKEN 7.1 CHROMA/AUDIO TECHNICA M50X Operating System WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE

1 hour ago, ic3panda said:

Hi Fellow malaysian :)
not sure you want to go with the r9 390. coz u know it produces more heat than the gtx, and also comsumes more power. Unless your house is 24/7 air conditioned, i'd say go with the gtx970.

i was on dilemma too during my pc build. considering between the r9 390x and gtx970 amp extreme core.

found out that its better that u get the gtx970 if you're just gaming in 1080p.

but if you are going for 1440p or 4k, then by all means get the 390 or 390x.

Hello,  glad to hear from another Malaysian. Yeah I'm aware of the heat generated but will it be okay if there's proper ventilation? One front, one bottomed as intake, one stock at the back and one more on top as exhaust. Will be using Cm sickleflow x 120mm. 

Besides, is it operating at a way hotter temperature? Based on some feedback it seems running fine. 10 degrees higher? I'll be getting the sapphire's btw. 

16 hours ago, kLc said:

Hello,  glad to hear from another Malaysian. Yeah I'm aware of the heat generated but will it be okay if there's proper ventilation? One front, one bottomed as intake, one stock at the back and one more on top as exhaust. Will be using Cm sickleflow x 120mm. 

Besides, is it operating at a way hotter temperature? Based on some feedback it seems running fine. 10 degrees higher? I'll be getting the sapphire's btw. 

not sure if the airflow will help much.

my card is the zotac gtx970 amp extreme core edition. this card is base clocked.

i have my case window opened, air conditioned and a stand fan facing towards it, and my card still reaches 60 degrees.

well, in malaysia i dont think more fans would matter, as you will be intaking hot airs LOL.

Anyways, if you are going for ATI cards, may i suggest you to get the 390x? 

i still think it has a reasonable price giving that it has same price as my gtx970 but has more performance.

So, in future, maybe if u want to swap your card for a 970, you can swap with me xD

yup. the sapphire card is definitely the best choice, as it is way cheaper compared to other brands, and still have lots of good reviews of it.

CPU i7-6700k Motherboard MSI Z170A GAMING M5 RAM KINGSTON HYPERX FURY 2X4GB GPU ZOTAC GEFORCE GTX970 AMP! EXTREME CORE EDITION Case COUGAR ATX Storage WESTERN DIGITAL BLUE 1TB PSU CORSAIR RM650X Display(s) AOC G2460PQU 24" Cooling COOLER MASTER HYPER 103 CPU COOLER Keyboard CORSAIR STRAFE RGB Mouse CORSAIR M65 RGB Sound MICROLAB FC360/RAZER KRAKEN 7.1 CHROMA/AUDIO TECHNICA M50X Operating System WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE

13 minutes ago, ic3panda said:

not sure if the airflow will help much.

my card is the zotac gtx970 amp extreme core edition. this card is base clocked.

i have my case window opened, air conditioned and a stand fan facing towards it, and my card still reaches 60 degrees.

well, in malaysia i dont think more fans would matter, as you will be intaking hot airs LOL.

Anyways, if you are going for ATI cards, may i suggest you to get the 390x? 

i still think it has a reasonable price giving that it has same price as my gtx970 but has more performance.

So, in future, maybe if u want to swap your card for a 970, you can swap with me xD

yup. the sapphire card is definitely the best choice, as it is way cheaper compared to other brands, and still have lots of good reviews of it.

390x seems way beyond my budget bro. Getting a r9 390 here is like a hundred ringgit more than gtx 970. :(

59 minutes ago, kLc said:

390x seems way beyond my budget bro. Getting a r9 390 here is like a hundred ringgit more than gtx 970. :(

really? how much is the r9 390 over there for you?

RM 1555. While the Zotac GTX970 is priced at RM1335 ref and RM1459 dual fan. But it's okay. I think I'll go for 390 and make sure it gets cool air :P

Just now, kLc said:

RM 1555. While the Zotac GTX970 is priced at RM1335 ref and RM1459 dual fan. But it's okay. I think I'll go for 390 and make sure it gets cool air :P

but the 390x is only Rm200 more :) hehehehe

Just now, kLc said:

yea. just make sure it gets lots of air. then it should be fine! good luck on your build!

11 minutes ago, ic3panda said:

but the 390x is only Rm200 more :) hehehehe

Checked price of 390x, it's rm 19xx. That's not 200 bucks extra. Hahaha.

1 minute ago, kLc said:

Checked price of 390x, it's rm 19xx. That's not 200 bucks extra. Hahaha.

oh really? coz the place i get my parts from only sell it at RM1799 ( before discount )

31 minutes ago, ic3panda said:

oh really? coz the place i get my parts from only sell it at RM1799 ( before discount )

Where is it? Mind telling me? Hehe might ask them to build a compete rig for me, more discount I suppose. 

Just now, kLc said:

Where is it? Mind telling me? Hehe might ask them to build a compete rig for me, more discount I suppose. 

topmaid computer at lowyat plaza. you can approach them at facebook to ask them for quoting

33 minutes ago, ic3panda said:

topmaid computer at lowyat plaza. you can approach them at facebook to ask them for quoting

Cool,  thanks alot!