Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ONOTech

[In-Progress] $260 Scrap Yard PC Project - AMD Excavator, GTX 465, 8GB RAM

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

$260 Gaming PC - is it possible?

should take about 3 weeks to complete

Introduction

My little brothers needed a PC for school and their budget was about $250. I could have potentially bought them an APU and called it a day, but being the nerd I am, I researched a bit and decided to build them a somewhat decent gaming PC for $260. Here it goes

 

The Parts

Purple - ordered, Green - arrived

CPU: Athlon X4 845 - AMD's new Excavator core. It has not released yet, but I decided to pre-order it because I know it will be enough for what they do. Also, I want to try out and review Excavator & Carrizo - great time to do so. $62

Motherboard: ASUS A68HM-E - the cheapest motherboard that supports the new Athlon refresh. That's basically why I chose it. $51

Memory: 8GB DDR3-1600Mhz - cheapest 8GB kit I found. 4GB is not ideal for any type of gaming, even for multitasking to a certain extent. $29

Storage: 250GB HDD SATA - again, cheap cheap cheap. Yeah, it's small, but they can always upgrade if needed too. Their games are like 10 GB MAX each. $11

GPU: GTX 465 1GB GDDR5 - Good, old fermi. I was able to pick this up for only $45 which is a very good deal IMO. I'm excited to see how it performs in newer titles. $45

Case: DIYPC Case - Cheap, has LED fans, and USB 3.0. Perfect. $25

PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified - Cheapest power supply that can properly power the entire build (with some headroom for OC'ing if wanted). $37

 

Total: $260

 

Part 1: Parts Arriving!

Spoiler

Parts just came in (excluding the 860K - will be here tomorrow). Warning - large images. I'm using a Canon Rebel EOS SL1 w the Yungnuo 50mm lens. 

 

Graphics Card - Galaxy GTX 465

IMG_0839.thumb.JPG.59bbff17ff90be91c6ed3

 

Motherboard - A68HM-E (supports Excavator!)

IMG_0846.thumb.JPG.646f35b226f10479b49d3

IMG_0850.thumb.JPG.7b864c7b15032943b9d88

 

RAM - Averix 8GB DDR3

IMG_0852.thumb.JPG.dd056225bae6444324dd6IMG_0855.thumb.JPG.939655bad9221bed6c5f9

 

PSU EVGA 500W

IMG_0856.thumb.JPG.e9306ed0fcdce0c8c9d8f

 

Case - DIYPC (forgot model)

IMG_0859.thumb.JPG.045419313d8b610dc913b

 

250GB Seagate Used HDD

IMG_0863.thumb.JPG.93d6ccdfc8c24de8a9b08IMG_0866.thumb.JPG.1fa42b2c5347bdf56c654

Gaming Benchmarks:

Spoiler

WAIT PLSSSSS

CPU Benchmarks:

Spoiler

pls :(

Comparison to Steamroller (Athlon 860K)

 

Spoiler

y u no listen

Link to post
Share on other sites

I want CPU benches.


Spoiler

Remember to quote me or tag me to get my attention in a post!

Spoiler

Yukuru (Main rig): R5 2400G | Noctua L9a | VTX R9 Nano 4GB | 2x8GB G-Skill Ripjaws DDR4-2800 (@2400MHz) | ASRock A300M-STX | 128GB Plextor M6s + 2TB Seagate FireCuda 2TB 5400RPM SSHD | Delta 120W Power brick (Thanks @iamdarkyoshi) | Custom Case (Build log| MSX

Spoiler

Blast From the Past (Disassembled and decommissioned as of the 7th of December, 2016, you will be missed): Asus A8Js | C2D T7200 @ 2GHz | Nvidia Go 7700 512MB DDR2 | 2x1GB DDR2-667 Kingston RAM | Hitachi TravelStar 5K160 160GB 5400 HDD | Win7 Pro

Spoiler

Laptop: MacBook Pro 13.3 inch late 2013 model i7-4558U (2C/4T @ 3.3GHz Turbo) Intel Iris 5100 graphics (1200MHz boosts) 8GB DDR3-1600 Soldered on 2560 x 1600 display (Looks very nice) Win7 Pro

Spoiler

Box (Brother's Rig): R5 1500X | Stock AMD Cooler | ASRock B450 Pro4 | Asus HD 7970 3GB Matrix Platinum | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 | Crucial BX200 240GB | Aerocool Strike-X 500W | Win7 Home Premium

Spoiler

Spiky Box (Sister's Rig): G3258 | Cooler Master Seidon 120V V2 | Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark I | Sapphire R9 290X 4GB Vapor-X | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair CX600 | Aerocool Xpredator X3 Red/Gold edition (My old case) | MSX 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Whitelist | PSU Tier List F@H stats | Mining Ethereum

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, TheRandomness said:

I want CPU benches.

That's what I'm looking forward too myself. I wanna see how fast Excavator is

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ONOTech said:

$260 Gaming PC - is it possible?

should take about 3 weeks to complete

Introduction

My little brothers needed a PC for school and their budget was about $250. I could have potentially bought them an APU and called it a day, but being the nerd I am, I researched a bit and decided to build them a somewhat decent gaming PC for $260. Here it goes

 

The Parts

Purple - ordered, Green - arrived

CPU: Athlon X4 845 - AMD's new Excavator core. It has not released yet, but I decided to pre-order it because I know it will be enough for what they do. Also, I want to try out and review Excavator & Carrizo - great time to do so. $62

Motherboard: ASUS A68HM-E - the cheapest motherboard that supports the new Athlon refresh. That's basically why I chose it. $51

Memory: 8GB DDR3-1600Mhz - cheapest 8GB kit I found. 4GB is not ideal for any type of gaming, even for multitasking to a certain extent. $29

Storage: 250GB HDD SATA - again, cheap cheap cheap. Yeah, it's small, but they can always upgrade if needed too. Their games are like 10 GB MAX each. $11

GPU: GTX 465 1GB GDDR5 - Good, old fermi. I was able to pick this up for only $45 which is a very good deal IMO. I'm excited to see how it performs in newer titles. $45

Case: DIYPC Case - Cheap, has LED fans, and USB 3.0. Perfect. $25

PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified - Cheapest power supply that can properly power the entire build (with some headroom for OC'ing if wanted). $37

 

Total: $260

 

Part 1: Parts Arriving!

Hidden Content

Gaming Benchmarks:

Hidden Content

CPU Benchmarks:

Hidden Content

 

Wow 0_0 that's amazing spending only $260 for a decent working desktop


Intel i7 6700K | MSI Krait Z170A MSI GTX 980 w/ NZXT Kraken G10/x31 Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD/WD Blue 1TB HDD NZXT H440 | K70 RGB/SteelSeries Rival

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, verydogesuchwow said:

Wow 0_0 that's amazing spending only $260 for a decent working desktop

Thanks! It took hours of research but I finally settled for this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Cereal_Killer said:

I'm looking forward to seeing how it all turns out

Be sure to follow the topic so you get instant updates :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Parts just came in (excluding the 860K - will be here tomorrow). Warning - large images. I'm using a Canon Rebel EOS SL1 w the Yungnuo 50mm lens. 

 

Graphics Card - Galaxy GTX 465

IMG_0839.thumb.JPG.59bbff17ff90be91c6ed3

 

Motherboard - A68HM-E (supports Excavator!)

IMG_0846.thumb.JPG.646f35b226f10479b49d3

IMG_0850.thumb.JPG.7b864c7b15032943b9d88

 

RAM - Averix 8GB DDR3

IMG_0852.thumb.JPG.dd056225bae6444324dd6IMG_0855.thumb.JPG.939655bad9221bed6c5f9

 

PSU EVGA 500W

IMG_0856.thumb.JPG.e9306ed0fcdce0c8c9d8f

 

Case - DIYPC (forgot model)

IMG_0859.thumb.JPG.045419313d8b610dc913b

 

250GB Seagate Used HDD

IMG_0863.thumb.JPG.93d6ccdfc8c24de8a9b08IMG_0866.thumb.JPG.1fa42b2c5347bdf56c654

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 hours ago, Frosty said:

I always thought those Galaxy cards looked funky, lol. Is that he kind with the movable fan?

Yeah, I don't really like it all that much either. Lol and yeah I believe so. I'm too scared to find out for sure thgouh 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ONOTech said:

Yeah, I don't really like it all that much either. Lol and yeah I believe so. I'm too scared to find out for sure thgouh 

That card is INCREDIBLY tacky wow!  The plastic!  Has a neat, late 90's-ish transformer vibe to it.  It's growing on me.


Current build project "Orange Crush"

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 hours ago, 2dfx said:

That card is INCREDIBLY tacky wow!  The plastic!  Has a neat, late 90's-ish transformer vibe to it.  It's growing on me.

It's slowly growing on me lol, but it is very tacky. Let's hope it runs well

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Computer is up and running. It's surprisingly quiet. Currently downloading a few games to benchmark.

 

Unfortunately, I won't be doing any CPU benchmarks because it's the 860K and not the 845 like I had hoped. :(

IMG_0880.thumb.JPG.90da69a2a0143b37e3dbcIMG_0883.thumb.JPG.60eb6609ae45cf61e36b8IMG_0882.thumb.JPG.e411da325d5a455833330IMG_0884.thumb.JPG.e8a1ed7802ae8c990c128IMG_0879.thumb.JPG.24a8ab934468d25ea1472

IMG_0881.JPG

IMG_0885.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I love those colourful front I/O connectors, lol. Not a bad little machine, I think!

Right? I guess DIYPC was feeling falmboyant when designing this. Bench-marking SMITE, Far Cry 4, Fallout 4, and Dirt 3 right now :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

I just realized that I never finished this. Sorta an abrupt conclusion, but everything is running very well. Here are some benchmarks

 

SMITE (ultra, full AA) - Min 35, Max 150, Avg 51

Dirt 3 (ultra no AA) - Min 34, Max - , Avg 46.1

Fallout 4 (med preset) - Min 19, Max 65, Avg 38

Far Cry 4 (med preset) - Min 10, Max 60, Avg 29

 

Also, a video log if interested.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ONOTech said:

I just realized that I never finished this. Sorta an abrupt conclusion, but everything is running very well. Here are some benchmarks...

 

 

Ooo, nice video man! Not bad for 260 bucks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×